Windows 7 hangs at Starting Windows screen. Safe Mode and Start Up Repair won't load

Original Title: Windows 7 can't boot up at all. Safe Mode and Start Up Repair won't load

I recently installed Windows 7 (64 bit) on my Dell Studio XPS 13 and, while it worked great for a day and half, it will not load now. If I try to start Windows normally, it just sits at the starting Windows screen. It will stay their until either the computer dies or I shut it off. So then I try to start it in safe mode, and it gets to a certain point and then just sits there and does nothing. Start up repair won't load either (it just sits there and says loading, but like the starting Windows screen, it does nothing). I've also tried having it start with the last known working configuration, and that doesn't work either. I don't have a disc with me since I downloaded Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade through an offer for college students from Microsoft (I have those files backed up though).

Before upgrading to Windows 7, I occasionally had troubles with Vista where it would just stay at the loading windows screen, but that would go away after a while and I could resume using my computer. This, however, has been going on all day. Am I going to have to format my computer and then do a fresh install of Vista and then upgrade to Windows 7 again?

Answer
Answer
Hey guys, I had a similar problem.  What I did was reinstall Vista, downloaded ALL available updates, then unplugged EVERYTHING (except mouse, keyboard, and monitor) and then did an upgrade.  That is basically a complete reinstall anyways.  But out of 7 tries, it was the only successful install of windows 7.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 21, 2022 Views 128,227 Applies to: