Problem using Win7 USB/DVD download tool (concerning bootsect.exe)

Hi, I am a student, (at the Florida Institute of Technology).  And I used digital river to buy a version of win7 professional for my laptop.

Now the laptop i am currently using is xp 32bit.  I got it right when vista was coming out and it was supposed to work with vista, but the reviews were so bad that i never used it.

So now i want to install 64bit win7, and i use the tool (and read the help) but I cannot get the correct version of bootsect.exe, so that I can create a valid bootable USB on this computer, so that I can format and install win7 64bit on this same computer.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi nkarl2009,

Welcome to Microsoft answers!

a. Do you get any error message whatsoever?

To make the USB device bootable, you need to run a tool named bootsect.exe. In some cases, this tool needs to be downloaded from your Microsoft Store account. This many happen if you're trying to create a 64-bit bootable USB device from a 32-bit version of Windows. To download bootsect:

1. Login to your Microsoft Store account to view your purchase history
2. Look for your Windows 7 purchase
3. Next to Windows 7, there is an "Additional download options" dropdown
4. In the dropdown, select the "32-bit ISO" option
5. Right-click the link and save the bootsect.exe file to the location where you installed the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (e.g. C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Apps\Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool)
6. Once the file has been saved, go back to the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to create your bootable USB device

To install 64-bit of Windows 7 on your computer it is essential that your computer supports 64-bit computing.

The terms 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's processor (also called a CPU), handles information. The 64-bit version of Windows handles large amounts of random access memory (RAM) more effectively than the 32-bit version.

Follow the steps mentioned below to find out if your PC is running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows and what edition of Windows is on your PC:

Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

• If "x64 Edition" is listed under System, you’re running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.
• If you don’t see "x64 Edition" listed under System, you’re running the 32-bit version of Windows XP.

The edition of Windows XP you're running is displayed under System near the top of the window.

Refer the link below for more information on frequently asked questions about 32-bit and 64-bit Windows:

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

I’d suggest you to access the Microsoft link given below for detailed info about the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool, frequently asked questions, and troubleshooting steps to be carried out:

Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool
http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Gokul - Microsoft Support

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've got the EXACT same problem (bought my win 7 64 bit ed. from digitial river), but your solution won't work for me! I don't have a "microsoft store account" because I purchased the ISO image from digital river, and the never provided me with an account number (or the bootsect file I need).

Any other solutions?

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem - there's no record of a Microsoft Store account because I bought through digital river!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem with Bootsect.  i called a Microsoft tech and they have to call em back.  I also purchase this software through Digital River.  is there another way to get this bootsect.exe file do i can boot from my flashdrive?

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, same issue. Purchased through Digital River and don't have a Microsoft Store Account, so I can't find the right bootsect.exe file to create a bootable USB drive.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem with the french canadian version from digital river.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Refer the following article:

Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool Creates Bootable USB Flash Drive
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-7-usb-dvd-download-tool-bootable-flash-drive/

Cheers!

'Tis all a chequer board of nights and days,
Where destiny with men for pieces plays;
Hither and thither, and mates, and slays.

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?! Life sucks! Get used to it!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As many have mentioned before me, people who obtained a 64 bit copy of Win7 through Digital River cannot access the specified version of bootsect.exe to successfully create a boot USB for the 64 bit Windows 7 on a 32 bit computer. I too request you to look into this and contact us with a viable solution for us as soon as possible.

I think I can make a bootable USB if I can get hold of someone's 64 bit computer, and create the boot USB on their system. But right now I do not know anyone with such a system, so please look into the matter.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We DON'T have access to Microsoft store because we bought from Digital River. Please think more about the situation than put a link to something we saw previously.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue; Running 32 bit XP Pro downloaded the Student Win7 64 Upgrade ISO from Digital River. Downloaded the Windows7 USB DVD Download Tool and tried to install on a blank formatted 8 GB USB drive  Works fine  ALMOST.. but get the error that need the bootsect.exe
After researching this it appears this has been going on far too long. If they have a solution it should be posted, if they do not then they should say flat out that what we are attempting to do is not possible. I would have then purchased their DVD! In my case I have a DVD drive I can use.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 16, 2023 Views 378,780 Applies to: