Wetmoref2
Had this question 45
Question
Wetmoref2 asked on

Using Windows 7, how do I run CHKDSK?

I've searched throughout the Control Panel and it's submenus and options but can find no means to initiate a scan for disk errors!

I did find chkdsk.exe in the Windows\System32 folder but when I double click it, the only response is a flash of the DOS {black, command prompt} screen! Is that the correct response?!

Is there no way to run [schedule] a scan disk [for errors] as there has been in earlier versions of Windows?!

Peace!
Bruce Chambers
Found this helpful 51
Answer
Bruce Chambers replied on

It's done the same way in Windows 7 as it was in earlier versions of Windows:

1. Open the "Computer" window
  2. Right-click on the drive in question
  3. Select the "Tools" tab
  4. In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -- RAH
Palcouk
Found this helpful 4
Palcouk replied on

Windows Help & Support, type 'chkdisk'

PS And you dont run chkdsk unless you have a reason to suspect a problem

Bruce Chambers
Found this helpful 51
Answer
Bruce Chambers replied on

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -- RAH
WillTell
Found this helpful 10
WillTell replied on

There are several ways to achieve your goal, here is a direct one.

Try this:

Click, Start>>>Computer>>>Highlight Os/C>>>Right click>>>Properties>>>Tools>>>Error Checking, Click, Check now

HTH

Wetmoref2
Found this helpful 0
Wetmoref2 replied on

Did that! If you read the question, you'd know what I found when I searched for "chkdisk" and what happened when I double-clicked the application icon.
Peace!
Wetmoref2
Found this helpful 0
Wetmoref2 replied on

Apologies, MVP.

Somewhere out there is a very sleep deprived, network frustration adled, response to your reply. You are quite correct the procedure for initiating the error check in Windows 7 is the same as in earlier versions.

I hadn't thought to check that as I was irrational over these networking issues and the fact that no scan disk for errors was present in the performance & maintenance application in the control panel.

Again, thanks for your correct response and forgive the insanity of my earlier reply.

Peace!
A. User
Found this helpful 1
A. User replied on

When using the 'chkdsk',once it is located via the the 'properties' of the hard-drive in question, and you elected to RUN it, you have to do a REBOOT.

For it (the 'chkdsk').......to do what it is supposed to do, to CHECK your hard-drive! On the REBOOT!

Depending on the Size of the hard-drive, it may pay you to....go make supper. take a (long) shower, or whatever else you migh have in mind to do, as the CHKDSK process will take some time to run.

RickyDupire
Found this helpful 1
RickyDupire replied on

how do you do it b4 the pc boots up......I am having an issue where it BSOD's everytime and I cannot get it to boot...so how do you do chkdsk when you cannot get into the OS
rusty post
Found this helpful 2
rusty post replied on

I found that chkdisk could not be run in standard account, had to switch to administrater.

paradoxxx
Found this helpful 2
paradoxxx replied on
in the start menu, type "chkdsk" in the search bar. When it shows up in the area above, you may need to right click and select "run as administrator" to get the cmd prompt to open instead of just appear for a sec.
sbibi11
Found this helpful 0
sbibi11 replied on

Hello,

I'm trying to do the same thing but when I click <Check Now>, it tells me that I have to format the drive. Is there a way out of this?

Thanks,
sbibi
Previous Previous Page of 10 Next Next