Clean Install & Partitioning Hard Drive in Windows 7

Hi - I have ordered Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Edition.  I am wanting to wipe my hard drive clean when I install this upgrade.  First of all, I was wondering if that is possible installing Windows 7 from an Upgrade Edition.  Second of all, I was wondering if the upgrade software will automatically partition my hard drive upon install or if that is even necessary.  My hard drive is currently partitioned simply because it automatically was that way when I bought it.  Thank for any help!
Answer
Answer
Yes you have to leave the older verision of Windows on their, but then Windows 7 will give you the option of doing a clean install, which will then allow you to remove vista or xp.  But in order for Windows to verify the upgrade it has to originally detect vista or xp, then you can choose to do a clean install and make a new partition (if you want).  Or it will give you the option to just write over vista; which personally for me that option scares me.  I plan on doing a clean install and going from 32bit to 64bit.  I actuall wiped everything on my HD and put a fresh copy of vista on just so it does the verification when I upgrade tomorrow to windows 7.
Mysty723
Mysty723

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
You cannot install a Windows 7 Upgrade edition on a hard drive that does not have a qualifying Windows operating system (i.e. Windows XP or Vista) actually installed.  Installation of Windows 7 on a blank hard drive would require a Full License edition of Windows 7.
Carey Frisch
Windows Expert - Consumer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2021 Views 43,707 Applies to: