spock0
Had this question 15
Question
spock0 asked on

Why did windows defender turn off when i installed AVG 9 Pro on windows 7?

HI there AVG 9 pro turned off windows defender and when i turn it on it just auto turns off again anyone have a clue as to why AVG turns off windows defender? is defender not needed with the new AVG 9 pro anymore. no help from avg as there is no forum for paid users and there free forum do sent help you. anyone else that uses AVG have this problem.
Anthony Barnes
deadmanwalking86
Found this helpful 0
Answer
deadmanwalking86 replied on
AVG 9 Pro comes with anti-spyware. That's the reason.
Life sucks! Get used to it.
spock0
Found this helpful 0
spock0 replied on

oh ok thanks for help :) i thought 2 anti-spyware could  be together i guess not lol
Anthony Barnes
PetrolDave
Found this helpful 1
PetrolDave replied on

oh ok thanks for help :) i thought 2 anti-spyware could  be together i guess not lol

Until AVG 8.5 they could and they worked together fine.

AVG have said that are considering making disabling Defender an option.

AVG have suggested that enabling Defender and AVG makes boot-up times slower, but tests done by users dispute this.

I, for one,am sticking with AVG 8.5 until they implement the option to leave Defender enabled. ALL the advice I've seen says that running multiple protecion software on your PC is A GOOD THING.
Rick Caird
Found this helpful 0
Rick Caird replied on

I re enabled Windows Defender.  Big mistake.  It took me a day to figure out why it would often take FireFox multiple reloads to display a page.  Today's AVG upgrade turned off Defender again, and suddenly all the display problems went away.

Rick
jsjsjsjsjsjsjsjs
Found this helpful 0
jsjsjsjsjsjsjsjs replied on

AVG has a link scanner that has cause problems that were hard to find.  I'm a REALTOR and the MLS system GE's Rapatoni system seemed to work fine...except one page like 10 links in would never display (Listing Information update Page).  This problem went away immediately upon disable of Link Scanner.  I know this is slightly off topic, but people experiencing page load problems might want to try it.
clivesage
Found this helpful 1
clivesage replied on

this is a interesting topic, it seems that vista had same problems with norton and macafee turning off defender , i have avg 9 and i can enable defender to work , but next time i check its been disabled again, i dont notice any problems when the two are running together, but i not sure about boot up time
it seems there is a cure for this problem !!!!!!  to stop defender from being disabled, i will post it here but i dont know if its the same for windows 7 , i have not tried it !!!!! but i think it would work for windows7 , please dont blame me if it does not work , !!!!!!!

Right clic in "computer", then in "manage", after in "services and aplicattions", finaly in "services". Choose Windows Defender and double clic in it. When the menu is open, you change to "automatic" in option "startup option".  

jvaldes
Found this helpful 0
jvaldes replied on

I also just found this problem on a Vista machine and a Win7 machine.  Both programs work fine together on my machine (Vista SP1 & AVG 8.5).
Since we now know they cannot work together on AVG 9.0, which program would you choose?  We have to pick now.  Or would you download AVG 8.5 and use both?
Thanks for any help or suggestions........John
The_Old_Man
Found this helpful 1
The_Old_Man replied on

Personally, I have NEVER been successfully attacked while using any version of AVG. I've been doing this for many years.  I HAVE been successfully attacked multiple times throughout the years without AVG including when I was using Norton. For me, I'd choose AVG hands down if it were an either or. Microsoft seems to sometimes lag when keeping up with trends and right now, AVG is the choice of most developers. Sorry Microsoft, nothing personal.
fredmeyer
Found this helpful 0
fredmeyer replied on

I am having a problem with Defender not starting, I have windows 7.  I am following the notes and answers but for the life of me I do not know what is: "AVG" or AVG 9.  So a reply would be helpful

Fred

John Dio
Found this helpful 0
John Dio replied on

most experts have said 'avast' is a tad better at detection then the others.  i've seen norton's products miss things that mcafee caught and vise-versa.  i use 'avg' and have not had a problem, yet...  i run 'ms defender' twice a week as a scheduled task due to the 'auto-turn-off' problem.
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next