hennyhorowitz
Had this question 6
Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
hennyhorowitz asked on

Process to perform clean install w/W7 Upgrade SKU

How will you need to substantiate that you have a previous version of W2K, XP or Vista during a clean install process using the W7 upgrade media? (ex: insert old disk, enter old key, install twice, etc)
David. F
Found this helpful 0
Answer
David. F replied on
Microsoft

Hello,

To install from the Upgrade DVD, you will need to run the installer from within an existing Windows installation.

I hope this helps.

David
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If a post solves your problem, be sure to mark it as an answer and if there is a helpful post, be sure to vote it as helpful to assist others in finding solutions easier.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.
Carey Frisch
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Carey Frisch replied on

In order to install the upgrade version of Windows 7, you must have a qualifying Windows operating system installed and activated.  You cannot install an upgrade version of Windows 7 on a blank hard drive.  The installation procedure does not ask you to insert a Windows disc in the drive for verification, the actual qualifying operating system must be installed.
If you do not have a qualifying Windows operating system installed with a genuine license activated, then you cannot use the upgrade version of Windows 7 - you would need a "full version" Windows 7 license.

In summary:

1. A qualifying Windows operating system must be installed.
2. The qualifying Windows operating system must have a genuine license (product key) and it must be activated.
3. To upgrade, boot to the qualifying Windows desktop, insert the Windows 7 Upgrade disc in the DVD drive.
4. When the setup menu appears, select Custom (advanced) to initiate a clean install procedure.

Carey Frisch
Windows Expert - Consumer
Jonathan Matthis aka 7tester
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Jonathan Matthis aka 7tester replied on
Yes. This is why you get a discounted price on an upgrade disc, you must have either XP or Vista to upgrade and will be prompted for such during a clean installation. An version of Windows prior to XP is not eligiable for an upgrade.
Jonathan Matthis aka "7tester" on MSN QnA
Chief Site Administrator
Windows 7 QnA
http://windows 7qna.ning.com
hennyhorowitz
Found this helpful 0
hennyhorowitz replied on

That didn't answer my question.  Yes, I realize that I need to own the previous OS that allows the upgrade to W7.  What does "prompted for such" really mean?

My question is how do I perform a clean install with the upgrade version of W7? (assuming I have the previous products for substantiating my upgrade).

Let's say I'm ready to install W7 on a freshly formatted HD and I have my old copy of Win XP by my side.

Do I need to install XP first? (that implies 2 complete/time consuming OS installs).  Or do I simply insert my XP disk sometime during the W7 install process to substantiate my previous ownership?  Or do I give W7 my XP key sometime during the install process?

Is the upgrade substantiation process the same for old Vista users?

P.S. The MS Store also lists W2K as a valid  "previous product" for the purpose of qualifying for an upgrade version of W7. Is this not the case?

Thanks
ccpeters
Found this helpful 0
ccpeters replied on

Reply In reply to deleted message

Are you positive about that? I've been reading other entries from Microsoft MVP's that state "you have to start the installation process from the Windows desktop to do a clean install from upgrade media." Now I want to believe what  you've said here, but can you double check and tell us FOR SURE that you do not have to have a Windows OS already installed in order to do a clean install from a Windows 7 Upgrade DVD?
David. F
Found this helpful 0
Answer
David. F replied on
Microsoft

Hello,

To install from the Upgrade DVD, you will need to run the installer from within an existing Windows installation.

I hope this helps.

David
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If a post solves your problem, be sure to mark it as an answer and if there is a helpful post, be sure to vote it as helpful to assist others in finding solutions easier.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.
Carey Frisch
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Carey Frisch replied on

In order to install the upgrade version of Windows 7, you must have a qualifying Windows operating system installed and activated.  You cannot install an upgrade version of Windows 7 on a blank hard drive.  The installation procedure does not ask you to insert a Windows disc in the drive for verification, the actual qualifying operating system must be installed.
If you do not have a qualifying Windows operating system installed with a genuine license activated, then you cannot use the upgrade version of Windows 7 - you would need a "full version" Windows 7 license.

In summary:

1. A qualifying Windows operating system must be installed.
2. The qualifying Windows operating system must have a genuine license (product key) and it must be activated.
3. To upgrade, boot to the qualifying Windows desktop, insert the Windows 7 Upgrade disc in the DVD drive.
4. When the setup menu appears, select Custom (advanced) to initiate a clean install procedure.

Carey Frisch
Windows Expert - Consumer
desmithnc
Found this helpful 0
desmithnc replied on

Carey Frish,

I liked your Summary of how to:

One question for you, can I do the same install going from Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit licensed to the upgrade Windows 7 Professional 64bit using your directions for a clean install?

One other question do I need to have on my flash drive the 64bit drivers needed for the video card ready or will Windows 7 do that for me? install the new drivers?

Dan Smith
mauryp
Found this helpful 0
mauryp replied on

Carey Frish,

I liked your Summary of how to:

One question for you, can I do the same install going from Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit licensed to the upgrade Windows 7 Professional 64bit using your directions for a clean install?

One other question do I need to have on my flash drive the 64bit drivers needed for the video card ready or will Windows 7 do that for me? install the new drivers?

Dan Smith

To clarify: using the Vista Home Premium Upgrade W7 package, but electing a clean install after starting the W7 installation from within my 32bit Vista OS, can I elect to install the 64bit W7 Home Premium version? If so, are there any issues with activation using the supplied 'Upgrade' Product Key?