An error occurred while applying security information to: E:\randomfilename Access is denied.

I plugged in my hard drive to my lap top and when i tried to delete or move files access was denied because i dont have correct security. well when i attempted to change the security this popped up >An error occurred while applying security information to: E:\randomfilename  Access is denied. and wouldnt go away! I tried turning on the Admin account and then changing it but I still couldnt do it.
Answer
Answer
I had the same problem, that's what worked for me:

My mistake: Trying to deny access to all the users a part from administrators i had checked the box "Users" and deny all access. 
But I foud out that teven being the administrator, I am also considered a "user", so even if the administrator has full rights, if he's also included on the users list he wont be able to access anything. 

Similar mistake can be made by checking "Everyone" when setting the rights. 

Solution: just go to the properties of your folder and allow full access to "Everyone" and  also to "Users". I hope it helps.

Cheers!

135 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

It does not matter which administrator account you use.

An inability to access a file after seizing ownership is often cause by file encryption. Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, then Advanced to find out.

152 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 193,632 Applies to: