TuckerCCC
Had this question 8
Question
TuckerCCC asked on

Cancel Chkdsk In Progress from Command Prompt

I am using Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. I ran chkdsk to fix a corrupted folder on an external hard drive. I booted up the Command Prompt as Administrator, unmounted the external drive, and ran chkdsk /r. It proceeded to recover all of the files I wanted, but then it found another corrupted folder that I thought I had deleted. I do not need or want this other folder, but chkdsk has taken the last 72 hours or so trying to fix it. Let me be clear, chkdsk is not frozen. Every two-five hours it updates saying that it successfully recovered another file. There are hundreds of files in that folder. I am looking for a way to stop chkdsk without hurting the uncorrupted parts of my external drive.

Thanks for any response.

TuckerCCC
Found this helpful 1
Answer
TuckerCCC replied on

Hi,

Since I was running chkdsk from the Administrator Command Prompt on an external hard drive I didn't need to do a hard restart. I just closed the command prompt. It seems to have not caused any damage. The files it claimed to have recovered are now accessible. So everything seems to have worked out.

Arya S Asok
Found this helpful 0
Arya S Asok replied on

Hi TuckerCCC,

Please note that it is not recommended to stop or interrupt the chkdsk running on the computer until it completes by itself.

If you feel the need to stop it the only option would be to do a hard restart by turning off the power of the computer. If you turn off the computer and restart it you will have to delete the files that it’s scanning first and later try to run the chkdsk again. 

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R

Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

TuckerCCC
Found this helpful 1
Answer
TuckerCCC replied on

Hi,

Since I was running chkdsk from the Administrator Command Prompt on an external hard drive I didn't need to do a hard restart. I just closed the command prompt. It seems to have not caused any damage. The files it claimed to have recovered are now accessible. So everything seems to have worked out.

Arya S Asok
Found this helpful 0
Arya S Asok replied on

HiTuckerCCC,

We are glad to hear that the issue has been fixed.  Please feel free to contact us back, in case you face any other issues in future.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R

Microsoft Support.

Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Chimel
Found this helpful 4
Chimel replied on
This is ridiculous, it does not tell for how long it will run, the 4 first stages are pretty fast, but stage 4 alone would take 5 full days according to the progress numbers, not even mentioning stage 5.

I had to close the Command Prompt window too, as it was not possible to run it for so long, and it was using up all the RAM in my system, making the computer unusable for at least 5 days.

There should be a way to interrupt it with CTRL+C without losing the integrity of the disk repair, for instance so it does not interrupt right when you press CTRL+C, but after a few microseconds or seconds, when it's done processing a whole entry. And a way to resume from that stage when the computer is idle again. And certainly not use all the RAM.

This tool really does not seem to be adapted to the modern terabytes disks.
Matt_001
Found this helpful 1
Matt_001 replied on

I ran a cleanup program that ADG recommended after a scan of my C: Drive. It turned out to be a CHKDSK scan. I have no idea if there were any other parameters given to the chkdsk command. It has been scanning now for about 14 hours,  says it is on stage 4 of 5, and it has been on the same file number for more than 8 hours. Is this normal? I am afraid to hard boot the machine but I don't want to stare at a stuck machine for an indefinite time period either. Thanks for any help you can provide. 
Chimel
Found this helpful 1
Chimel replied on

Microsoft Support recommends praying...  ^-^
DLAdmin
Found this helpful 3
DLAdmin replied on

Is there any logic behind not implementing a "safe" method to stop chkdsk while it is running? Or even just a "Not Recommended, less hazardous exit routine", one which would stop the disk activity and maybe 'Mark' in some method where in the 'Journal' it is being stopped? Is it just you don't want people to stop it from running? Could you please help me to understand?

Thank you,
 - Dan
ArthurFlexser
Found this helpful 0
ArthurFlexser replied on

Consider yourself lucky.  When I attempted to run chkdsk /r /x on my C: drive from the command prompt under Windows 8, I got a message that it couldn't run now, but did I want it to run automatically when the computer restarted, which I said Yes to and restarted.

When it ran for a very long time without making any more progress (it got stuck at the 27% point), I tried to abort with a hard restart.  This didn't work!!!  Chkdsk just started up again automatically instead of Windows booting up.  It gave a brief message when it started that I could abort by pressing any key within the next second, but pressing a key immediately and holding it down had no effect whatsoever.

By pressing one of the function keys on hard restart, I managed to get to a screen where I could attempt a System Restore, but I got an error message  ("System Restore failed while copying the registry from the restore point"--error 0x80070570).  I then tried Dell's System Recovery, which was alleged to maintain user files, but it didn't and wiped out everything back to the factory settings.  (Except, curiously, my desktop background and IE bookmarks.)

Chkdsk is bad news!!!!!!