In Windows Media Player get error message 0x80004005

Running Windows 7, Svc. Pack 1.  Trying to fix Windows Media Player.  went to command prompt as instructed in another message and entered Regsvr32 jscript.dll and received confirmation.  Entered Regsvr32 vbscript.dll and received above error code.  I have tried everything to get WMP to work and this one was supposed to be the big Fix but alas, it only got me another problem.  Please, please help.

Hi,

·         What is the exact issue that you are facing with Windows media player?

·         What happens when you try to open Windows media player?

·         From which link did you try to follow the troubleshooting steps?

Please provide us more information regarding the issue, so that we can assist you further.

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The exact issue is that Windows Media Player will not work.  When I click on a music file I get the message “Server Execution failed”.  In trying to fix this problem I went to this web site and was told, among other things (none of which worked), to right click on command prompt and enter “regsvr32 jscript.dll” (without parenthesis) and “regsvr32vbscript.dll” (again, no parenthesis).  The first one took.  The second one got the response “error message 0x80004005, and Windows Media Player still does not work.  I first encountered the problem when trying to open a file that came on an email.  I cannot open any file requiring Windows Media Player from an email and also cannot open an email file using any other media player (RealPlayer for example).  I have deleted and reinstalled Service Pack 1, Moved Windows Media Player to a .bak folder, as per Halima S (Support Engineer) and three methods suggested by Suresh Kumar (Microsoft Support).  None of the suggested remedies have solved the original problem.  Help.  Please

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem and no help has resolved the issue, I have tried just about everything.....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi mlinic1,
Because of the age of the post you replied to, I would suggest that you post your question in the Microsoft Answer’s Forum with as much detailed information about your issue as possible which will create a new thread. That will allow the entire online community to examine and hopefully provide insight into your issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-sound?tab=all

Also, when you create that new thread, pleas include exactly what you did and exactly the results.

That way the people responding won't have to spend a lot of time going over the issues you have found answers to.

eddie b

The answer is in the details!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 17, 2024 Views 1,928 Applies to: