Can I install my retail version Windows 7 on my laptop?

Product Activation

Seasonal Greetings!

I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium. The laptop is running correctly, but I find the various add ons installed by Toshiba rather irritating. I also own a retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium - not OEM - which I have installed on a home built computer. Is it acceptable to use my disk to reinstall on the Toshiba laptop - provided I use the Product Key attached to the laptop, not the one supplied with the disk? I assume that the laptop Product Key will never have been specifically activated, as Toshiba is a large manufacturer with special arrangements, but, as I would not be recovering the original installation, would the Product Key be accepted?

Thanking you in anticipation of your help. (Not urgent)

Answer
Answer
After installing Home Premium from the disk you will need to use phone activation with the laptops product key to activate.

Phone Activation

Note: if you are still installing Windows and at the Enter Your Product Key page, do not enter your key and uncheck "Automatically Activate When Online" then click OK/Next to finish the installation.

1. Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, clicking Properties, and then clicking Activate Windows now.‌
2. Click Show me other ways to activate.
3. Type your Windows 7 product key, and then click Next.
4. Click Use the automated phone system. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
5. Click the location nearest you from the drop-down list, and then click Next.
6. Call one of the available phone numbers listed.

7. Hold and wait for someone to pick up (don't select any options), then explain what happened.

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
There shouldn't be any issues doing that.
-^-Bazinga-^-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 13, 2020 Views 242 Applies to: