gaming scholar
Had this question 5
Question
gaming scholar asked on

explorer.exe Application error The instruction at 0x77B9A9D0 referenced memory at 0x73B66008. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0x0000185

Original title: Won't load desktop and explorer.exe gets application error

I'm really not sure what to do with this one.  I've been hunting all over the net for answers but I just can't seem to get them.

Basically what's happened is it won't load my desktop at all.  It shows the background picture all pretty like, but it won't load even the start button.  I can get the task manager going, but that's about it.  I once got it into safe mode with the command prompt, but I don't know enough about DOS to do any good with that.  The only other piece of info I can give you is an error message that appears every so often.

explorer.exe Application error
The instruction at 0x77B9A9D0 referenced memory at 0x73B66008. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0x0000185.

That's all it says, and I have no idea what that means.

This is on an Asus netbook, so there are no drives available to me other than USB.  I'm running Windows 7 Starter on it and nothing has been changed.  I tried creating a new profile in the command prompt, but it has the same problem.  I also can't get the Task Manager to start a new task to try anything else.

Any ideas?

Mouneshwar R
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Mouneshwar R replied on
Microsoft

Hi gaming scholar,

Do you receive the same error message when you try to boot into regular safe mode?

If you receive the same error message when you try to boot into safe mode, then I would suggest you to perform a check disk from system recovery options. Follow the steps mentioned below.

Step 1: Perform a check disk from Windows Recovery Options

a.    In the command prompt, type chkdsk /rand press Enter.

NOTE: Answer Y when chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Vista boots (restarts).

Note:  /r = The /r switch tells chkdsk to attempt to recover any bad sectors of the hard drive if any are found. A bad sector is a spot on the hard drive that cannot hold saved data anymore. If you’ve any data on that sector, you’ll lose that.

Step 2: Use memory diagnostic tool from Windows Recovery options

Visit the link below to know how to run Windows Memory Diagnostics from system recovery options.

How to run Windows Memory Diagnostics from system recovery options

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Step 3: Perform a system restore

If the above steps fail, then perform a system restore from the system recovery options.

You can visit the link provided in step 2 that contains steps to perform system restore from system recovery options.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]