installing win 7 - invalid partition table

hi im trying to install windows 7 from my USB drive, ive tried more then one usb, and I currently have debian installed on the machine but my problem is when booting with the usb which i created with the "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool", it tells me "Invalid partition table" and nothing else, it does not boot or anything, just a black screen with that text when I use my USB stick with win 7 install files as boot device.

32 bit computer and 32 bit installation is being used...

any help? I cant give more error info because there is none, thanks for reading

Hi Johan,

1.    Are you trying to install a new copy of Windows 7 Operating System?

2.    Are you using the same setup files for all the USB drives?

All computer data is stored on drives, most commonly hard disk drives. These drives are divided into sections called "partitions." Most computers have one partition per hard drive. Each partition is treated by the operating system as though it were a separate drive. The properties of each drive's partitions are stored in a special file called a "partition table." If the partition table is damaged or missing, the drive will not function properly, and if the drive has the computer's operating system installed on it, the computer may not boot.

Note
:
When installing Windows and Debian on one shared hard disk, it is important to consider the partition layout first. Windows' automatic installation, as of Windows 7, normally creates one 100 MB bootloader partition and occupies the rest of the disk for system, software and data.

Refer to the following article for more information.

Windows Dual Boot - How to run Debian smoothly in dual boot with Windows

Booting from Windows

Note: Please take a backup of all important data before you install.

I would suggest you to contact
Debian and check if there is any settings that we are missing or needs to enable before installing Windows 7.

Getting in Contact with Us

Keep us posted on the status of the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok so i mailed the debian team about this and they said that its not possible to install windows again like this after installing debian so i followed some confusing guide about how to format the harddrive so i can install windows again but it failed ofc and now i get some other error when booting which i just cant bother dealing with so now I will try to open my laptop and take the harddrive out and put it in my desktop and to format it this way, if possible. But it will most likely not work eather.

This is the last time i touch linux on my own accord!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Johan,

Thank you for the update.

Note: Please take a backup of all important data before you install.

Once you remove the Hard Drive and connect to Desktop then, I would suggest you check if you can create a different partition and check if you can installing Windows 7 on the new partition.

Note: If the issue still persist, then we may have to format the driver and then install Windows 7 Operating System.

Hope it helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2022 Views 6,020 Applies to: