Windows 7 - Line In Monitor Extreme Latency

On all my previous Windows installation (Windows 2000 Home/Pro, Windows XP Home/Pro), I have been able to plug in a guitar into line-in and monitor is without latency thru the speakers. This means playing and hearing is in realtime.

In Windows 7, there's a latency of 180+ms. On the same hardware, I used XP and it didn't cause issues. I upgraded to Windows 7 and latency is thru the roof. I have used Microsoft provided drivers from Win Install and vendor provided drivers that came with mobo. No change.

Is this something to be deal with in Windows 7 or am I overlooking some setting? I have been doing this since almost 2004 without issues on previous version. Does the windows sound management not provide a direct fast monitor signal?

Answer
Answer
Here's how I fixed my latency problems. It bypasses all the sound drivers and as a result, you can't use any global equalizers or anything.

Go into control panel>sound

click on speakers and select properties

go to levels and scroll down to line in. Make sure that it's unmuted and has the volume turned up.

Now click okay, go to the recording tab, and select line in's properties

go to the listen tab, and uncheck "listen to this device"

This should fix your problem. It fixed my problem with my xbox 360 sound feeding into my line in. Hearing gunshots a split second late messes with your mind.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

get vista compatible dedicated hardware I/O device, don't use a regular sound card

Be sure to check out the awesome tapdance group: The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza
The Tony Danza that loves slurpees

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 27, 2020 Views 43,781 Applies to: