LeslieAnnD
Had this question 9
Question
LeslieAnnD asked on

Viscual C++ Runtime error. Windows 7 Explorer 8

I am getting Runtime Errors for Visual C++ that report a problem with iexplore.exe. I’m running Window 7 and Explorer 8 on a 64-bit system. I’ve followed the instructions I’ve found on various websites and nothing has worked so far (remove add-ons,malware scans), nor has Explorer troubleshooters. I noticed in my Control Panel>Programs I have the following Visual C++ programs and am wondering if I should be deleting any of the following files found there?

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923-x64 8.0.50727.4053 Aug 18, 2009

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923-x86 8.0.50727.4053 Aug 18, 2009

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Oct 12 2009

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) Oct 12 2009

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 ATL Update kb973924-x64 9.030729.4148 Dec 28, 2009

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 ATL Update kb973924-x86 9.030729.4148 Dec 28, 2009

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x64.9.0.30729.17 Dec 28, 2009

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x64.9.0.30729.4148 Jun 20, 2010

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x86.9.0.30729.17 Dec 28, 2009

Explorer always closes automatically and over the last year I have been getting blue screen crashes at least 2 or 3 time a day. I suspect they are associated with Explorer. If the files above are the right ones for my system, should I uninstall Explorer and use Safari or Google Chrome instead?

Samhrutha G
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Samhrutha G replied on
Microsoft

Hi LeslieAnnD,

For the runtime error, you may try the steps from “Let me fix it myself section” and check if it helps.

You may also run the troubleshooter from the below link: Open the Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Internet-Explorer-Performance-troubleshooter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many reasons why your system may crash due to page fault STOP error. This has many possible causes, but the most common scenarios are: Faulty drivers, Hardware issue or anti-virus software problem.

Check if the issue persists in safe mode, to boot the computer in safe mode

a.     Restart the computer and press and hold F8 key (Press and hold f8 key before the windows logo).

b.     From the advanced boot option select ‘Safe mode with networking’.

Link you may refer to: Start you computer in safe mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Samhrutha G
Found this helpful 0
Samhrutha G replied on
Microsoft

Hi LeslieAnnD,

1.     Run the Fix it from the below link and check if it helps: Fix Runtime Errors in Internet Explorer:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822521

2.     Provide us the error message or error code when you receive blue screen. Follow the steps:

a.     Click on start

b.     Right click on Computer

c.      Click on Properties

d.     In System Properties Window

e.     Click on Advanced system settings

f.       Click on Advanced tab

g.     Uncheck the option: Automatically restart

h.     Next time the issue occurs you would receive error message or error code post back with the same

Regards:

Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

LeslieAnnD
Found this helpful 0
LeslieAnnD replied on

Thanks Samhrutha. I'll try that. And thanks for a methodology of preventing an autorestart, I'm hoping that means the bluescreen will stay up long enough for me to record the info. For the last year it's only on for a few seconds, not enough enough time to even snap a pic.
LeslieAnnD
Found this helpful 0
LeslieAnnD replied on

Samhrutha. That fix (on the second page, after selecting the bottom screen shot) says it doesn't work/run on Windows 7, instead I should use Explorer Troubleshooter files. But explorer said the appropriate troubleshooter file didn't exist.
LeslieAnnD
Found this helpful 0
LeslieAnnD replied on

Samhrutha, Thank you for the hint on how to freeze the restart process so I could capture the error message. Here it is...

o2mdgx64.sys page_fault in nonpaged area.

technical info. stop. 0x00000050 (0xffffff8800cf200a4, 0x0000000000000001, 0xfffff88008280bdb, 0x0000000000000000)

o2mdgx64.sys Address: fffff88008280bdb, base at fffff8800827d000, datestamp 49b6106d.

The error messages says to disable or remove, software, hardware, software bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. That sounds like wiping the system completely and installing the system recovery reboot disc. Yikes.

I've had blue screens since the day i bought the computer (which had been a floor model and the retailer had to reinstall software before handing it over to me). Used to happen 6-8 times a day. After upgrading to windows 7 now happens maybe 1-3 times a day.

see my note below in second message, about the Runtime error.

Samhrutha G
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Samhrutha G replied on
Microsoft

Hi LeslieAnnD,

For the runtime error, you may try the steps from “Let me fix it myself section” and check if it helps.

You may also run the troubleshooter from the below link: Open the Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Internet-Explorer-Performance-troubleshooter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many reasons why your system may crash due to page fault STOP error. This has many possible causes, but the most common scenarios are: Faulty drivers, Hardware issue or anti-virus software problem.

Check if the issue persists in safe mode, to boot the computer in safe mode

a.     Restart the computer and press and hold F8 key (Press and hold f8 key before the windows logo).

b.     From the advanced boot option select ‘Safe mode with networking’.

Link you may refer to: Start you computer in safe mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Regards:

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

LeslieAnnD
Found this helpful 0
LeslieAnnD replied on

Hi again Samhrutha

I've given up on the Runtime error by abandoning Internet Explorer and by using Chrome.

For the blue screen error I took my computer in for repair. Twice. But am still getting blue screens. They checked all the drivers, reinstalled Windows 7 and I think even looked at the bios. During their multi-day testing (with Chrome and Word open) my computer never crashed. But it crashed for me within 45 minutes of bringing it home when the only program I had open was Outlook (with Shaw Secure for security). Outlook also crashes frequently. If I close OUtlook and leave my computer running overnight it doesn't crash. So I'm beginning to think the problem is Outlook related. So considering that, and with the page fault error I'm getting, what might be the potential fix. I hope you don't say reinstall Outlook :) 

Here's the latest blue screen info

technical info. stop. 0x00000050 (0xffffff8800cdb90a4, 0x0000000000000001, 0xfffff8800afa6bdb, 0x0000000000000000)

o2mdgx64.sys Address: fffff8800afa6bdb, base at fffff8800afa3000, datestamp 49b6106d.

Many thanks.