BrianP748
Had this question 159
Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
BrianP748 asked on

Windows 7 gives me "Not Responding" message a lot!

Since going from Vista x64 to Windows 7 x64 RC1 (on my fast PC), I find that I get the "(Not Responding)" message a lot when there's disk I/O going on.  I have four drives installed but am only really using the 3 fast ones.  The Resource Monitor shows the reported application e.g. firefox in red and with status of "not responding".  The problem is that the application is running but takes forever to complete it's task.

I get this Not Responding frequently with IE 8 (which is my primary browser), Firefox, Excel, Outlook, Explorer, etc. etc.  I have spent a lot of time monitoring apps in Task Manager and Resource Manager -- can't see anything weird there.  I have shut down antivirus programs, turned off ReadyBoost, made BIOS changes...   Nothing seems to help.
Jonathan Matthis aka 7tester
Found this helpful 9
Answer
Jonathan Matthis aka 7tester replied on

The "upgrade" maybe your problem. 7127 is an internal build and isn't released to the public which says to me that you got it from a torrent and as such I'm afraid that I am unable to help you. I sugguest preforming a clean install of the official RC.

Jonathan Matthis aka "7tester" on MSN QnA
Chief Site Administrator
Windows 7 QnA
http://windows7qna.ning.com
Sabien_free
Found this helpful 3
Answer
Sabien_free replied on

Hi all,

my contribution following this thread is the following:

you all seem to have a SATA configuration sometimes on multiboot systems and the Windows 7 RC 64 bit editions.

There is lots of talking going on about these issues, performance as well as boot up/shut down on the Technet Forums relating to Windows 7.

I suggest you all join that forum to have a better view on what's going on with Sata and 64 bit.

Sorry, I don't have a bookmark to it, but just visit Technet, Forums, Windows 7 and browse over there, there seems to be some solutions already there......
It's a little more advanced in user experience but please join that central point.

Ciao,
Sabine
---Just a HP Mini Netbook running Windows 7 RC ---
Found this helpful 1
How much memory (RAM) are you rocking?
Chief Site Administrator
Windows 7 QnA
BrianP748
Found this helpful 2
BrianP748 replied on

6GB of memory. 

This is my config:
CM Storm Sniper
Intel i7-920 2.66
MSI X58 Platinum
EVGA NVidia 9800 GT 512MB
Corsair DDR3 6GB 1600MHz
HD SATA 500GB+250GB+1TB+1TB
Microsoft Windows 7 RC build 7127 (upgraded from 7100 last night but it did not help this problem)
Found this helpful 9
Answer

The "upgrade" maybe your problem. 7127 is an internal build and isn't released to the public which says to me that you got it from a torrent and as such I'm afraid that I am unable to help you. I sugguest preforming a clean install of the official RC.

Chief Site Administrator
Windows 7 QnA
Ac3theone
Found this helpful 3
Ac3theone replied on
yea ive been having that same problem too
Ac3theone
Found this helpful 2
Ac3theone replied on

i have 1gb of ram and a 144gb HHD
BrianP748
Found this helpful 3
BrianP748 replied on

Chief Site Administrator
Windows 7 QnA
http://windows 7qna.ning.com

No, 7127 is not the problem.  I said I've been having the problem on 7100.  I tried so many things (experimenting with different BIOS settings, removing programs from startup, shutting down all programs, monitoring event logs, disconnecting and reconnecting drives, etc.).  Out of desperation, I upgraded to 7127 to see if that would fix the hanging problems that I was encountering.  I am not seeing any degradation after installing 7127 (or any improvements).
msalters
Found this helpful 7
msalters replied on

At the risk of a me2; same problem. Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition, 4 GB DDR2, GigabyteMA790FX-DS5,W7-64 installed on brand new OCZ Vertex 60GB. Controller does use DMA. Geforce 9600GT with recent (May 6) WHQL drivers, WDDM 1.1 (Ion 185 IIRC)

Performance scores all look good, CPU usage doesn't hit unexpected values. Indexing and defrag turned off (it's an SSD).

Yet, the "not responding" caption is way too familiar.Seen in IE8 and Opera 9, but even Explorer itself hits it with alarming frequency. It seems to improve a bit with time. On the other hand, application startup itself is downright disappointing, and switching between applicaions isn't good either.

As a programmer, I'd say the problem is the message pump. I hit this most often on a "quick" series of events: mousewheel, typing. But I should be able type "slashdot.org" without overflowing a buffer before the "g" ! And a subsequent WM_PAINT of IE8 on a repaint should not take 50 ms or more. Some periods of unresponsiveness probably exceed a second.

The first NT version I used was 3.51, and this feels equally responsive. But 3.51 managed that on a P166 with 16MB of RAM.

msalters
Found this helpful 0
msalters replied on

Update: W7 itself managed to diagnose the problem:

"The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. - Scenario : The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded.

Opcode: Video Memory Degradation"

Details:

DisplayDeviceFriendlyNameLength 59
DisplayDeviceFriendlyName NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)
MemoryBandwidth 22507000
MemorySize 2400382976
Scenario 3

Memory size isn't good - 512MB physical, and with nothing more than a webbrowser and Explorer open, that should be more than sufficient. Yet there's now 1791MB of off-card memory used. PCIe is a nice bus, but it's not intended for that kind of abuse. Note that I had the performance problem with both the OOB driver as well as NVidia's 185.85 build.

BrianP748
Found this helpful 1
BrianP748 replied on

msalters,

Where did you see W7 diagnose this problem ("The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention...)?  Was that in the Event Viewer?

My X58 Platinum motherboard had the latest AMI BIOS 1.5 that I had upgraded very recently and I'm wondering if that was causing the "Not Responding" in some way.  I was finding Not Responding way too often on Explorer, Device Manager, IE 8, etc.

This motherboard is supposed to support SLI so I upgraded to AMI BIOS 3.4 which enables that.  So far it's looking very good :)

Although, reading your post, I wonder if I have to be suspicious of the NVidia 185.85 build too.  That's what I'm using on my GeForce 9800 GT.
Debbie - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 2
Debbie - Support Engineer replied on

Hi BrianP748, msalters, and AC3theone,

Thanks for posting to "Getting Ready for Windows 7" community forum.

From the original post, since these issues mostly involve IE or other browsers have you tried running IE8 with no addons?

ClickStartORB / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Internet Explorer - no addons

Do you experience the Not Responding issues as described in your original post with out the addons?  If so verify there is not a corrupted add-on.  In IE8 select Tools / Manage Add-ons - notice the 4 or 5 categories on the left, expand each category and enable a few addons at a time and see if it effects the responsiveness.  Follow that troubleshooting process through until the addon that is causing the delay is identified.

As msalters has set the Desktop Manager, unless this is something that the GEFORCE is referencing you may try Click StartORB / in the search line type PERFORMANCE AND INFORMATION - select it from the programs list / select ADVANCED from the left side of the window.  The first screen should show PERFORMANCE ISSUES - you may spot check that and see if it shows any information of significance involving the issues.  Review the section - VIEW PERFORMANCE DETAILS IN EVENT LOGS.  Note any information errors and eventid's as well as verbiage it might provide involving this issue.  You are also able to setup a Performance Monitor from this section of Control Panel. 

To start a Performance Monitor on this system, Open Performance monitor from the section listed in the above paragraph, right click Data Collector Sets select NEW / or you could right click on the Data Set Collector and select help, it will walk you through setting up the Performance Monitor for your system.  You are able to select DISK / CPU/ NETWORK and other user defined performance that may be of value in monitoring this issue.

Please let us know what the monitor and reports find for you so we may assist you as information is provided.

Regards,

Debbie
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Debbie Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
Previous Previous Page of 14 Next Next