DannyDaniels
Had this question 40
Question
DannyDaniels asked on

"Users" folder shared without restrictions?

Gentlemen,

I believe the right way to testing is achieved by using Windows 7 RC as my unique OS. And that's what I am doing right now. When you have only one OS on your system, you feel like the problems arriving must be corrected instantly.
Let me share with you one of the problems I discovered over my Windows 7 system today.

I'm on a home network now, using a home wireless "router" connected to a cable modem and the cable modem is the gateway to the Internet. This is a pretty commom configuration these days.
The computer I am using is a notebook with a wireless G connection.
I've never configured my Windows 7 homenetwork after installing the system. But I remember being asked to choose between private and public. The thing is I've chosen "private".

Today then, I was "surfing" throw the homenetwork (that has 5 computers) and mine was listed. What caught my atention was that there was a folder name "users" completed opened under my computer's name.

Clicking on the folder "users" I discovered that the entire folder was been shown. All the files, all the subfolders.
I changed the homenetwork from private to "public". That made no difference to the sharing of the "users" folder.
Instead then, I chose to right click the folder "C:\Users" and check for its sharing options.
I was suprised that it was shared already.

Now, follow me, if I share under Windows Vista or 7 a subfolder of the folder "users", all the folders before it will be shown, BUT ONLY THE FOLDERS NAMES. What happened here is that all the files and subfolders of the folder "users" were been shown.

What an issue!!!

:D
XPlease
Found this helpful 17
Answer
XPlease replied on

I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise
Go to Control Panel / Folder Options / View TAB...scroll down to where it say's "Use Sharing Wizard (Recomended)" and remove the check mark.  Doing this will prevent the Users directory from being automatically shared whenever any folder is manually shared.
Chris - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 1
Answer
Chris - Support Engineer replied on
Microsoft

Hi DannyDaniels,

Thanks for using the Answers Forum.

I suggest navigating to the Users folder and adjusting the sharing settings to resolve this issue.
You can right-click on the folder and click Properties, then click the Sharing tab, then click the Advanced Sharing button.
Remove the check mark from Share this folder and click OK.

That should un-share the folder.

Please let us know if this helps.

Chris
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
ThainH
Found this helpful 1
ThainH replied on
Yes, I found that on my network as well. (same config.)... But the files within were not able to be opened or changed. But in my case it wasn't the "Users" folder, it was the "Public" folder.
DannyDaniels
Found this helpful 2
DannyDaniels replied on

The public folder is made for that.
But the "C:\users" folder is not.
Imagine how many info someone can catch from you just by looking to the names of the personal files and folders. This is a big serious security issue.
Chris - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 1
Answer
Chris - Support Engineer replied on
Microsoft

Hi DannyDaniels,

Thanks for using the Answers Forum.

I suggest navigating to the Users folder and adjusting the sharing settings to resolve this issue.
You can right-click on the folder and click Properties, then click the Sharing tab, then click the Advanced Sharing button.
Remove the check mark from Share this folder and click OK.

That should un-share the folder.

Please let us know if this helps.

Chris
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
DaveMichels
Found this helpful 0
DaveMichels replied on

Any word on why sharing the entire Users folder is default behavior in the Windows 7 RC?  It seems dangerous, since I imagine most users don't browse their own shares unless they are troubleshooting a sharing problem.

Edit: I just discovered that you can turn off password protected sharing without being informed that the entire Users directory is shared by default.  This is VERY dangerous behavior.
Ray125
Found this helpful 0
Ray125 replied on

Hi All

I think Windows should not share anthing by default. I am thinking of people new to computers who conect directly to the internet using a cable modem they would be shareing with the whole world and not even know it. Microsoft likes to talk how safe there systems are.

Thanks
Ray
lawliet5
Found this helpful 0
lawliet5 replied on
Hi, I'm using the Windows 7 Release Candidate and I got the same issue. Using Sharescan 2.45 program, I noticed that my Users folder is shared on the network that has over 200 computers, and I have really private data in my <username> folder :S Indeed, a serious issue.

But the most interesting part is, that I cleared the "Share this folder" checkbox. And now, I see it again: shared :S

Also I discovered many bugs within Win 7 but I'll discuss it on other topics :)
amit290
Found this helpful 0
amit290 replied on

Just realised this myself and came to look if someone had alrady posted about it. I have the same 'feature' as the original poster. This is very serious IMO and needs fixing. I (like many) use 'My Documents' structure to keep all my personal, work etc. files. There are some things I wouldnt even want family members to see. This should be turned off by default. I agree with the poster above, nothing should be shared by default; exception would be the Public folders.
Titanica
Found this helpful 0
Titanica replied on

Hi All

I think Windows should not share anthing by default. I am thinking of people new to computers who conect directly to the internet using a cable modem they would be shareing with the whole world and not even know it. Microsoft likes to talk how safe there systems are.

Thanks
Ray

I agree. Nothing should be shared by default. MS should make a fix for this ASAP.
Nestea80
Found this helpful 0
Nestea80 replied on
I also noticed this exact behaviour.  Once public folder sharing is enabled, the Users folder is automatically shared.  And mine happened to be shared with full access.  And even when turning OFF public folder sharing, the Users folder stayed there.

The quick fix is to just manually go to the Users folder and turn off the sharing for that folder.

I thought I was doing something wrong at first.  It was quite puzzling.

If people don't pay attention when sharing folders ... they might be sharing the whole entire Users folder by accident.
uSUC
Found this helpful 0
uSUC replied on

I have the same problem too. After all the promises for security this is a lot stupid and ridiculous. I am very disappointed. Minutes ago I accidentally saw that my users folder is shared with full control without even touching anything. I had very important and personal information in My documents folder - this is absolutely unacceptable... And I think it is not caused by the enabling of the public sharing, because when you turn it off, the same folders are still shared.... And what is even more confusing, you cannot un-share a subfolder in the Users folder, the only thing which works is to unshare the whole Users folder. I switched to win 7 from XP, relying on the good recommendations people are giving, but is the same ____ as Vista. There are still lots of annoying stuff.... I'm even thinking of switching back to XP...
Previous Previous Page of 7 Next Next