Reliability history reports Windows is not being shut down properly.

On 4-19-2010 my system started reporting that I am not shutting Windows down properly. I find this info in Action Center, Maintenance, View reliability history. This event happens a few days in a row and then not for a few days or every other day etc. No real pattern. I boot this pc every morning and leave it on all day until I retire for the night around 11:15 pm. I shut down from the start button, shut down button after I have closed all programs, email, browser etc. This is a five month old Dell Studio XPS 9000 desktop with an Intel Core i7 processor and 12GB of RAM runing Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Since the system seems to be working fine I would just like to know if anyone has any idea why this event keeps showing up in the Action Center? Any help is greatly appreciated.  
Answer
Answer
After tinkering with different things I have come to the conclusion that an update to my CA AV Plus software is causing the problem. They updated their software on 4-19 and it required a reboot. That is when the issue started. That update also slowed the boot time for my new XPS notebook that has a SSDD (solid state disk drive). After removing CA AV Plus from my desktop pc I installed a trial version of AVG AV. After ten days the reliability monitor never once gave me that error message. I then removed AVG AV and installed CA AV Plus back in and two days later the improper shutdown error appeared again. During that time I removed CA AV Plus from my notebook which was having slow boot issues and installed AVG AV and that pc boots up in less than 35 seconds from pushing the power button till my wallpaper appears. Both pc's also shut down in less than 20 seconds via Start/Shut down buttons. Since I can't convince CA support this is an issue with their product I am quitting CA and am going to purchase AVG AV in the coming days. I hope this may help someone else. I won't be monitoring this feed any longer but will certainly add something if the issues start in again.
Greg
Thanks, Greg

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Thanks for your reply Cody,

I read and printed out the article you suggested. The only problem I have in doing the "clean boot" is the reliability history only reports this issue the next morning after I shut down after 11:00 pm. So am I to understand I must leave the pc with half the services disabled for the whole day and see what happens when I boot the next morning and keep doing this day after day to see if any of the services cause this issue? Like I wrote before, shutting down via Ctrl/Alt/Del and then the shutdown button on that screen never causes the issue. I shut down last night normally via the start button/shutdown and got no entry in the reliability history today. Also I have rebooted and shut down the system during the day on several occasions and never get a notice that an unexpected shutdown occured, only the shutdown at the end of the day. I hate when I have an issue that is intermitant at best so I really get nervous about changing any Windows settings. I'll see what the system reports over the next few days and consider this thread as answered since I can do the workaround to keep the reliability history clean. Thanks again for your time.

Greg
Thanks, Greg

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 1, 2021 Views 4,219 Applies to: