jasqid
Had this question 24
Question
jasqid asked on

Not able to access Windows Media Player mini player

Windows 7 & WMP 12 Mini Player

I have used the mini player (taskbar)all the time in PX and vista. I was wondering why it was left out of WMP 12 and Win7? I was hoping that if a programmer reads this, you can add it back before the release. (PLEASE!)

Debbie - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 2
Answer
Debbie - Support Engineer replied on
Hi jasqid,

Thanks for posting your question to "Getting Ready for Windows 7" community forum.

If I'm understanding the question correctly, the miniplayer is activated if you click the StartORB / in the Search Line type Windows media player / Launch the player from the programs list.   Verify if this is the player you were referencing?  If it is not the player you were referencing do not hesitate to post back to us that information. 

Please let us know if this information assists you or if there is further assistance that is needed.

Debbie
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Debbie Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
Rami - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Rami - Support Engineer replied on

Jasqid,
The preview box when you highlight WMP has the forward backward and play/pause buttons.

So far that is all that I have personally found to be a good way of navigating.

I agree with you, the Windows Media Player toolbar is very useful.
It may have been removed infavor for a sleeker interface (consider the WMC gadget that you can add to your desktop).
Either way, lets see what the future result will be, ofcourse Windows 7 is not yet finalized.
Rami
Rami
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us
Found this helpful 0
Hi jasqid,

Thanks for posting your question to "Getting Ready for Windows 7" community forum.

If I'm understanding the question correctly, the miniplayer is activated if you click the StartORB / in the Search Line type Windows media player / Launch the player from the programs list.  Is this the player you were referencing? 

If this is not the player, please let us know so we may further assist you.

Also, if you do want to provide feedback involving developing or programming of products you may consider posting to this website;  www.connect.microsoft.com or if you want to inquire of how to make this work in this application try posting your question to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro?ITPID=sprblog.

The connect.microsoft.com group will review your suggestions and do the research that may be needed for implementing the process.  The second community forum is for more the how to and developers groups applicable to the WIndows 7 functionality.

Debbie
Debbie Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
Found this helpful 2
Answer
Hi jasqid,

If I'm understanding the question correctly, the miniplayer is activated if you click the StartORB / in the Search Line type Windows media player / Launch the player from the programs list.   Verify if this is the player you were referencing?  If it is not the player you were referencing do not hesitate to post back to us that information. 

Please let us know if this information assists you or if there is further assistance that is needed.

Debbie
Mindwarp311
Found this helpful 0
Mindwarp311 replied on

Hey Debbie, I'm Hugo...I think I know what Jasqid was asking because I'm actually wondering the exact same thing, so I'll go into more detail and see if that helps you come up with a more relevant answer.  In Windows XP and Vista, if one right clicked on the Taskbar on the bottom of the Desktop, one had the option under Toolbars to select Windows Media Player.  Once this was done, every single time that a user minimizes WMP, it would go into mini-mode, dont really know the exact name, but it was basically a mini player on the Taskbar. I found it very useful, however, this option is not available in Windows 7 anymore.  So like my buddy Jasqid, I'm wondering if this feature will be brought back, or if it's still available but just has to be accessed differently?
jasqid
Found this helpful 0
jasqid replied on

Thanks, Hugo.
Yes, this is the mini player that I am referring to. In XP and Vista, it was activated by right clicking the taskbar and choosing MediaPlayer as a toolbar. Then everytime the WMP was minimized, it became a mini player in the bottom right corner of the taskbar, left of the taskicons. You could open a mini window of video.'

I have not been able to find this in the new WMP 12 or Win7, and after some further reading I've found others complaining about it as well.

So, I was hoping one of the engineers would hear/see this and put it back in, or even improve upon it.
Rami - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Rami - Support Engineer replied on

Jasqid,
The preview box when you highlight WMP has the forward backward and play/pause buttons.

So far that is all that I have personally found to be a good way of navigating.

I agree with you, the Windows Media Player toolbar is very useful.
It may have been removed infavor for a sleeker interface (consider the WMC gadget that you can add to your desktop).
Either way, lets see what the future result will be, ofcourse Windows 7 is not yet finalized.
Rami
Rami
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us
jasqid
Found this helpful 0
jasqid replied on

The preview window that you get on a hover doesnt really help much when working on a document or have another working window open.

As for the WMC gadget, it's is sort of cool, but streaming content doesn't play through that. Only in Windows Media Player. Now if there is a Media Player gadget... I guess that would work for me, but I havent found one that works.
Ejames
Found this helpful 0
Ejames replied on

I also use the wmp toolbar. Main features that the windows 7 version lacks is the ability to be able to mute it and stop the music from playing. Though not a significant problem it made it nice to have all options available, and what is there so far is not bad at all. Outside of these to option missing I would have to say it is exactly the same just different, like going from office xp to office 2007 everything is there if you know where to look (can be frustrating). If you hover over it long enough the song name, artist show up which can be annoying if you want to view it quickly and have it go away. And if you have good vision you can see how far along the song is, lol. I have to say personally I'm satisfied with it, but not everybody likes change when you've used such things for so long. I would be all for them to come up with a feature similar to the old one, but I have to say this one isn't unbearable.
Mindwarp311
Found this helpful 0
Mindwarp311 replied on

I would have to agree, it is not unbearable how the new WMP behaves on the taskbar with W7...one gadget that I have always loved and still find very useful in W7 is the "Now Playing" gadget by Lawrence James. For those that miss the old miniplayer toolbar on the taskbar, this could prove as a useful alternative for quickly looking up the name of the song and artist playing.
I knew it! I'm surrounded by @$$holes...Keep firing, @$$holes! ~Lord Helmet
Troubleshooter-7
Found this helpful 4
Troubleshooter-7 replied on

I would like to break down this issue to what I think should upgrade Windows Media Player (WMP) 12 to accomodate those, like me, that desire to see a Mini Player...

In WMP 10 (XP) and WMP 11 (Vista), there was a Mini Player available that would allow some basic controls (i.e., Pause, Volume, Forward, Back, Small Visualizations, etc.) upon minimizing the WMP Window.  This Mini Player could be activated by right clicking the Taskbar and selecting the Windows Media Player under toolbars so that anytime you minimized the WMP, it would go into the Mini Player Mode.  In WMP 12 (Windows 7) the Mini Player is now called "Mini Viewer" is activated anytime that WMP 12 is minimized, by hovering the mouse over the WMP icon in the task bar.  This Mini Viewer is limited by only having controls for controls for Pause, Small Visualizations, Forward and Backward.

Here what I would like to see... I would like a new Mini Player (similar to the one in WMP 10 and 11) be added to WMP 12 or, to see the new Mini Viewer improved with more practical controls (i.e., Volume, etc.).

I believe that this pretty much summarizes what most folks would like to see regarding a Mini Player in WMP 12 
Connery_007
Found this helpful 1
Connery_007 replied on

Yeah would be a real help if the mini-player was re-enabled, why such a useful tool was removed in the first place is beyond me, and the hover over WMP controls are just rubbish and really not intuitive.  Was great being able to flick round tracks while working on the PC, I think if this functionality dosen't reappear in the RTM version, I'll have to reinstall winamp just to have access to basic media controls on screen at all times :-(

Can anybody from MS give an explanation as to the thinking behind why this was removed?  Seems theres some deadwood still working at MS, intent on the old MS way of thinking (one step forward then two back).  I really like every other feature so far in the Beta & RC, it would be a real pity for something this essential at a functional workflow level to be excluded due to a new feature (the new taskbar) bulldozing over previous innovations that actually got things right (and by that I'm referring to WMP actually becoming a viable piece of software to use, which only happened from about WMP7 onwards)
Previous Previous Page of 5 Next Next