toshiba satellite c655-s5132 touchpad stopped working

I bought this laptop used & the touchpad isn't working, but other than that it is in great shape  The drivers for the touchpad are installed but the cursor will only work with a usb mouse.  If the usb mousse is removed the touch pad will not work & in device mgr the mice & other pointing devices & human interface device disappear.  I have tried all the following:
#1 verified in bios that the touchpad is selected 'on or enabled'
#2 fn/f9 keys turn the touchpad on/off & I make sure it is 'enabled'
#3 reinstalled the drivers for the touchpad I got off of Toshiba's website
#4 enabled/restated flash cards
#5 placed the touchpad executable driver in startup to make sure it was being run
#6 ran the windows troubleshooter to see if it saw any problems & it found none
#7 looked for any driver conflicts but there are none
#8 ran sfc scannow but it said all was ok
#9 checked in the registry to make sure all looked ok & all looked ok
#10 have done all the updates available

Nothing has worked!  Help?

Hello Robby,

Since you have tried all possible troubleshooting methods, it looks like the issue might be caused due to virus or third party application or the hardware itself.

Perform the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1:

Download Microsoft Safety Scanner then scan your computer for virus and malwares then check how it works.

You can download Microsoft Safety Scanner from the link "Microsoft Safety Scanner".

Note:  The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again. Any data that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the entire data, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Method 2:

Place the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps. This is to diagnose if any third party application is causing the issue.

You can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

To set the computer in clean boot, follow the steps from the link: How to perform a clean boot

Note: After checking in clean boot, follow the step “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” from the article to reset the computer to normal boot.

Method 3:

If this doesn’t fix the issue, then I would suggest you to create new user account and check how it works with new user account.

Refer to the link “Create a user account” to create new user account.

If it works in new user account, then the other user should be a corrupted.

To fix the corrupted user account, follow the steps from article: Fix a corrupted user profile

If none of methods work, then the issue is with the hardware itself. I would suggest you to check with Manufacturer’s support for more information.

http://support.toshiba.com/

I hope this helps you to fix the issue. If you have any other issues with Windows, please do post it in Microsoft Community. We would be happy to help you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I will try all that you have suggested here.  When I bought this laptop the original owner had just done a fresh re-install of the OS bring the laptop back to it's new out of box state.  One of the limited 30-days features was a paid version of AVG which I activated by running it & I always make sure in the options of every anti-virus scanner I use that I have that program check 'everything',

I'm aware that AVG is not what one would consider one of the best anti-virus programs so after I follow all your suggestions if this laptop still doesn't work I will download & run under their 30 trial version PC Pools Internet Security/Spyware Doctor which I know is considered one of the best programs of its kind.

I've set that troublesome laptop on the side for now due to all the aggrevation it caused me in not being able to get that touchpad working so far.  I will try your suggestions in a couple of days.  Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, I tried all of those suggestions but none worked. 
I even went into my 'event viewer' to see if any errors there might account for this issue but found none to attribute to my touchpad not working. 
Created a new user with Administrator rights & rebooted into this new user profile but still nothing!
Took the keyboard off & could see the connection/ribbon cable of the touchpad was connected.  I pushed a bit more on it to make sure it was fully seated & it was fine.
I have a oem version of windows 7 home premium I can reload onto this Toshiba laptop & I have gone out to Toshiba's website & downloaded all the drivers I think I'll need for a fresh reinstall.  Only thing is it will not be a Toshiba looking OS anymore!
I actually took apart the complete top of this laptop & could see there is a small circuit board for the touchpad I could replace.  After that it is the motherboard however if a fresh reinstall doesn't fix it I will live with the touchpad not working.
I did look at Toshiba FAQ & Help Community before I posted here & I did find some suggestions but like here they didn't work.  I also googled this problem & read all the forms but none of those cures fixed my non-working touchpad!  I was surprised at how many have this kind of a problem! 
Never experienced a problem this difficult before I couldn't solve especially with some help!

Thank you for your consideration.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ok, I did all this & then some with no positive results so my last resort was to reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS.  Successfully installed Win7 with all the needed drives (which I accumulated before doing this) & still my touchpad didn't work so now I was certain it was not in anyway software related.  So once again I went back to disassembling the KB & reexamining the touchpad ribbon cable connection/connector.  The problem is what I think is called the 'locking clip'.  Each side is different & if it is wrongly used to secured that touchpad ribbon cable to the motherboard connector it has to be attached to, the touchpad will not make the necessary connection to work!  Therefore it will not show up in Device Manager.  I removed this touchpad locking clip & turned it over & reconnected it.  Presto!

And the 'locking clips' are very, very expensive.  The one for the KB on eBay sells for around $25.  There about a 5 cent piece of plastic if even that expensive but from what I can tell none of the PC manufactures sell these separately!
(referred to on eBay as keyboard cable clips = http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.Xkeyboard+cable+clips.TRS0&_nkw=keyboard+cable+clips&_sacat=0&_from=R40)

Anyhow my laptop now works perfectly, thanks for your suggestions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Robby,

Glad to hear that you were able to fix the issue and thank you for sharing the resolution with us. Let us know if you face any issues with Windows in future.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 11, 2023 Views 6,119 Applies to: