I cannot create a new user account (Windows 7): the user profile service service failed the logon

I have attempted to create a new user account, but I receive the following error when I try to log on with it:

the user profile service service failed the logon

Before I go any further let me add that I have activated the hidden administrator account and that is the account I am using to create the new standard user account.

Most of the fixes for this issue are due to the fact that manually deleting a user account does not delete the registry key associated with it, and you are required to go to the following section of the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENTVERSION\PROFILELIST

and delete the key associated with the user account you wish to remove.

This fix DOES NOT help, because whenever I attempt to create a new user, Windows does not bother creating a registry key for the new user.  The new user account only shows up in the accounts management window.  If I right-clickMy Computer and select Properties , then Change Settings , select the Advanced tab, and click Settingsunder USER PROFILES , the new account does not show up here either.

This is a huge problem.  I have other people that use this laptop and I don't want them using my login, or the guest account.  I shouldn't have to edit the registry just to make a new account =/

Please tell me there is a fix for this that works.  Windows 7 wasn't free, and this sort of trouble is very frustrating for premium software.

Answer
Answer

Thanks - this is the only tip that help me find the fix to this problem. 

Two files in the C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live folder could not be copied without admin privileges.  This caused the login in attempt to fail for all newly created user accounts.  The specific files are:

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Bici\Bici1_00.sqm

and

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\SqmApi\SqmData720896_00.sqm

I added read permission for all users to these two files and retried the logon.  The logon proceeded with the initial user setup and completed perfectly.  This problem likely started when I installed Windows Live Messenger which is the only Windows Live application I have installed.

The other important tip in your message was to check the Event Log which pointed to the two files that failed to copy.  The files where indicated in warning messages that immediatly preceeded the Event Log error message indicated that the profile service failed to logon.

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Do these suggestions resolve your problem?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130095-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2024 Views 69,902 Applies to: