Windows 10 update blocking windows update and software install

Ever since I had the "windows 10 update" on windows update, I can't install some software, and I can't select what update to install, or install them manually.

When I go to the windows update screen, its written :

"Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready You need to restart your PC to begin installation.[...]"

The only option is "restart now".

The thing is, when that update installed, I expected to be able to pick a time to install it. Instead, I get to get nagged every 3 days( can't choose a later date ) about installing Windows 10, and I lost manual control of my updates, and I can't install some software like visual studio 2015.

I cannot upgrade right now and won't be able for a long while. I may need to change my motherboard relatively soon, before next July, and in the process I would void completely my windows 10 license if I'd installed it.. I

And to top it off, I assume that since I used NTFS junctions to move the user directory to another partition on the same drive, that the windows 10 upgrade will most likely damage the user folder in the process considering its "unsupported" and etc.. So I'll need to basically do a full fresh install of Windows 10 anyways, especially since I got a windows 7 upgrade license.

In short, how can I get rid of that nag screen, and get to install software and updates on my PC again ? Is there is a way without just formatting everything and reinstalling windows ?

Hi Joe,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and sorry for delayed response.

As per the issue description you don't want Windows 10 right now.

This can be done if the update which is responsible for this icon is either uninstalled from your system or if it is hidden. So, first I would suggest you to uninstall KB3035583 update and then hide it. Hope this would resolve your issue. in future if you want Windows 10 just install this update and you can upgrade to Windows 10.

To check if the updates is already installed:

• Open Installed Updates by pressing Windows key + X. Select Control Panel from the list, clicking Programs, and then, under Programs and Features, clicking View installed updates.
  • Click the update KB3035583 that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

You can refer to the below mentioned steps to hide an update.

1. Press Window key + X.
  2. Select Control Panel from the list.
  3. Under view by option select large icons.
  4. And then click either Windows Update or Microsoft Update.
  5. Now click on important updates available (recommended).
  6. Click to clear the check box that is next to the KB3035583 update.
  7. Expand the KB3035583 update that you want to hide, and then click the "Don't show this update again" check box.
  8. Click Review and install updates.

For more information you may refer to the suggestion of Jose Antonio replied on February 10, 2012.

how to hide / disable a priority Windows Update KB2633952 which already has a current update on my computer?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/how-to-hide-disable-a-priority-windows-update/4d663701-1100-45a5-9c24-2f1410e14877

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,   

Ramesh Kumar.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, its not that simple. The "Get windows 10" icon is long gone, KB3035583 is too. There is no update left related to Windows 10 to uninstall.  I uninstalled + hidden them all already.

What I got is the stage in-between the windows 10 update having installed itself, and between having to "schedule windows 10's installation". I get periodically a nag screen with a 1 hour countdown, asking me to pick a date for installing windows 10 within 3 days from today's date.

And when I go to the windows update page in the settings, all I can see is a message telling me I can't install updates because windows needs to restart to complete the installation.

Letting it restart does nothing at all, it stays there, on the next reboot. And doing so also adds an entry to my update log reading "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro" with the status "failed".

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

RE:  KB3035583

I have just finished doing a fresh install of W10 and tried adding D-Link DWA-160 Wireless N600 Dual Band USB Adapter, and when running the install disk, I keep getting a window advising me that the software is dangerous and that Windows has blocked it.  I don't even have that update !!!!! So something else is causing the 'blockage'.  I have even killed UAC.

The funnier thing is: when I cancel out of the installation, I get another window saying "Aborted by user".  WHAT ????

Windows did NOT allow me to decide what I want on my PC, yet I run Avast! and Malwarebytes Antimalware.

WHO decides what I install onMY PC?

How do I get around this, or should I revert to Windows 7 which is GREAT?????

bionic39.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Prevent Windows 10

Microsoft has turned a decades-long respected process — Windows Update — into a malware distribution system.  It is for all intents and purposes forcing innocent and content Windows 7 computer users into “upgrading” to its new Windows 10 version.  It promises to allow return to Windows 7 within 30 days.  That return process is flawed and leaves your computer virtually unusable and requires re-installation of Windows 7.  For some owners without a re-usable Microsoft product key or a factory restore partition on their computers, it results in a useless thing that used to be a computer.

Windows 10 is a completely new and very different Windows.  Nothing like anything you have used before.

1. It is primarily an advertising/sales vehicle.  That’s the keen motivation and reason it is free.
  2. By adopting Windows 10, you sacrifice any privacy — essentially, anything on your computer is Microsoft’s and its partner’s to use as they see fit.
  3. Windows Update becomes non-optional.  You, as owner of your system no longer have control over what happens to your computer.  Microsoft will re-make Windows (on your computer) into what serves its purposes without asking your permission or opinion.
  4. Windows 10 as a system is still full of un-fulfilled promises and bugs.  Many of your programs will not run on Windows 10.  In fact, the “upgrade” process removes some.

So, if you like Windows 7, and most do very much so, I advise you to reject Windows 10 for the foreseeable future.  Be advised that Microsoft has committed to support Windows 7 until at least January, 2020.  Most of your current computers will last that long.

You must adopt a protective stance to prevent your Windows 7 system from becoming something you do not want.

I advise my clients to change the Windows Update Setting to Never check for updates.  Once a month, on the 2nd Tuesday, they will get an email from me advising to manually start WU and then hide every update except for ones specifically labeled Security.  In other words, only security updates will be applied.  In all of 2015, not a single update that was not security, was something that improved Windows 7.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3016033/microsoft-windows/enough-already-microsoft-pushes-windows-nagware-patch-kb-3035583-for-sixth-time.html

Some may scoff at this idea.  Well they are incorrect.  Never means you are never giving Microsoft a chance to decide what you download and install.  It does NOT mean you will never update.  The difference is that now you take control and the responsibility of updating of Windows and Office.

Some may believe that Microsoft would not do such a stupid thing.

You must read Woody Leonhard (one of the most respected writers in the trade) 

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2983777/microsoft-windows/how-to-clean-the-windows-10-crapware-off-your-windows-7-or-81-pc.html?nsdr=true Woody calls the Windows 10 download “crapware.”  Woody’s advice is that if you have Windows 7, keep it, you are better off by far.

If you see the Windows flag on the bottom right of your screen, chances are pretty high, your computer already has the Win10 files. Even if you do not, it may be on your computer shortly anyway.  Here are instructions on how to rid yourself of it:

First download and run GWX Control panel.  A free app:  http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2979572/microsoft-windows/gwx-stopper-an-easy-way-to-permanently-delete-get-windows-10-nagware-in-windows-7-and-81.html

It will allow you to prevent any future operating system upgrades and delete downloaded Win10 files, but it will not remove any of Microsoft’s installed or attempts to install spyware.

This process works, but it only works if you do all the steps and do them in order.

1. Take Windows Update off automatic — Never check for updates
  2. Windows Update, Installed updates, WAIT a long time till you see the green bar complete its long trip to the right
  3. Now, search for each of the listed updates, uninstall them.  You must wait until the list is re-created each time.
  4. If there are others you want to uninstall, click Later
  5. Then, clear the search box and after the list is again displayed, enter another KB number.
  6. Restart the PC.  It may take a long time to process this.

If you choose “check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them”, Microsoft will download “important” updates like KB3035583 to your computer.  It will be pre-checked — selected.  Unless you check Windows Update (WU) and discover this BEFORE you shut down, it will install it during the shut-down process.   Hiding accomplishes nothing.

This is more than annoying.  It goes way beyond that.  It is underhanded, dishonest and just plain wrong for Microsoft to do this.  There is no offer to accept or refuse.  There is no informed consent.  There is not even an idea of what it is your getting and what the result is if you change your mind.

List of updates that if already installed should be removed:

KB3035583
KB2952664
KB2977759
KB3021917
KB3075249
KB3080149
KB3083710
KB3083324
KB3090045
KB3112343
KB3123862
KB3022345
KB3068708

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Prevent Windows 10

Microsoft has turned a decades-long respected process — Windows Update — into a malware distribution system.  It is for all intents and purposes forcing innocent and content Windows 7 computer users into “upgrading” to its new Windows 10 version.  It promises to allow return to Windows 7 within 30 days.  That return process is flawed and leaves your computer virtually unusable and requires re-installation of Windows 7.  For some owners without a re-usable Microsoft product key or a factory restore partition on their computers, it results in a useless thing that used to be a computer.

Windows 10 is a completely new and very different Windows.  Nothing like anything you have used before.

1. It is primarily an advertising/sales vehicle.  That’s the keen motivation and reason it is free.
  2. By adopting Windows 10, you sacrifice any privacy — essentially, anything on your computer is Microsoft’s and its partner’s to use as they see fit.
  3. Windows Update becomes non-optional.  You, as owner of your system no longer have control over what happens to your computer.  Microsoft will re-make Windows (on your computer) into what serves its purposes without asking your permission or opinion.
  4. Windows 10 as a system is still full of un-fulfilled promises and bugs.  Many of your programs will not run on Windows 10.  In fact, the “upgrade” process removes some.

So, if you like Windows 7, and most do very much so, I advise you to reject Windows 10 for the foreseeable future.  Be advised that Microsoft has committed to support Windows 7 until at least January, 2020.  Most of your current computers will last that long.

You must adopt a protective stance to prevent your Windows 7 system from becoming something you do not want.

I advise my clients to change the Windows Update Setting to Never check for updates.  Once a month, on the 2nd Tuesday, they will get an email from me advising to manually start WU and then hide every update except for ones specifically labeled Security.  In other words, only security updates will be applied.  In all of 2015, not a single update that was not security, was something that improved Windows 7.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3016033/microsoft-windows/enough-already-microsoft-pushes-windows-nagware-patch-kb-3035583-for-sixth-time.html

Some may scoff at this idea.  Well they are incorrect.  Never means you are never giving Microsoft a chance to decide what you download and install.  It does NOT mean you will never update.  The difference is that now you take control and the responsibility of updating of Windows and Office.

Some may believe that Microsoft would not do such a stupid thing.

You must read Woody Leonhard (one of the most respected writers in the trade) 

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2983777/microsoft-windows/how-to-clean-the-windows-10-crapware-off-your-windows-7-or-81-pc.html?nsdr=true Woody calls the Windows 10 download “crapware.”  Woody’s advice is that if you have Windows 7, keep it, you are better off by far.

If you see the Windows flag on the bottom right of your screen, chances are pretty high, your computer already has the Win10 files. Even if you do not, it may be on your computer shortly anyway.  Here are instructions on how to rid yourself of it:

First download and run GWX Control panel.  A free app:  http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2979572/microsoft-windows/gwx-stopper-an-easy-way-to-permanently-delete-get-windows-10-nagware-in-windows-7-and-81.html

It will allow you to prevent any future operating system upgrades and delete downloaded Win10 files, but it will not remove any of Microsoft’s installed or attempts to install spyware.

This process works, but it only works if you do all the steps and do them in order.

1. Take Windows Update off automatic — Never check for updates
  2. Windows Update, Installed updates, WAIT a long time till you see the green bar complete its long trip to the right
  3. Now, search for each of the listed updates, uninstall them.  You must wait until the list is re-created each time.
  4. If there are others you want to uninstall, click Later
  5. Then, clear the search box and after the list is again displayed, enter another KB number.
  6. Restart the PC.  It may take a long time to process this.

If you choose “check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them”, Microsoft will download “important” updates like KB3035583 to your computer.  It will be pre-checked — selected.  Unless you check Windows Update (WU) and discover this BEFORE you shut down, it will install it during the shut-down process.   Hiding accomplishes nothing.

This is more than annoying.  It goes way beyond that.  It is underhanded, dishonest and just plain wrong for Microsoft to do this.  There is no offer to accept or refuse.  There is no informed consent.  There is not even an idea of what it is your getting and what the result is if you change your mind.

List of updates that if already installed should be removed:

KB3035583
KB2952664
KB2977759
KB3021917
KB3075249
KB3080149
KB3083710
KB3083324
KB3090045
KB3112343
KB3123862
KB3022345
KB3068708

WOW !  Thank you !!!!  I thought that democracy still existed, but if by giving us a FREE subversive Operating System to contend with,  I say NO !!!!

I will reformat my HDD and apply my favourite W7 Pro and that should keep me going to at least 2020 and by then Microsoft will hopefully realise that freedom still exists.

Thank you Canadian Tech!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the feedback.   Please click the Answer button on my post.  The helpful button too.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2022 Views 7,475 Applies to: