Microsoft Windows 7 High Definition Audio Device driver wrongly swaps C Sub and RL RR Audio Jacks

This is a really bizarre thing that is driving me up a wall. I ran Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on my HP m1050y and the device ran as expected for years.

Then, I upgraded to Windows 7 and my RR speaker emits sounds that are supposed to come from the Subwoofer. Conversely, the subwoofer emits sounds that are supposed to come from the RR speaker.

I also noticed that the Speakers properties dialog displays the wrong colored jacks in the Jack Information section. C Sub should be orange and RL RR should be black. However, on this dialog the C Sub is black and the RL RR jack is orange.

Rolling back to Windows XP fixes the problem. Installing newer Realtek drivers for Windows 7 fixes that problem but makes it so that I cannot control the headphones and rear L R speaker jacks independently, and cannot hear the headphones without turning up the speakers' volume.

HP does not offer an updated driver for this device for Windows 7. I have also done a strange thing and installed and run Mac OS X on this machine just to test the audio and even in that OS the speaker jacks work correctly, just as they did in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. The problem definitely is in the Windows 7 version of the driver for this device. From what I have read it appears to have also been in the Vista version of the driver.

Does Microsoft have a HotFix available that addresses this problem? Or, is there a way to swap the jacks in the driver? The chipset is the ALC880.

I do not want to manually swap the plugs and jacks as this will not work for any other OS I might also boot on this machine. Installing the generic Realtek driver also is not an option as I need to be able to have separate control over headphones and speaker volumes.

I need maximum interoperability between operating systems as well as independent control of front and back green audio jacks. No other operating system, including older Windows operating systems, have these jacks wrong but Vista and Windows 7.

Anyone know of a solution or of a registry tweak I can do which will swap the jacks in the driver itself? Assistance would be appreciated.
Answer
Answer

There should be an option in the advanced options section of the Realtek control panel to seperate the front headphone and rear line out jack. Have you checked there? It looks like the Realtek 880 isn't supported by Realtek on Vista/Windows 7, so they may have removed the option. If you don't see it, I'd recommend checking with their support and see if there is any option to enable it.

The inbox HD Audio class driver just reads the values that the machine has configured. It doesn't support jack restasking like some 3rd party audio drivers do.

Thanks,
Chris

66 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 20, 2022 Views 92,422 Applies to: