bj and family
Had this question 5
Question
bj and family asked on

The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified..The target principal name is incorrect....Do you want to continue using this server?

Brand new computer running windows 7 64bit, outlook and office 2007 installed, initial problems with temporary user profiles, followed advice and removed user profiles from system registry and all seemed to be fine. Computer been running for about one week with two user profiles and now I am suddenly getting an error message when I start up Outlook and occassionally when browsing the internet, it reads:

The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified..The target principal name is incorrect....Do you want to continue using this server? (If i hit yes I can then send emails)

When I open view certificate it says: This CA Root certificate is not trusted. To enable trust, install this certificate in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store. (Issued to and by: Cisco Appliance Demo Certificate - valid from 2/10/2009 to 3/10/2019).

Problem is I don't know what the certificate is, what I need it for, how to locate it, how to move it etc  I have read some forums but they start getting too technical. I need easy step by step help.

I tried uninstalling outlook 2007 and reloading and clearing ssl states in internet options and reseting to default (as suggested by someone) but it made no difference.

Problem is when you leave the store with new computer nobody wants to know you if you need help!

Can anybody please help? THANKS

itconcerned
Found this helpful 1
Answer
itconcerned replied on

Hi,

Welcome.

Just one advice, never download and install anything in your PC unless you know and trust it.

>"Brand new computer...I need easy step by step help."

Contact the PC maker support team insistently.

>"...office 2007 installed...

Support at: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/default.aspx#tab=1 and ask your Outlook question there.

You can also check if this issue happens when using Windows Live Mail that can be downloaded at: http://download.live.com/wlmail.

>"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified..."

Just to know more about server certification at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_server .

Remember: Keep system and security tools updated .

Success.

Rgds.

itconcerned
Security, play it safe, prevent.
machocloud
Found this helpful 6
Most Helpful Reply
machocloud replied on

answer found by accident

i was haaving the same issue - so i double checked the configuration from sbcgloball.net for my mail account

it showed me for example to put pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com in the incoming mail server

i noticed when the error popped open it said view certificate. on the front it said att and under details it showed sbcglobal

WHEN I CHANGED THE POP - i put in pop.att.yahoo.com and THIS STOPPED THE errors

Kerry_Brown
Found this helpful 0
Kerry_Brown replied on

Are you connected to a work network with a VPN?

Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
itconcerned
Found this helpful 1
Answer
itconcerned replied on

Hi,

Welcome.

Just one advice, never download and install anything in your PC unless you know and trust it.

>"Brand new computer...I need easy step by step help."

Contact the PC maker support team insistently.

>"...office 2007 installed...

Support at: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/default.aspx#tab=1 and ask your Outlook question there.

You can also check if this issue happens when using Windows Live Mail that can be downloaded at: http://download.live.com/wlmail.

>"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified..."

Just to know more about server certification at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_server .

Remember: Keep system and security tools updated .

Success.

Rgds.

itconcerned
Security, play it safe, prevent.
machocloud
Found this helpful 6
machocloud replied on

answer found by accident

i was haaving the same issue - so i double checked the configuration from sbcgloball.net for my mail account

it showed me for example to put pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com in the incoming mail server

i noticed when the error popped open it said view certificate. on the front it said att and under details it showed sbcglobal

Computer_Magus
Found this helpful 0
Computer_Magus replied on

answer found by accident

In my case I had to remap the incoming mail server from pop.gmail.com to imap.gmail.com becasue the certificate originated from imap.gmail.com
OrlandusSearcy
Found this helpful 0
OrlandusSearcy replied on

Brand new computer running windows 7 64bit, outlook and office 2007 installed, initial problems with temporary user profiles, followed advice and removed user profiles from system registry and all seemed to be fine. Computer been running for about one week with two user profiles and now I am suddenly getting an error message when I start up Outlook and occassionally when browsing the internet, it reads:

The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified..The target principal name is incorrect....Do you want to continue using this server? (If i hit yes I can then send emails)

When I open view certificate it says: This CA Root certificate is not trusted. To enable trust, install this certificate in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store. (Issued to and by: Cisco Appliance Demo Certificate - valid from 2/10/2009 to 3/10/2019).

Problem is I don't know what the certificate is, what I need it for, how to locate it, how to move it etc  I have read some forums but they start getting too technical. I need easy step by step help.

I tried uninstalling outlook 2007 and reloading and clearing ssl states in internet options and reseting to default (as suggested by someone) but it made no difference.

Problem is when you leave the store with new computer nobody wants to know you if you need help!

Can anybody please help? THANKS

if you are using yahoo mail or sbcglobal mail Try changing your incoming mail server to pop.att.yahoo.com

Gene_1952
Found this helpful 0
Gene_1952 replied on

Shazam!  You solved my issue!  My very sincere thanks!  I have been searching for an answer for almost 2 months, and there it is.  I have the same results you listed.  WOW!
kingioan
Found this helpful 0
kingioan replied on

"...the server you are connected to is using a security certificate google..."

None of these solutions worked for me below. I'm using Office Outlook 2007.

Solution is to use imap for your incoming mail server and setting the incoming mail server to imap.gmail.com

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=82350

Solution: Make sure you've set up your mail client for IMAP1 access rather than POP2 access. In addition, please verify that you have entered 'imap.gmail.com' rather than 'pop.gmail.com' as your Incoming Server setting.

Ioan Jones
ammar7may
Found this helpful 0
ammar7may replied on

Hi,

@ machocloud

@ bj and family

I was getting same error for outlook 2010 in win 8 RP for yahoo imap. My incoming email configuration was imap-ssl.mail.yahoo.com, while my certificate address was *imap.mail.yahoo.com. I also changed the incoming email configuration to imap.mail.yahoo.com, and the problem is so far resolved.

But personally speaking, I have faced issued with this incoming mail configuration in past (my yahoo mail used to stop). Not the case now. So, not sure what happens now. I just applied this corrective action now.

Ammar
Mike Pavelchik
Found this helpful 0
Mike Pavelchik replied on
The web-hosting company that provides our email services has very detailed instructions that were no help at all...

We have multiple domains and the instructions were to Use your "Primary Domain" as the imap and smtp server like: imap.yourprimarydomain.com and smtp.yourprimarydomain.com for each email account.
example: I did not like seeing emails sent out From *** Email address is removed for privacy *** using smtp.tempuri.com.

After reading the help tips here. I looked closer at the pop-up warning: 
"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified..The target principal name is incorrect....Do you want to continue using this server?"
There was a clickable link that allowed me to see the details and the certificate was issued to my service provider not to my primary domain. 

So, Outlook 2010>File>Account Settings Box "CLick Box>Rectangle Account settings Pop-up>
changed every email account to use imap.hostcentric.com and smtp.hostcentric.com.

Everything Works Great Thanks to this Thread!!!

psr01
Found this helpful 0
psr01 replied on

Thanks for this! Nice simple solution & nice to be rid of that annoying little step to see email....
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next