windows operating system scam

I got a call 9/05/2013 from:

Henry Brown

Windows Operating System

St, Thomas, Virgin Island

[Portions of this post have been removed by a moderator]

I knew it was a scam but i got his information. I'm sure none of it is accurate. Watch out for these scammers.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I got the same scam call from someone on 9/16/2013.  It sounded like they were calling from India.  "Adam" said that my computer was being hacked and my personal info was being sent out.  I can tell you that Microsoft does not call people out of the blue and make unsolicited calls.  If someone is calling you about fixing your OS or computer in general you know something is up. 855-677-5556 is the number they gave when asked.  It said Private on my caller ID.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

same bogus call here in california 5:30 PM 9/17/2013

frank martin microsoft IT department
855-677-5556  ID11112

Bogus scammer call
dot

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just got the same call, in LA on 10/10,  from that number. Thanks for putting these replies online.

sounded too suspicious 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not a week goes by that I don't receive a call from someone at MSN security. Just got one today 10am with unavailable # shown. He identified self as associated with MSN and wanted to speak with "my name", I asked what for? He proceeded to give the bit about a compromise with my system, I told him to quit calling me and that my phone was being monitored from the DNC list and that further action would be pending! Then I hung up.
I agree with all the statements, MSN doesn't call you. When you get a #, report them to the phone co. or to the FBI fraud unit, maybe these idiots will finally get the message?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

got a call today 11/26. they were showing me errors on certificates and OS stuff that i know nothing about and said that my computer was corrupted and they'd fix it and give a lifetime guarantee for $80-180. Definitely a scam. "yes let me give you control of my computer and pay you to 'fix' it". Claimed he was Jordan Dennis from Microsoft and title of Sr Tech Supervisor. I couldn't even understand the first person that came to the phone so i got handed off.  That seemed odd at first. they also gave me the same phone number 855-677-5556.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got this call today, 1/28/14 @ 7:30 a.m.

Don't know the original caller's name, but handed off to:
Prince Dawson - ID 11137
855-677-5556

I really hope this is a scam or all of our computers are in trouble!
We get this call quite often, but this is the first time I've talked to them long enough to get a phone #.  Normally I just hang up on them or annoy them to the point that they hang up on me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here. I get loads of them, 2 or 3 a day sometimes. Started last Nov.

Fortunately I was aware of the scam - http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

They have also claimed to be my phone company, not just "Windows", but also of course want access to the PC.

Tell them nothing and don't give them access.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My cousin received a phone call from a lady yesterday morning who said she was from Microsoft and then said she was going to transfer the call to Tech Support. Then he told my cousin that he was with Microsoft that her computer was showing a lot error and critical messages.  Then he went into her computer and showed her the page where the error's where. Then told me to go to start and type in Event and he didn't get all he wanted, so then he told me to type (www.microsoftpcfix.net) into the address bar.

By this time my cousin was getting a little upset and had asked if he could call back when I could be here, and he didn't want to.  He then started to tell her about the cost of protection for a 2yr plan and then she stopped him and told him she had protection and to get out of my computer. He was trying to scare her by telling her if she didn't by this program her computer could crash.

We had checked on these scams and it looked like there had been some last yr but none this yr till now.  So we wanted people to be aware...:)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got another call today and I cut him of stating that there's nothing wrong with my computer and that I probably knew more about computers than he did. Probably true.  Next time I'll just hang on the phone and waste his time playing dumb. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Does anyone know how these people happen to know that the person they are calling does in fact have a computer?  Not every single person in the USA has one in there home, and how do they find out who is our telephone provider?  I guess I'm a little dumb when it comes to be a scammer...lol  

The guy that talking on the phone with my cousin wanted her to go into the event viewer and I'm sure erase where he had been in the computer, but she got frustrated and hung-up on him...lol  But he would have taken her credit card number for sure...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated September 27, 2019 Views 3,029 Applies to: