Is a PHONETIC Russian keyboard layout available for an input language?

I want to change my input language to Russian, but the options already installed in the control panel do not suit my needs--I would prefer a keyboard layout that is phonetically organized, because that's how I learned to type in Russian on my old computer, which ran XP.  Is there any way that I can download and install a phonetic Russian input language?  I tried with my old one, but it doesn't seem to work with Win 7; it ends up typing out gobbledygook.

So, I'd like either to download and install a phonetic Russian keyboard layout, or learn to change the existent one.  thank you!
Answer
Answer

Hello Elizabeth Fagan,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forum!

To understand the issue better, please let us know the details mentioned below:

a)     Which edition of windows 7 are you running currently?

b)    Which is the phonetic Russian language software that you are trying to use in windows 7?

I would suggest you to install the same software in compatibility mode which you were using in windows Xp. To do so, please follow the steps below:

Right click on the setup icon > click on properties > click on compatibility tab > under compatibility tab, you have to check “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select windows vista from the drop down menu and apply the settings.

If this doesn’t helps, I would suggest you to you search with your favorite search engines and find for any third party phonetic Russian language pack software and install it on the computer.

NOTE: Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Also note :The Language pack is available in Ultimate and Enterprise editions of windows 7, if you have Windows Ultimate or Enterprise edition you may follow the steps below and install the language pack and verify whether it works.

To download and install a Windows 7 language pack, follow these steps:

1.    Start Microsoft Update. To do this, click Start, type Microsoft Update in the Start Search box, and then click Microsoft Update in the Programs list.

2.    Click the optional update links for the language packs.

3.    Under the Windows 7 Language Packs category, select the desired language pack.

Note: If you install many additional language packs, the disk space and system performance are affected. In particular, disk space and system performance are affected during servicing operations, such as Service Pack installations. Therefore, we recommend that you only add a language pack to your computer if you will use the language pack.

4.    Click OK, and then click Install updates to start the download and installation process.

For more information on how to install language pack, please refer to the article below: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972813

Also for additional information, you can refer to the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Download-a-language-pack-to-get-handwriting-recognition-for-another-language

I hope this information helps. Please get back to us if you have any more questions about this issue.

Thanks and Regards
Mir - Microsoft Answers Support Engineer                                                               
Visit our http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 3, 2021 Views 12 Applies to: