MIDI-moron seeking MIDI-orologist. Yamaha DGX-500 Portable Grand connected with Hosa MIDI to USB Interface cable. Can't get sound on computer speakers.

Connected Yamaha DGX-500 Portable Grand and Yeti LE USB Microphone to eMachines LE 1352-01e. Getting sound from Microphone, but not from Keyboard.

Installed SONAR Home Studio 7. When installing this software, it recognized my DGX-500 and allowed me to choose to include. (After performing System recovery and re-installing Sonar, this time I had the keyboard plugged in before I began installing software and it seemed to help. I also disabled my Anti-Virus program before installing SONAR.)

I am brand new to MIDI. Please explain in very basic terms when possible, and even over-explain. Don't assume I know anything. Perhaps offer websites I can go to (already posed question on Twitter @TheYamahaHub regarding Compatibility of Hosa MIDI to USB Interface vs. Yamaha UX16, since Yamaha salesperson at Best Buy sold me Hosa; Yamaha cable not in stock.)

Have followed "on Local/INITSEND" instructions (to the best of my limited understanding) from MIDI instructions in the Yamaha DGX-500 Owner's Manual. Do I need a Third piece of Hardware in between the Keyboard and the PC?

Answer
Answer
Thanx, Dena. I will look at the links. I once recorded CDs from my DGX-500 into a Radio Shack mixer, Music DVD Burner, and amplifier speakers. After System Recovery a few days ago, I reinstalled SONAR (this time AFTER my DGX was already plugged into the USB port). I was thus offered the option to select INPUT and OUTPUT paths for my USB Composite Device and USB MIDI. The Properties show the device is working properly. After reading up on MIDI in Windows, I suspect that I need to run a line from my headphone jack into the PC sound-in jack. For now, at least I can cheat and set the Yeti mic over the DGX speakers. Inadvertently, I set up Voice Recognition. I'll never keyboard a lyric or email again! Now, I can sing and write simultaneously! Thanx again! Pete from Pehn-Phencer.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 1, 2024 Views 1,810 Applies to: