Corry_Europe
Had this question 33
Question
Corry_Europe asked on

Links will not open or play online .wmv files

IE8 won't play WMV video files from links

With IE8, under Windows7 RC, in a webpage there is a link such as: http://.../file.wmv
If I click on it, an error page immediately appears, saying: Internet explorer cannot display the webpage.
Further description of the error is about 'internet connectivity lost', or 'error in link' etc..
But if I just right click on the linkand 'save as', the wmv file downloads, get saved, and opens and play flawlessly in WMP by default.
The system just has WMP as player, configured with all defaults, I double checked.
I have identical problem on another machine with IE8 on Vista, with Divx and VLC Player installed (but all defaults to WMP)

I found reports of similar problems on the internet, but really no true identification and solution of this problem (just the usual bunch of 'use firefox!' or 'download winamp!' comments..)

Any help here?
THANKS!

Charles_Flook
Found this helpful 15
Answer
Charles_Flook replied on

fix: open notepad paste these lines in:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi]
@="WMP11.AssocFile.AVI"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asf]
@="WMP11.AssocFile.ASF"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wmv]
@="WMP11.AssocFile.WMV"
save file to your desktop 'filename'.reg -- make sure you change it from saving as a .txt file to a "." file open the file, agree to adjust registry, open your movies
David. F
Found this helpful 0
Answer
David. F replied on
Microsoft

Hello, Corry

Does this affect all sites or just a certain one?

If it’s just a certain website, there may be a server side error.

You may also be able to find others with a similar problem on the Windows 7 Support Forums: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro

David
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.
Jack - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 3
Jack - Support Engineer replied on

Hello Corry,

Thanks for posting.  This sounds like an add-on problem with IE that is interfering with wmv links.  The first thing I’d suggest you do is reset the IE defaults.  Click on “Tools” and then Internet Options then click on the Advanced tab.  Locate the Reset Internet Explorer Settings heading and then click the “Reset..” button.  Navigate to a site with video links and try clicking one of the links.  If it works correctly we are done.

If links still aren’t working we need to try IE without Add-ons. Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and click Internet Explorer no Add-ons.  Again, try a video link.  If it loads correctly we will need to determine which add-on is causing the problem. Restart IE normally, then click “Tools” on the Menu Bar and select Manage Add-ons.  Disable all of your add-ons and then re-enable them 1 at a time until you locate the add-on causing your problem.

Let us know if these suggestions solve your problem.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack
Jack
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us k
Corry_Europe
Found this helpful 0
Corry_Europe replied on

Hello Jack,
thanks for your answer.

I tried both things, unfortunately without success. Even after total reset and running without any add-on, IE8 always shows the 'cannot display webpage' error.
In addition to the above I also tried disabling antivirus/antimalware software, with no better effect.

By googling more and more around, I found several people complaining for the same behavior, and no clear solution.

I am not sure if this forum is the right place for this problem, as it seems more 'IE8' related, than Win7 related (I have same problem on a machine under Vista), maybe according to your experience you can suggest me other places to look for the solution, or how to report a (possible) IE8 bug to Microsoft.

Thanks again.
C
Debbie - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 1
Debbie - Support Engineer replied on

Hi Corry_Europe,

Thanks for the response.

Try the following to try and resolve the issue.

This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To resolve this behavior, reregister the Wmpdxm.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. At a command prompt, type one of the following commands:
    • %systemroot%\system32
    • c:\windows\system32
  2. At a command prompt, type the following command:
    regsvr32.exe wmpdxm.dll
  3. Start Registry Editor. Verify that the following registry key points to the correct path and file name for the (Default) value:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\InprocServer32
    Typically, the registry key points to the following path and file name:
    C:\Windows\System32\Wmpdxm.dll

Let us know if further suggestions are needed involving this issue.

Debbie
Debbie Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
Corry_Europe
Found this helpful 0
Corry_Europe replied on

Hi Debbie,

I tried everything you said, but again the problem is still there.
I did run CMD as administrator, register the mentioned DLL with success, and check the register key.
But what happens is exactly the same.
Just to recap I am using Windows7 RC, with WMP 12, everything by default. No other players installe, no other codecs installed. And whatever wmv file, if I right click and save as, then play normally in WMP

Thanks again for support, I will check around again, of course any further advice is welcome.
Best regards
David. F
Found this helpful 0
Answer
David. F replied on
Microsoft

Hello, Corry

Does this affect all sites or just a certain one?

If it’s just a certain website, there may be a server side error.

You may also be able to find others with a similar problem on the Windows 7 Support Forums: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro

David
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.
goforit58103
Found this helpful 0
goforit58103 replied on
I have the same problem with mpg files.  and it is not just one site or server I have tried different sites.  When ever I select a link that plays a video in Media player it say "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" .   When I had Window 7 Beta I did not have this problem.  I have not been able to get Media Player to open automatically yet when I select a site in IE in Firefox it downloads and plays but not play as it downloads.
Charles_Flook
Found this helpful 6
Charles_Flook replied on

Reply In reply to deleted message

fix: open notepad paste these lines in: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi]
@="WMP11.AssocFile.AVI"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asf]
@="WMP11.AssocFile.ASF"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wmv]
@="WMP11.AssocFile.WMV"
save file to your desktop 'filename'.reg -- make sure you change it from saving as a .txt file to a "." file open the file, agree to adjust registry, open your movies
Corry_Europe
Found this helpful 0
Corry_Europe replied on

Hi David,
the problem appears on many different sites. Actually, I think it happens on all sites I tried; I didn't find one that doesn't show the problem.

I really don't know what else to try - if I have time and find another HDD I'll try just reinstalling WIN7 RC from scratch, just to figure out this.

Still the question remain open, thanks to anyone to post here other ideas/solutions.

Best regards
Charles_Flook
Found this helpful 15
Answer
Charles_Flook replied on

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi]
@="WMP11.AssocFile.AVI"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asf]
@="WMP11.AssocFile.ASF"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wmv]
@="WMP11.AssocFile.WMV"
skomic
Found this helpful 2
skomic replied on

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi]
@="WMP11.AssocFile.AVI"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asf]
@="WMP11.AssocFile.ASF"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wmv]
@="WMP11.AssocFile.WMV"

Hi Charles_Flook, Your fix worked for me. Thanks a lot.
Previous Previous Page of 7 Next Next