hannibal0
Had this question 8
Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
hannibal0 asked on

ACER WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM X64 OEM/ ON RETAIL EDIT???

Could some shed some light on my problem-I have an ACER ASPIRE DESKTOP PRE INSTALLED WIN7 HOME PREMIUM OEM X64 – it is needing a complete clean re install, only thing is i dont have a windows 7 home premium OEM DVD- I only have a retail win7 dvd that I purchased a while ago for my partner- so is it possible to use the win 7 home premium DVD RETAIL to re install my ACER OEM?

does it work by changing the ei.cfg file from – CHANNEL – RETAIL TO OEM?

Or just by removing the ei.cfg file?

would any of the above work and if not is there another way around this??

Now for what i mention on the above and having read the microsoft laws i am assuming this is boarder line from being illegal.

as all of the above has been purchased by myself.

thanks

hannibal0
Found this helpful 0
Answer
hannibal0 replied on

Basically i want to do a clean install on my acer pc which came pre install with win 7 on it and get shot of all the bloatware, for the amount of things i do on my pc it needs a clean install once a year, but to do a recovery im back with all the ____ i started with.
TrekDozer
Found this helpful 0
TrekDozer replied on
The computer should have a recovery partition you can use to reinstall/reset Windows 7 - check your user manual for how to access it.

If you want:

Create A System Image In Windows 7

After you install and activate Windows 7 create a system image as a backup for your current computer in case you ever need to reinstall it. That will save you the trouble of having to reinstall Windows 7 and everything currently installed again, and it takes much less time to do.

1.  Click the Start Menu and type "Back Up" then click on Back up your Files. 
2.  In the Control Panel window that appears, Click the blue Create a system image link.
3.  The Create a system image window should pop-up.  Select which hard disk, DVD, or network location you are going to save your system image to.  Click Next to continue.
4.  On the next page check both your System and System Reserved drives.  Once you have selected the drives Click Next to continue. Note: You can select as many drives as you want (if available), but the more you choose to include means the larger the image size will be.
5.  The next window is just a review, make sure everything is correct then Click Start backup to start the process.  This can take 10 minutes or more so patience is required.
6.  After the backup completes, you’ll be prompted with the option to create a system repair disc.  This is a good idea just in case your system has any problems in the future.  Click Yes.
7.  Choose which Disc Recording drive you’ll be using to burn the disc.  Insert a blank CD or DVD to the physical drive and then Click Create disc.

How To Restore Windows 7 from a System Image
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7702/restoring-windows-7-from-an-image-backup

You can also use a free hard drive imaging program.

Reflect Disk Imaging:
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition:
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/download.html

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.
hannibal0
Found this helpful 0
hannibal0 replied on

YES BUT THERE IS ALL THAT BLOATWARE THAT I DONT WANT AND THE RECOVERY PARTITION YOU TALK ABOUT DOES NOT RE INSTALL AS A CLEAN INSTALL BUT JUST TAKES THE PC RIGHT BACK TO FACTORY SETTINGS ALONG WITH ALL THE BLOATWARE.

WHAT I NEED TO DO TO IS A CLEAN INSTALL BUT WANT TO KNOW IF I CAN EDIT THE EI.CFG FILE TO MAKE OEM INSTEAD OF RETAIL.
hannibal0
Found this helpful 0
Answer
hannibal0 replied on

Basically i want to do a clean install on my acer pc which came pre install with win 7 on it and get shot of all the bloatware, for the amount of things i do on my pc it needs a clean install once a year, but to do a recovery im back with all the ____ i started with.
Nathan Hobbs
Found this helpful 0
Nathan Hobbs replied on

Same problem, Acer 5532 Laptop... has anyone found a solution?
NonSuch
Found this helpful 0
NonSuch replied on
MVP

Use your recovery partition and then use the free version of the PC Decrapifier to get rid of the bloat...

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/
http://www.malwareremoval.com/university.php
CaveManLawyer
Found this helpful 0
CaveManLawyer replied on

Ok here's the grim reality. I have spent alot of time figuring out what's going on here.  Let me first start by saying I have an acer 5534 that came installed with win7 home prem.  Now all partitions were infected by some very bad malware that restoring wouldn't fix.  So I thought i'd just erase everything and download the same exact operating system and use my win7 code on the bottom of the computer.  NOT HAPPENING, u can't use it even if it's the same exact OS.  This is a scam by the manufacturer so that you'll have to buy the cd from them.  I verified this through both manufacturer and microsoft customer support. So basically it forces you to either be a sucker and pay again for something you already paid for or to be a pirate.  It's bad business practices and microsoft isn't the least bit interested in helping you out, trust me.  My next course of action will be looking to see if anyone uploaded the ISO of acers win7 home premium cd :).  If that doesn't work then I'll microwave my lap top and take it in since i still have a warranty on it and get a new one.  Oh yeah, I think it would be a good idea to hunt around, maybe some super computer savy person has put instructions up on how to make the retail copy replicate the Manufacturers copy. Might be something simple like changing around some numbers , who knows!