Buzzy42
Had this question 180
Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
Buzzy42 asked on

Windows 7 RTM 64-bit mouse freezes/stutters multiple times per minute

Hi all,

I've installed the Windows 7 Enterprise RTM (my company has software assurance) on one of our machines, dual booting with XP.  The Windows 7 install is totally clean, but it has a nagging issue of mouse pointer freezing/stuttering that is driving me absolutely nuts! Basically, every 10-15 seconds, the mouse pointer just freezes in place for about a second. The computer itself doesn't seem to be locking up but the mouse pointer will then suddenly jump back about where it should have been if it didn't freeze. (i.e., it seems to be lagging behind responding to the mouse but catches up, it doesn't continue from where it was).

It seems like the problem is getting worse the more drivers and such that I setup, I was hoping once I got all my sound/video drivers in it would get better.

Does anyone have any ideas and/or performance monitoring tips? Nothing seems to be spiking in task manager. And it all works fine in XP.

System is:
Asus P5WD2 motherboard
Pentium D 940 (3.4, dual core)
ATI Radeon HD4850 video card
Asus Xonar D2X sound card
Adaptec 29320 SCSI + Atlas 15K drive (Win XP boot drive) and Plextor SCSI CD burner
Other SATA HDs including the Win 7 installed drive
Razer Copperhead mouse

Thanks for any tips
David. F
Found this helpful 4
Answer
David. F replied on
Microsoft

Hello,

You can find help with troubleshooting your problem on the Windows 7 Support Forums at the following link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

Thanks.

David
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.
BruceHouston
Found this helpful 17
Most Helpful Reply
BruceHouston replied on

David,

No offense; but the provided link merely points to a forum home page linking to thousands of threads.  I cannot find any help with troubleshooting this problem using the provided search engine.

Your reply suggests that you know of a solution to this problem that seems to be vexing many.  Perhaps you can be more specific, if indeed you do know of a solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Bruce
Mark L. Ferguson
Found this helpful 1
Mark L. Ferguson replied on
I would be sure you have Win 7 drivers for the ATI video, either from Windows Update, or the ATI site. Aero doesn't seem to be working right. You might get some infor from the command 'perfmon /res' , or looking at the Action Center in Control Panel.
Rating posts helps other users
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
Rating posts helps other users
Mark L. Ferguson (former MVP)
MasterTB
Found this helpful 2
MasterTB replied on

I have the same problem on my machine! It's driving me crazy. I have a Desktop Wireless 7000 from microsoft, and at first I thought it was the mouse drivers but I tried a USB mouse I have at home and the same thing keeps happening. System is: Asus M2A-VM HDMI AMD 690G chipset, On Board HD audio and Lan AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+ 4GB Kingston DDR2 800 XFX 9800GT video Card PCI-E Samsung 320GB SATA II HD with System: win7 x64 Hitachi 1TB SATA II HD with files. Asus SATA DVD-RW drive.. Any help will be appreciated.
jpskidmore
Found this helpful 0
jpskidmore replied on
I also have this problem:

Tried disabling Aero, but the mouse stil stutters

Win 7 Pro x64 from MAPS download
Asus M2NPV-VM Mobo
AMD 4400+ X2 Athon Socket AM2
6G DDR2 800 RAM
2 SATA Drives in RAID 0 using on board nVidia controlelr
Some USB Mouse from China, connected through a Belkin Switch2 KVM
nVIDIA 8800 GTS GPU

Hope this adds to the list of people with problems - maybe we all have something in common

John Skidmore
jps IT ltd

Brent Randall
Found this helpful 2
Brent Randall replied on
I am having a similiar problem. One thing that happens on mine is if I give keyboard input my mouse will come back to life. I can hit pretty much any key.

System:
Asus P5N32 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo (2.66ghz)
Nvidia 7900GS
Logitech G5 mouse
Comfort Curve 2000 Keyboard
David. F
Found this helpful 4
Answer
David. F replied on
Microsoft

Hello,

You can find help with troubleshooting your problem on the Windows 7 Support Forums at the following link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

Thanks.

David
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.
BruceHouston
Found this helpful 17
BruceHouston replied on

David,

No offense; but the provided link merely points to a forum home page linking to thousands of threads.  I cannot find any help with troubleshooting this problem using the provided search engine.

Your reply suggests that you know of a solution to this problem that seems to be vexing many.  Perhaps you can be more specific, if indeed you do know of a solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Bruce
gfbonfim
Found this helpful 0
gfbonfim replied on

Does anyone have a solution?
nikachu
Found this helpful 0
nikachu replied on

same exact problem here.  i disabled the onboard nvidia network controllers and replaced them with an intel gig pci card with no luck.  nothing special about cpu or network resource usage either.

performance is perfectly fine inside of 3d applications, but is terrible on the desktop.  locks up every 10 seconds or so with or without areo.

this seems to be a VERY widespread problem across many chipsets and video cards.. i'd love a solution because i'm about to just go back to windows xp where this problem does not exist.

i've read someone theorizing about windows 7's 2d rendering being pretty awful but nobody had any solution there either.
gfbonfim
Found this helpful 0
gfbonfim replied on

same exact problem here.  i disabled the onboard nvidia network controllers and replaced them with an intel gig pci card with no luck.  nothing special about cpu or network resource usage either.

performance is perfectly fine inside of 3d applications, but is terrible on the desktop.  locks up every 10 seconds or so with or without areo.

this seems to be a VERY widespread problem across many chipsets and video cards.. i'd love a solution because i'm about to just go back to windows xp where this problem does not exist.

i've read someone theorizing about windows 7's 2d rendering being pretty awful but nobody had any solution there either.

Nikachu,
I was thinking that the problem is just related to usb mouses.
I don´t have this issue with ps2 mouses.

So i guess, theres nothing to do with image rendering.
Maybe is especific with HID controler on 7.
ufo888
Found this helpful 0
ufo888 replied on

Same problem here, been searching for a solutions for days with no luck.

Windows 7 64bit
Logitech MX1100 mouse (setpoint 4.8)
ATI Radeon 4890 vdieo card (ATI Catalyst™ 9.9 Suite for Windows 7 (64 bit))

Derek
Previous Previous Page of 41 Next Next