justinleelondon
Had this question 1
Question
justinleelondon asked on

Should I defragment my recovery partition and is it safe to do so?

I am using Windows 7 x64 and I would like to know whether it is safe to defragment my recovery partition? Seeing as it is listing in the Disk Defragmenter, which states that only disks which can be defragmented are shown i am assuming that it is.

I recently had to reinstall windows on one of my laptops so checked the disks for fragmentation a fews days later and i noticied that all disks had been defraged apart from C: drive and the recovery partition.

I also have a brand new laptop, which is also running Windows 7 x64 and all disks were defraged apart from C: drive again. Having looked at the schedule the date/time had not come up yet so i am assuming that is why, but why would windows choose to defrag one drive but not another?

Lastly, i notice Windows chooses to schedule a defrag every Wedneday at 01:00 by default so i assume if my laptop is off it will start the defrag process the next time i turn my system on, correct?
Gerry C J Cornell
Found this helpful 1
I would not defragment a recovery paritition. The only time you will ever need to access the partition is if your computer will not boot and you need to reinstall or repair windows. That should be a vary rare event.
Hope this helps.

Gerry
Stourport, England

Enquire Plan Execute
Mike Hall MVP
Found this helpful 2
Mike Hall MVP replied on

No, you shouldn't, no point. Defrag just lists partitions and drives, making no distinction as to their use or what is on them..

Scheduled events happen nearest to the time allocated, assuming power is on..

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit - Start8
Location - SWO, Canada
Palcouk
Found this helpful 0
Palcouk replied on
BTW Have you made your recovery disk set?
justinleelondon
Found this helpful 0
justinleelondon replied on

Thanks and yes i have made my recovery disk set.
justinleelondon
Found this helpful 0

I have gone into the defrag scheduler and the recovery partition is selected by default. If you shouldn't defrag it why is it selected? I agree, i cannot see the need to ever defrag this partition so why is it selected by default?
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP
Found this helpful 2
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP replied on
MVP
I am using Windows 7 x64 and I would like to know whether it is safe to defragment my recovery partition? Seeing as it is listing in the Disk Defragmenter, which states that only disks which can be defragmented are shown i am assuming that it is.

I recently had to reinstall windows on one of my laptops so checked the disks for fragmentation a fews days later and i noticied that all disks had been defraged apart from C: drive and the recovery partition.

I also have a brand new laptop, which is also running Windows 7 x64 and all disks were defraged apart from C: drive again. Having looked at the schedule the date/time had not come up yet so i am assuming that is why, but why would windows choose to defrag one drive but not another?

Lastly, i notice Windows chooses to schedule a defrag every Wedneday at 01:00 by default so i assume if my laptop is off it will start the defrag process the next time i turn my system on, correct?

No, you should never do anything to this partition (other than burning a DVD from it). If you've never written anything there, it hasn't gotten fragmented, and doesn't need defragging.

And by the way, Windows 7 defrags itself automatically, so you never really need to defrag any partition.

Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP since October 2003
Palcouk
Found this helpful 1
Palcouk replied on

Simply because the default setting is for all partitions. Win does not know that its a recovery partition
Gerry C J Cornell
Found this helpful 1

Justin

Microsoft logic often defies reason. Check system restore. It should only be monitoring your c (system) partition. Unless the user is alert it can often be found to be monitoring all drives, even external drives which result restore points failing if external drives are connected one moment and disconnected the next..

Hope this helps.

Gerry
Stourport, England

Enquire Plan Execute
J W Stuart
Found this helpful 0
J W Stuart replied on

The problem is computer manufacture was not smart enought to configure Windows prior to making the master image.

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
justinleelondon
Found this helpful 0

Thanks my question has been answered :)
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next