kanjigirl
Had this question 60
Question
kanjigirl asked on

Windows 7 deletes all system restore points on reboot

I did a clean install of Win7 about 3 1/2 weeks ago and have had no problems. 2 days ago I discovered that no system restore points were available. After spending many hours researching the issue, I've taken the following steps but none have helped:

1. Completely uninstalled AVG and installed Microsoft Security Essentials.
  2. Tried turning off System Restore, rebooting, turning it back on.
  3. Checked the SR schedule in Task Scheduler, all seems fine. It creates restore points just fine, it just won't keep them on reboot.
  4. Scanned computer thoroughly with three different anti-malware programs, no problems found.
  5. Did a sfc /scannnow, no problems reported.

No, I'm not running a system with dual booting.

In Local Services, I have Volume Shadow Copy set to Automatic, but it's never started unless I manually start it. I don't know if that's normal or not, have been unable to find a clear answer.

In my event viewer I see many instances of these 2 errors for Volume Shadow Copy - event ID 22:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name IVssCoordinatorEx2 is [0x80040154, Class not registered
].

and event ID 8193:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80040154, Class not registered.

Please help me - I need to know what the next step(s) should be.

LarryBirdz
Found this helpful 5
Answer
LarryBirdz replied on

I had the same problem  - System Restore points were being deleted after a reboot, and Volsnap errors were logged in the System event log. Here's how I fixed it:

1: Open a command prompt

2: Type Vssadmin list shadowstorage

3: Take note of what the shadow storage allocation is on the drive you're having issues with, in my case it was C: and the allocation was 18GB.

4: Change the allocation by using the Vssadmin command, syntax: vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=1G (where Maxsize=the amount of disk space you've allocated to System Restore points. In my case it was 20 GB

5: In the case of the C: drive, the syntax would be VSSAdmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize =20G

This worked for me, after increasing the size and rebooting my restore points were still intact and no longer being deleted.

Rgds, El-Vee

kanjigirl
Found this helpful 0
kanjigirl replied on
More information about my situation: my system restore disk space usage is set at 25% right now for about 200gb of drive used. Is that adequate? Could it be less? What's the guideline for setting the usage amount?

An automatic restore point was created this morning, but all my others are once again missing.
bluemagicx
Found this helpful 0
bluemagicx replied on

This seem to be a wide spread issue. My restore point vanish after a day or 2 or after a reboot. Help
Shekhar S
Found this helpful 1
Shekhar S replied on
Microsoft

Hi,

Let us follow these steps and check if that helps us in getting rid of this error message.

Method 1.
Use the event text to determine the cause of the error condition
To use the event text to determine the cause of the error condition:
1. Click Start, click Run, type eventvwr.msc, and then click OK. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, ensure that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
2. In Event Viewer, expand Windows Logs, and then click Application.
3. To filter the events so that only events with a Source of VSS are shown, in the Actions pane, click Filter Current Log. On the Filter tab, in the Event sources drop-down list, select the checkbox for VSS. Select other options as appropriate, and then click OK.
4. To sort the displayed events by date and time, in the center pane, click the Date and Time heading.
5. Look for Event ID 22, and use the event text to identify the name of the application or service that caused the error condition.
6. If the event was caused by the COM+ Event System, see the "Check that the COM+ Event System service is started" section.
7. If the event was not caused by the COM+ Event System, see the "Use System Restore to create a manual restore point" section if your computer is running Windows 7.
8. Check that the COM+ Event System service is started
To check that the COM+ Event System service is started:
1. Click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
2. In the results pane, double-click COM+ Event System.
3. In Service status, make sure that the status is Started. If the status is not Started, click Start.
4. Ensure that Startup type is set to Automatic.
5. Click OK.

Method 2.
For the second error we need to find DGIVecp.
Try these steps:
1. Go to Start\Run and type devmgmt.msc
2. Click on View and choose to Show Hidden Devices
3. Now click the plus next to Non-Plug and Play Drivers
4. Do you now see an items listed as DGIVecp? If not, we will have to see
what this is associated with by going to the registry.
Follow these steps:
       1.  Got to start and type in regedit in the search box.
       2. Navigate to the following key.
       3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
       4. Look for an entry listed as DgiVecp.
       5. If you find this, then change the Start data value to 4.
       6.Reboot the system and see if the message is gone.
Important:
 This  method contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Back up the registry
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

Also refer this link with a similar issue for more ideas:
Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards:
Shekhar S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.
Thanks and Regards,
Shekhar Sharma
HmS-PA
Found this helpful 0
HmS-PA replied on

I have this same problem and have had it since Windows 7 was installed.  I can create restore point(s) all day if I wanted to. 

But when I reboot there is nothing there. I've done the "stop SR and re-start SR".  I've increased space allotment and turned of extra drives and partitions.

Still the same.  No restore points upon rebooting....never.

HmS
Gettysburg, PA
eboggs_jkvl
Found this helpful 0
eboggs_jkvl replied on

I have the same issue and searched to find a solution.  I didn't find this question during the search.  I can create a gazillion manual restore points and go in and find the restore points as "available" but if I reboot or shutdown for the night, when I come back, there are NO restore points in the list and it tells me that there are no restore points.

eboggs_jkvl
LarryBirdz
Found this helpful 5
Answer
LarryBirdz replied on

I had the same problem  - System Restore points were being deleted after a reboot, and Volsnap errors were logged in the System event log. Here's how I fixed it:

1: Open a command prompt

2: Type Vssadmin list shadowstorage

3: Take note of what the shadow storage allocation is on the drive you're having issues with, in my case it was C: and the allocation was 18GB.

4: Change the allocation by using the Vssadmin command, syntax: vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=1G (where Maxsize=the amount of disk space you've allocated to System Restore points. In my case it was 20 GB

5: In the case of the C: drive, the syntax would be VSSAdmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize =20G

This worked for me, after increasing the size and rebooting my restore points were still intact and no longer being deleted.

Rgds, El-Vee

CraigLarsen
Found this helpful 0
CraigLarsen replied on

Larry's solution didn't help me.  I have two Win7 computers, one laptop running 32bit and a desktop running 64bit.  I also have one XP-Pro desktop.  All are members of my domain.  System restore points are deleted on bootup on both of the Win7 machines but work normally on the XP computer.  I can create restore points but they always disappear on reboot even after performing the suggested steps above (on my Win7 machines).  Backup restore points created with my weekly system image backup do appear and are not deleted.  Microsoft thought this might have something to do with my domain it but would not troubleshoot it for me without paying the fee, which I cannot afford.  Anyone have a suggestions?

ZachBaker
Found this helpful 0
ZachBaker replied on

I had the same problem.  But my situation wasn't noticed until I NEEDED a restore point - virtual PC froze (again) and on reboot of the host, things were a bit messed up - MSE was not working, no restore points, etc.. IMHO restore points should be sturdier than this! 
Frederik Long
Found this helpful 0
Frederik Long replied on

Agreed - the System Restore facility appears to suffer from a number of flaws, same as the native image creation facility. One of my own machines exhibited the same problem. It would happily create automatic and manual restore points but it would consistently delete them at the next reboot. I spent quite some time with Microsoft support in an attempt to resolve the issue, ultimately without success. I suspect that it was caused by me resizing the disk partitions with a tool that is not yet certified for Windows 7 operation. Here are the steps we took to resolve the problem:
- Scan for viruses
- Reboot in Safe Mode to see if the restore points remain
- Use the disk manufacturer's diagnostic program to check the disk
- Run chkdsk /r on all volumes
- Run sfc /scannow
- Uninstall your virus scanner while testing
- Set the Restore Point storage level to 20%
- Make sure that there is plenty of free space on all partitions
- Disable disk defragmentation (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312067)
- Untick all items under the Startup tab of msconfig.exe
- Deactivate all non-Microsoft services under the Services tab of msconfig.exe
- Disable the Windows Defender service under the Services tab of msconfig.exe
- If you have more than one partition, disable System Restore on the System partition, then enable it on one of the other partitions and see if the problem persists.
- If you have a Windows 7 installation DVD, perform an in-place upgrade.
As I said, the problem remains unresolved and I have closed the Microsoft ticket. Re-installing Windows ultimately fixed the problem.
ElGalloviejo
Found this helpful 0
ElGalloviejo replied on

I had the same problem, albeit intermittently, on my Windows 7 x64 OS. I  fixed the problem by deactivating System Restore and installing the third party utility AyRecovery Professional.

http://www.ayrecovery.com/ayrecovery-professional/index.html

This program has performed flawlessly

Previous Previous Page of 10 Next Next