Vanhainan
Had this question 8
Question
Vanhainan asked on

Windows 7, Explorer crash bug - "Explorer has stopped working"

Windows 7 64 bit upgrade version

Explorer crashes with the message "Explorer has stopped working"

Restart sends me into infini crash mode, best guess? Windows suddenly can't load thumbnails. Disable Thumbnails, infinicrash stops.

Now I cannot access any file folder. Trying to access any file folder by double clicking, right clicking - open, or trying to save a file will crash explorer.

Solutions that have failed:

Virus scan - no viruses found

Corrupted files - SFC scan via command prompt reports no problems

Clean boot - Errors continue

Safe mode - Errors continue

Regedit - suggested disabled issues is not present (machine throttling)

No new programs have been installed, no new files have been downloaded. It just started happening for no discernable reason.

Windows update downloaded and implemented - errors continue.

Windows restore - errors continue.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: InPageError

Error Status Code: c000009c

Faulting Media Type: 00000003

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: a650

Additional Information 2: a650c58a1a7a8f3f33e0f4bbe8a4fa54

Additional Information 3: 182a

Additional Information 4: 182a9be1e0a852d05c46ce9cf4562914

Help?

Random Update: So strangely, using DivX which does not render file thumbnails, allows me to browse all my folders....

Andre.Ziegler
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Andre.Ziegler replied on

buy a new HDD.
"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
Vanhainan
Found this helpful 0
Vanhainan replied on

Reply In reply to deleted message

I tried that, no such luck.
Andre.Ziegler
Found this helpful 0
Andre.Ziegler replied on

ignore SolutionProvider, this is a SPAM bot.

Problem Event Name: InPageError

Error Status Code: c000009c

The message means, data can't be read from the pagefile and the error code means STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR. This mostly means your HDD is damaged. Run a diagnostic tool.

best regards
André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
Umesh P
Found this helpful 1
Umesh P replied on
Microsoft

Hi,

Adding to Andre.Ziegler's suggestion you may also try the below methods.

Method 1: Remove all the third party media player software, if any, installed on your computer.
Refer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Uninstall-or-change-a-program

Method 2: Try the below steps.

a. Go to the following location c:\windows (By default windows is installed on C drive)
b. Right-click on explorer.exe and select Run as administrator.

Method 3: Check your computer drives for errors.
Refer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

Method 4: Run Windows Memory Diagnostic to test for bad RAM.

Refer the link below for more details:

Diagnosing memory problems on your computer
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Diagnosing-memory-problems-on-your-computer
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes.

Thanks and Regards
Umesh P - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
Vanhainan
Found this helpful 0
Vanhainan replied on

Thank you for the insight, now I have somewhere to start instead of taking shots in the dark.

I find this odd though. My friend and I worked on this all last night and couldn't come up with anything. In the interim, because I still need computer functionality, we created a partition and set me up with Linux. Through Linux I can access everything that windows couldn't. If the HDD was damaged would that mean that I couldn't access those files and directories at all? Is it possible Explorer only THINKS there is a Status_device_data_error without there actually being one?

Regardless of wha t Explorer thinks, what tool would you suggest for the diagnostic, is there something I need to download or is it built in to windows already?

@UmeshThank you for these suggestions! I will try each and see if any of them work for me.

Though as I mentioned above I cannot access C:\windows, explorer will crash if I try to open the folder.

I also cannot access My Computer, again Explorer crashes.

And the plot thickens! When I attempted the memory check it gave me this error! Windows cannot find %windir%\system32\mdsched.exe

I'm getting the feeling that I'm in it deep on this one...

Andre.Ziegler
Found this helpful 0
Andre.Ziegler replied on

Thank you for the insight, now I have somewhere to start instead of taking shots in the dark.

I find this odd though. My friend and I worked on this all last night and couldn't come up with anything. In the interim, because I still need computer functionality, we created a partition and set me up with Linux. Through Linux I can access everything that windows couldn't. If the HDD was damaged would that mean that I couldn't access those files and directories at all? Is it possible Explorer only THINKS there is a Status_device_data_error without there actually being one?

Regardless of wha t Explorer thinks, what tool would you suggest for the diagnostic, is there something I need to download or is it built in to windows already?

No, the HDD is damaged. You simply installed Linux on a part of your HDD, where it is ok. The pagefile is placed on the damaged part. Have you run the diagnostic tool from the HDD manufacture?

Vanhainan
Found this helpful 0
Vanhainan replied on

Welp all my access routes in system are blocked, I can't scan the disk and most of the diagnostic functions are in the damaged sectors. My system restore menu on startup won't work either so I'm guessing I'll have to hard format the partition and start over, or do I need to buy a new hard drive altogether?
Andre.Ziegler
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Andre.Ziegler replied on

buy a new HDD.
Number4t7
Found this helpful 1
Number4t7 replied on

I feel your pain with Win 7, same **** bugs, all right few less than Vista, but this "Explorer shut down with no apparent reason" "Would you like to report the error to Microsoft" "I am sorry, we are unable to receive your mesagge at this time" LOL how are they fixing anything? I also replace harddrive, did not use an image or old backup, still the nature of the beast appears to be, The Microsoft Empire, Norton Empire, are monopolizing PC world with less than the best. So What Is The Solution?? Bill Gates left a well oiled, not perfect but good, company in the hands of lesser men. He deserves a break at this point. CIAO.
John RichardBates
Found this helpful 1
John RichardBates replied on
These bugs still haven't been fixed. Affects all 64 bit apps. Windows, AMD or Intel Bug.
dimitarkolev
Found this helpful 0
dimitarkolev replied on

Method 2 does the job. Thanks!
But i did not understand....
Why was necessary to run explorer as admin ?!
Where is the problem ?
And this problem appears even for pictures! (thumbnails, list, or details - does not matter)
When i press ''select all'' and then ''file'' - explorer crashes.
One more thing.
My laptop is recently purchased.
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next