Microphone not working with Windows 7 & StarCraft 2

I have Windows 7 64-bit installed on an HP Pavillion Elite (HP-M9600T) computer, and I'm having problems getting my microphone to work with Windows 7 and Starcraft 2 (SC2).  The strange part is that I have an old analog microphone that works, but it's quality is very poor.  I have purchased 3 or 4 new microphones (some analog others USB) and none of them have worked.  I've tried stand-alone and headset mics.

Each time I have tried a new microphone, I have gone into the "Sound" panel and verified that the mic is not muted.  I verify that the mic level is high (and if mic boost is available I ensure it is also up high).  Then I test the mic via the "Listen to this device" feature in the Microphone properties panel and can hear my voice via my speakers when I speak.  I can also see the green bar on the Sound panel fluctuate each time I speak.  However, no one can hear me when I play StarCraft 2 unless I unplug the new mic and plug in the old mic.  StartCraft 2 settings are set to use the default device and StarCraft 2 also has a test "Listen to this device" feature and I can hear my voice through the speakers.  Just like in the Sound panel, when I speak I can see the StarCraft 2 sound bar fluctuate in recognition of my voice.  Still, only the old mic works.  If my old mic had a mute button and better quality, I would ignore the problem.  However, it doesn't so I would like to get a new mic working.

All the drivers seem to be up to date and indicate they are working properly.  I have uninstalled and re-installed StarCraft 2.  I have also reinstalled Windows 7.  I have used both the generic drivers and installed the RealTek drivers that came with my machine.  Both sets of drivers give me the same result.  I thought they might be conflicting so I uninstalled the RealTek drivers, but I got the same result.  Teh generic drivers recognize my mic fine, but no one can hear me.  Any ideas?

Answer
Answer

Hi tlonni,

You may try the following steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

a. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Sound.

b. In the Sound dialog box, click the Recording tab, click the Microphone, and then click Properties.

c. Click the Advanced tab, click to clear the Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device check box, and then click OK.

Hope this information is helpful.

Praseetha K
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 7, 2021 Views 1,401 Applies to: