Restore MBR of Win7 with Recovery DVD using bootsect.exe

Hi!

I used to have a dual boot with Ubuntu and Windows 7. I now deleted the Ubuntu partition from Windows as I did not want it anymore. Now to restore the MBR so that I can boot to Windows, I intend to use the instructions here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html

These instructions say that the restoration can be done with the Recovery DVD that can be created with any installation of Windows 7. However, my Recovery DVD does not seem to have bootsect.exe in the boot folder. I loaded the disc into my drive and navigated to it using windows explorer. Is bootsect.exe actually present but i can't see it or something? How do I proceed to fix my MBR?

Some ideas i have:

• Use my installation disc to fix mbr, which i have done before successfully. But i do not want to do this because i will soon be getting a laptop from dell that does not come with the installation disc. How would I do a restore for that if needed? I thought i should figure it out right now.
  • Download the recovery disc from here and see f this disc has bootsect.exe

I would have posted this comment on the forum mentioned above itself, but I was unable register there for various reasons :p

Answer
Answer

EasyBCD is primarily used to change/modify the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) store and the menu you see on a multi boot system. Its not designed to repair the Master Boot Record (MBR) which is why I posted the bootrec commands.

You many need to run Startup Repair several times (step J) several times for Startup Repair to fully repair your OS.

JS
http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Grub does mess it up, start the repair process at step g, this worked for another person who used grub.

f) Now from the menu list select the ‘Command Prompt’ option.

g) At the DOS prompt type the following three commands:

bootrec.exe  /fixmbr

bootrec.exe  /fixboot (may return an 'Eliment not found' message)

bootrec.exe  /RebuildBcd

h) Close the command prompt window and click the ‘Startup Repair’ option.

i) The repair process may take some time, so wait until the process completes at which point you will see two messages “Windows cannot repair this computer automatically” and “Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically”.

These messages are the result of the radical changes made by removing the other OS.

J) Close this message window by clicking on the X in the upper right corner of the Send/Don’t send window. Next click on the ‘View advanced options for system recovery and support’ option and from the main menu once again click ‘Startup Repair’. This time the repair process may only that a few seconds and when prompted “Startup Repair could not detect a problem”, click ‘Finish’  and run the ‘Startup Repair’ option one more time, click ‘Finish’, and then remove the System Repair DVD and click ‘Restart’.  Reboot the computer.

JS
http://www.pagestart.com

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2020 Views 49,917 Applies to: