Blue screen STOP errors, possibly related to Windows 7 Sleep

Hi,

I'm having problems with blue STOP screen errors, which as far as I can tell only happen after the machine has been in sleep.

There are a variety of STOP errors, and these have been happening since the machine was built in March this year, although they seem to be becoming more frequent.

I have recently updated all motherboard drivers, and updated the BIOS to the latest available.

Since Oct 21st I've enabled Driver Verifier for all non-Microsoft drivers, following the instructions in another forum post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

System:  Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Core i7 4770S, Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H motherboard, Crucial Ballistix Sport 2 x 8GB RAM, Pioneer BDC-207 Blu-Ray/DVD drive, Samsung EVO 840 120GB SSD, Samsung EVO 250 GB SSD, Samsung F3 1TB HDD, WD 800AAJS HDD, Seasonic G-550 PSU.

PS.  Memtest 86 was run overnight when the system was built, and I ran it again for 8 hours/10 full passes on 24/10/2014, no errors were found.

List of STOP errors:
-------------------

10 Apr 2014 - Page fault in non-paged area, 50 - in ntfs.sys

20th May - Kernel Stack in Page Error, 77

25th May - Stop error 24 in ntfs.sys

-suggests chkdsk /f ; also "dump size too small"

- chkdsk fixes errors: free space marked as allocated in (1) bit map (2) MFT volume

1st June - Driver Power State Failure - after installing Automap 4.8 (Novation keyboard software - uninstalled again!)

16 Jun - Memory Management, 1A - while playing mp3 in VLC

21 Aug -  Memory Management, 1A

15 Sep - Stop error 24

5 Oct -   Memory Management, 1A - while playing mp3 in VLC

- ran chkdsk afterwards, fixed errors

7 Oct - Memory Management, 1A

---- drivers updated -----

13 Oct - bad_pool_caller, C2 - just out of sleep, in Firefox, going to first new page

15 Oct - Memory Management, 1A - 13:50 , less than 30 seconds out of sleep, had checked Windows Updates and pressed "Install".

--- BIOS update ----

19 Oct - memory management, 1A - 15:00 .  Had been using sleep (ie not shut down) for 48 hrs since BIOS update.  Out of sleep 5-10 mins, writing email in Thunderbird.

20 Oct - Memory management, 1A - 14:20.  Just out of sleep - less than 2 mins?  Was opening VM in VirtualBox.  

21 Oct - Page fault in nonpaged area, 50 - 14:50. Firefox plugin container crashed coming out of sleep, was restarting when bluescreened. Had been shut down overnight.  No minidump.

---- enabled Driver Verifier

22 Oct - STOP error 24, Ntfs.sys - 18:20, was restarting after coming out of sleep.  No minidump.

(Edit 25/10/2014: added detail of SSD and PSU in System spec, and of Memtest having been run.)

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You might want to upload the \Windows\minidump files to a OneDrive and make that publicly available, or a similar file sharing site, then post the link back here for peoples to take a look at it/them.

Have you used Samsung Magician to set the ssd options?

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Please post copies of your dump files as shared files (excluding any more than one month old or before you used a system restore point) to your OneDrive with a link here.

The dump file will be created at c:\windows\minidump. You may need to change your settings in Windows to be able to see the file. To show hidden files type Folder Options in the search box above the Start button and select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. You may need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

What is your computer make and model? If not a branded computer what is your motherboard make and model?

Please download and run Driver View and upload a copy of the report it produces to your OneDrive. To get a report on all drivers select Edit, Select All followed by File, Save Selected Items.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode. The request for a copy of this file is additional to answering the question about make and model.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:
http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

General notes on Understanding and Eliminating System Errors:
http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/syserrors1.htm

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Frederik

The person replying unfortunately does not know the answer. Thanks for the reminder.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I'm currently in the process of collecting minidump files, as well as the other reports requested, and will be posting them soon.

Yes, I've got the latest version of Samsung Magician, and set the options as follows:  I've got hibernate disabled, indexing disabled, prefetch/superfetch disabled, write cache buffer/buffer flushing enabled.  I have a 1GB fixed size page file on the C: drive, which is a 100GB partition on the EVO 120GB.

The firmware is EXT0BB6Q, which is the latest according to Magician, though I'm aware there's a very new firmware update to fix a read performance bug in the EVO SSDs.  I haven't heard of any blue screen errors related to this bug, so I'm leaving the firmware as is for now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Please find below a link to (hopefully!) a zipped folder containing the requested files and reports.  The reports were not generated in safe mode.

I have included all minidump files back to April 10th 2014 (six in total), as at this time the only applications installed on the machine were Firefox, Thunderbird, VLC Media Player, and Avira antivirus, so problems from installed software should have been minimal.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9210582C4D5B4720!106&authkey=!AL72H8QVChpfWF4&ithint=file%2czip

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H (it's a custom built machine).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Steve

Please increase your page file on C from 1gb to 4gb. It would also be sensible to create a further page file of 12gb elsewhere, if you do not want it on C.

Update Intel VGA Driver to version 15.33.19.64.3540:
http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_vga_intel_64_8series.exe

Update Intel LAN Driver to version 18.8:
http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_lan_intel_8series.exe

Please run the Windows 7 Memory Diagnostic Tool
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/715-memory-diagnostics-tool.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Diagnosing-memory-problems-on-your-computer

Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator from the drop down menu.. Type cd\ and press ENTER. Type "chkdsk c: /r" without the quotes and hit ENTER. Make sure you include the spaces indicated. Enter Y when asked whether you wish to run chkdsk on restarting the computer. Type exit, press the ENTER key and restart the computer.

Please run System File Checker and say if it cannot fix corrupted files:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Please restart your computer, allow 30 minutes for the system to run before uploading further information so that the impact of making changes can become apparent.

Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your OneDrive and post a link here.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gerry,

Thanks for the further input – it'll take me a couple of days to get back to you with that all done.

Were you able to get any insights from the minidumps?  Are there obvious problems with those two drivers, or is it more that my versions are now outdated again?

I've recently done a chkdsk /f, after the most recent STOP screen with ntfs.sys, but doing /r as well is a good idea, thanks!

And similarly, I've run Memtest86, but I haven't tried the Windows memory check, so that's a new thing to try.

Could you explain the benefits of the increased page file please?  As I've got 16GB RAM, and I've not seen Windows using more than 4GB (according to Task Manager), I wasn't expecting it to trouble the page file at all.

Also, I've just found a post in which problems (albeit with Hibernate rather than Sleep) seemed to be caused by Avira:

http://commweb-ps3.us.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19503448?pi239031352=1

As it's been on the machine since early days, that's a common factor to the crashes, so I'm tempted to replace it and see if that makes a difference.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Steve

Were you able to get any insights from the minidumps?

I obtained an overall picture of your computer, and the drivers that need updating.

Are there obvious problems with those two drivers, or is it more that my versions are now outdated again?

The versions of your drivers were out of date.

You need a pagefile as large as the RAM to satisfy some occasional system requirements. It is better to be cautious rather than sorry after the event.

I was hoping you would provide the Event Viewer log files I requested as these could shed further light on your problems.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gerry,

Thanks again for your prompt reply, and for answering my questions.

I will of course carry out the steps outlined in your previous post, and report back as soon as I can.  I'll leave Avira for now – it would be unfair to move the goalposts while you're halfway through analysing my system!  I just wanted to flag it up as a possibility.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gerry,

I've increased the pagefile on C: to 4GB  - Windows has allocated 2870MB currently, and is actually using 70MB (according to Outertech's "Cacheman"), which is more than I expected!

Driver-wise, there seems to be some numbering inconsistency in the driver files.  This has already caused me some confusion earlier this month when updating the drivers:

VGA: the installed version was 10.18.10.3621 – despite the download being called 15.xx etc, the installer said the current driver was newer than the installer package.  I can only assume Windows Update has installed the most recent driver already.

LAN: the installer installed the same version, 12.10.30.0, despite the installer being labelled 18.8

Windows Memory Diagnostic said "An error is preventing Windows from checking for memory problems during startup", which is interesting!  I'll try it from the Windows disc.

Ran chkdsk /f /r, it said C: was "clean".

Sfc /scannnow said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. "

I've uploaded the System and Application logs, link here:

http://1drv.ms/1rKVmBl

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 3, 2021 Views 914 Applies to: