Trakai
Had this question 32
Question
Trakai asked on

Windows Media Player encountered a problem while creating or saving the playlist.

Since last week I cannot create a playlist in WMP 12 on windows 7.  Also cannot rip cd's. MS has no information regarding this problem. Worked o.k. before last week when updates were installed.  Has there been a way found to remove WMP 12 and revert to WMP 11?  Or should I abandon Windows 7 and return to VISTA?  I have done what I know to do so far, including restoring computer to an earlier date.  Still does not work right.

Microsoft... Please fix WMP 12.
Shekhar S
Found this helpful 4
Answer
Shekhar S replied on
Microsoft

Hi Trakai,

I would recommend you to run the Windows Media Player settings troubleshooter and check.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Media-Player-Settings-troubleshooter

If the issue exists uninstall and re-install the Windows Media Player. Here is how.
Uninstalling and Reinstalling the Windows Media Player:
Step 1.
Uninstalling the Windows Media Player:
1. Go to Start and in the search type "Turn Windows features On or Off".
2. Click on "Turn Windows features On or Off".
2. Browse to the Media Features and uncheck the mark in front of Windows Media Player.
4. Restart the computer

Step 2.
Reinstalling the Windows Media Player:
3. Browse to the Media Features and place a check mark in front of Windows Media Player.
4. Restart the Computer.

For more inofrmation refer to the article below:

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards:
Shekhar S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.
Thanks and Regards,
Shekhar Sharma
Thajes
Found this helpful 7
Most Helpful Reply
Thajes replied on

Hi,

I had the exact same problem earlier.
The reason (for me) that this problem occured, is that I did not have a default folder assigned as 'Default save location' in the libraries.
When I click Organize, and then Manage libraries, and then Music. There was no folder listed.

Once I assigned a folder the creating of a playlist worked as it should.

Hope I contribute with this little piece of information.

rpschultz9
Found this helpful 2
rpschultz9 replied on
the database may have gotten corupted. I had MANY problems; duplicate songs that wouldn't delete, couldn't find songs that I knew were there, the list goes on. Someone on this site suggested this and it worked - good luck

Try this -

This problem also occurs because the Windows Media Player library database has become corrupted.

To resolve this problem, clear the Windows Media Player database. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit Windows Media Player.
   2. Click Start, click Run, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player, and then click OK.
   3. Select all the files in the folder, and then click Delete on the File menu.
       Note: You do not have to delete the folders that are in this folder.
   4. Restart Windows Media Player.

Note: Windows Media Player automatically rebuilds the database.

If this does not resolve the problem, clear the Windows Media Player database cache files. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit Windows Media Player.
   2. Click Start, click Run, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft, and then click OK.
   3. Select the Media Player folder, and then click Delete on the File menu.
   4. Restart Windows Media Player.

Trakai
Found this helpful 1
Trakai replied on

Thank you for the reply.  Tried your suggestions, even deleting the media player folder,  and still have the same problem. 

Thanks again.. 
Shekhar S
Found this helpful 4
Answer
Shekhar S replied on
Microsoft

Hi Trakai,

I would recommend you to run the Windows Media Player settings troubleshooter and check.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Media-Player-Settings-troubleshooter

If the issue exists uninstall and re-install the Windows Media Player. Here is how.
Uninstalling and Reinstalling the Windows Media Player:
Step 1.
Uninstalling the Windows Media Player:
2. Browse to the Media Features and uncheck the mark in front of Windows Media Player.
4. Restart the computer

Step 2.
Reinstalling the Windows Media Player:
3. Browse to the Media Features and place a check mark in front of Windows Media Player.
4. Restart the Computer.

For more inofrmation refer to the article below:

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards:
Shekhar S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.
Thanks and Regards,
Shekhar Sharma
Trakai
Found this helpful 1
Trakai replied on
Since last week I cannot create a playlist in WMP 12 on windows 7.  Also cannot rip cd's. MS has no information regarding this problem. Worked o.k. before last week when updates were installed.  Has there been a way found to remove WMP 12 and revert to WMP 11?  Or should I abandon Windows 7 and return to VISTA?  I have done what I know to do so far, including restoring computer to an earlier date.  Still does not work right.

Microsoft... Please fix WMP 12.

Thank you Shekhar S. 
I have tried all your suggestions but still cannot rip cd's or create a playlist in WMP 12.  I did purchase and install a stand alone product from Roxio and I can now rip cd's using Roxio but I still cannot create a playlist using WMP. 
I cannot revert back to WMP 11 so, in order to continue to us WMP as I would truly like to, it seems that either; 1., remove windows 7 completely and install Vista, or, 2; competely reinstall windows 7 and take a chance the problem will correct itself. 
It would be much simpler if MS would have NOT embedded WMP12 in Windows 7 and allowed users to choose which version of WMP to use.
Falky2010
Found this helpful 5
Falky2010 replied on

Fixed the ___ Issue!! believe it or not it was this easy!! (only if you have this folder). When you create your default folder which you use as you media library eg, Music or public music (where all your songs are located) you should see a folder called "My Playlist" where your playlists are created. If you also see a folder called "playlists" in the music folder DELETE IT!!! seems to conflict with "my playlists" and wat ya know you can create a playlist!! check your facts microsoft instead of telling people to reinstalling!! hope this helps!!
Falky2010
Found this helpful 1
Falky2010 replied on

Fixed the ____ Issue!! believe it or not it was this easy!! (only if you have this folder). When you create your default folder which you use as you media library eg, Music or public music (where all your songs are located) you should see a folder called "My Playlist" where your playlists are created. If you also see a folder called "playlists" in the music folder DELETE IT!!! seems to conflict with "my playlists" and wat ya know you can create a playlist!! check your facts microsoft instead of telling people to reinstalling!! hope this helps!!

this does work! but i found an issue that when i create a new playlist is saves it under a created new folder called "playlists" (the one we deleted). and when you close WMP and reopen you'll notice your created playlist is gone (but still in the folder "playlists".... not "my playlists") i can't figure the issue up yet but lets hope soon.. seems so simple tho lol!
Limelad
Found this helpful 1
Limelad replied on

I agree.... I wish Microsoft would let me select which WMP I want to use.  I still can't save my playlist.

Limelad    *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Tim De Baets
Found this helpful 3
Tim De Baets replied on

Limelad, what exactly happens when you try to save a playlist?

I suggest that you try resetting the media library. First note that resetting the library will make you lose all current play counts, and possibly ratings too. Then, follow these steps:

- Reboot the PC.
- Go to Start, type  services.msc in the Search field, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service . If its status is Started , double-click the service and click  Stop .
- Go to Start, type  %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Search field, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
- In this folder, rename the  Media Player folder to something like Media Player old . If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
- Start WMP, your library will have been reset and will be rebuilt. Check if the issue still occurs.
Tim De Baets
http://www.bm-productions.tk
Tim De Baets
http://www.bm-productions.tk
Thajes
Found this helpful 7
Thajes replied on

Hi,

I had the exact same problem earlier.
The reason (for me) that this problem occured, is that I did not have a default folder assigned as 'Default save location' in the libraries.
When I click Organize, and then Manage libraries, and then Music. There was no folder listed.

Once I assigned a folder the creating of a playlist worked as it should.

Hope I contribute with this little piece of information.

airwater
Found this helpful 1
airwater replied on

dear trakai,

i experienced the same problem as well. 

i am not too sure how to put this but think the problem lies in the MUSIC LIBRARY. 

i think you do not have a folder added there.

just add any folder to the MUSIC LIBRARY in the NAVIGATION PANE and see if you can save playlists.

hope this helps.

Previous Previous Page of 6 Next Next