Mark Lange
Had this question 46
Question
Mark Lange asked on

Steady State / "Safeguard" in Windows 7 RC

Hi!
I used the Steady State Tool in Win XP, so I tried to install it in Windows 7 RC 7100. The installation doesn't work (install only on WinXP and Vista). I googled for my theme and I found some items that windows 7 will have a guestmode with the same functions as Steady State. But I can't find the exact menu, I have only a button for youth control. Will i need any other software? Can someone help me? I tried the english & the german version of win7.
THX,

Mark
Matt H - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 1
Answer
Matt H - Support Engineer replied on
Hi Mark,
I believe this is what you are looking for.

How to set up PC Safeguard:

1. Click to open Manage Accounts. ? If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Click the user account picture for the account you want to change.

3. Click Set up PC Safeguard.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. Click Turn on PC Safeguard.

5. Click Apply.

Matt
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Matt Hudson
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and
Lisa M.
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Lisa M. replied on
Microsoft

Please have a look at the following Technet article posted a few weeks ago:

Creating a Steady State by Using Microsoft Technologies

Windows 7 questions in a domain environment are beyond the scope of what is typically answered in this consumer forum and would be better suited for the IT Pro audience on TechNet. Please post these questions in the Technet- Windows 7 Security Forum. Thanks!

Lisa
Matt H - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 1
Answer
Matt H - Support Engineer replied on
Hi Mark,

1. Click to open Manage Accounts. ? If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click Set up PC Safeguard.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

5. Click Apply.

Matt
Matt Hudson
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and
Drehmini
Found this helpful 0
Drehmini replied on

Hi Mark,

5. Click Apply.

Matt

By chance did they remove this feature from RC1? And if so, was the idea completely scrapped?
David. F
Found this helpful 0
David. F replied on
Microsoft

Hello,

This feature has indeed been removed from the RC.

David
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.
Mark Lange
Found this helpful 0
Mark Lange replied on

Hi!

many thanks for your posts.
This are very bad news for me and I think for many schools...

Do you know if "SteadyState" will be upgraded to work with Win7? Or will there be another tool? 3rd party Software?

This feature would haven been the central arguement for educational environment to buy win7.... no chance to change this?

Bye
Mark
David. F
Found this helpful 0
David. F replied on
Microsoft

Hello, Mark

Personally, I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be updated. The release date is still a ways off so you should have a better idea closer to release.

Let us know if this helps.

David
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.
Eric  Krause
Found this helpful 0
Eric Krause replied on

Release is here.....will there be a SteadyState product, when can we expect it?
Eric
Eric
Doug Skranak
Found this helpful 0
Doug Skranak replied on

I agree, release date came and went.  PC Safeguard is deprecated, and mum's the word appears to be the final answer for steady state.  What's the dilly-o?

Thanks,

Doug
djw123
Found this helpful 1
djw123 replied on

I manage the computers for a 911 Dispatch call center for a City Government. We currently use Microsoft Steady State on the the 911 dispatch workstations BECAUSE they are CRITICAL machines. To me its the only possible way to run
this environment.

Before steady state, we had cronic issues with people causing havoc on the computers. Since weve installed steady state, we have had 0.. ZERO, "FREAKING ZERO", "YES really ZERO" calls to fix 911 computers in the past 2 years!!!

Its part of the Job of our dispatchers to support our law enforcement offers in performing simple tasks. Sometimes
this may include using the INTERNET (internet explorer) to google some information quickly, or use other santioned law enforcement internet web sites. Eventually, someone will mis-click a link and then the pc's toast without steady state. Thats bad news. We run 911 dispatchers on 24 hour /7 days week, 365 days a year. Let me tell YOU as an IT administrator... It SUCKS getting a call to fix a 911 computer at 4am.

Even with the users running in non-power user, non-administrator, standard user accounts the users eventually find some way to screw up the computers settings somehow without steady state.

Our Windows XP configuration is we make the C Drive Non-persistant, and put user profiles on the D Drive, and documents and settings on our NAS. Its literally been a miracle for us.

Its currently our standard operating procedure to "Reboot if theres a problem", which instantly snaps the entire
C Hard drive back into proper, sanctioned, working condition straight from the 'IT factory'.

Our expected Windows 7 configuration was going to be as follows :

* Symbolic link user folders and data to equivalents on the D Drive, and continue keeping their Documents on the NAS.
* SafeGuard / Guest Mode the user accounts *AND* use Disk Protection on the C Drive to revert the contents on reboot.
* Use AppLocker to eliminate the possibility of running anything un-sanctioned.

Let me tell you... We will never have plans to move past windows xp + stead state, UNTIL there is a viable alternative.

If Microsoft is getting out of the Steady State business fine.... We will only use "Deep Freeze" like products on supported
operating systems and currently "Deep freeze" does not support windows 7.

I URGE you to please support Steady States full Disk Protection in all future operating systems / editions.

This comment is meant as truely high praise where it is really deservered. We NEED this product and functionally.

Mark Lange
Found this helpful 0
Mark Lange replied on

Hi!
Now the RTM-Win7 is out... the technet members will test / have tested the candidate.
I believe MS has done a good work but I miss the "safeguard" tool. Has someone a good news for this? Thanks...
Peter Boguszewski
Found this helpful 0
Peter Boguszewski replied on

Is there any more information on the future of Steady State for Windows 7?  I am an admin at UW Madison in the library system and we are now on hold for the Windows 7 rollout until this functionallity is available.  I am sure many other higher education institutions find this as unacceptable as we do.  All our excitement for a viable upgrade to XP is squashed.  Shame on Microsoft for being so short-sighted.
Previous Previous Page of 8 Next Next