My Media Player keeps making copies of all the songs in the library.

Everytime I open Windows Media Player for my music I find that there are multiple copies of every song in my library. I have tried to delete the extra copies but they keep coming back with even more copies and then I get a message that says that media player cannot play a song because it can't find the file. Apparently when I delete some of the extra copies the file needed to play the song is deleted, I think. Why do I get so many copies of each song and it keeps progressing so that I can have 5 copies or more. Each time I delete songs and I go back I find even more copies. Now my library is all fouled up and music I have paid for and downloaded is lost and so is the money I had spent. What is going on?
Answer
Answer

Sounds like a corrupted media library, so I suggest that you reset it. First note that resetting the library will make you lose all current play counts, and possibly ratings too. Then, follow these steps:

- Reboot the PC.
- Go to Start, type  services.msc in the Search field, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service . If its status is Started , double-click the service and click  Stop .
- Go to Start, type  %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Search field, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
- In this folder, rename the  Media Player folder to something like Media Player old . If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
- Start WMP, your library will have been reset and will be rebuilt. Check if the issue still occurs.
Tim De Baets
http://www.bm-productions.tk
Tim De Baets
https://bmproductions.fixnum.org

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2024 Views 2,914 Applies to: