d00dyhead
Had this question 4
Question
d00dyhead asked on

Performance increase using SSD for paging/fetch/cache or ReadyBoost? (Win7)

Hi, Have an extra 16gb SATA SSD and looking for a means of adding performance to my PC.  It would be helpful for me to free up 16gb from the main drive if possible, or perhaps speed up the system by a notch or so. Was thinking I might be able to move the paging (fetch? cache?) files to the spare SSD to increase main drive space, or designate the spare ssd as a readyboost device for a slight speed boost. Any suggestions?

SYSTEM HW/OS
Main c:\drive is gen2 Intel 160Gb SSD
Data drive is a traditional 7200rpm SATA2 drive
i7-870 CPU, 8GB of uber-fast RAM
Running Windows7 Ultimate 64bit

Also have a zippy patriot 16gb USB drive that I used to use as a readyboost device before I switched to a SSD -- any thoughts on how to make this useful?
Bikesh T
Found this helpful 0
Bikesh T replied on
Microsoft

Hi,

Increasing the paging file size can help prevent low memory problems, it can also make your programs run more slowly. Because your computer reads information from RAM much faster than from a hard disk (where the paging file is), making too much virtual memory         .

Ready boost is also a good option, but we need to make sure that the SSD card is compatible with Ready boost.  The core idea of Ready Boost is that a flash drive has a much faster seek time (less than 1 ms), allowing it to satisfy requests faster than a hard disk when booting or reading certain system files. It also leverages the inherent advantage of two parallel sources from which to read data.

You may also have a look into the links below:

Windows Ready Boost

Ready Boost Compatibility

Ways to improve your computer's performance

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,
Chethan Kumar.

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer. Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Microsoft-Forum Moderator
d00dyhead
Found this helpful 1
d00dyhead replied on

PREMISE/ASSUMPTIONS
all SSD drives that I know of (including Generation1 SSDs) have a 1ms or less access time, sequential read speed (similarly) is extremely fast (let's say an average speed of 225mb/s seq read). If we assume an averageready-boost capable USB drive comparatively has ~8.5mb writes and ~31.5mb reads, then SSDs should be faster in every case - and thus be disabled when using a ssd? (please let me know if there is an error to this logic)

BACKGROUND
As I understand it, readyboost is useful in speeding up systems with amounts of RAM near the stated Win7 minimum by using USB Flash memory as a type of cache for frequently accessed files with the understanding that access times and sequential reads are faster from USB flash than from traditional spinning hard drives (albiet slower than from RAM). To be forthright, I really don't understand the difference in Windows caches (superfetch, readyboost, pagefile).

QUESTION
So the questions(s) I am curious in getting answered is: in a Win7 x64 system with 12gb ram and main/OS drive=256gb gen2 SSD, and a data drive=traditional 7200rpm sata2,

• Will running ReadyBoost with the given amount of RAM be helpful or hindrance? 
  • Would it be a hindrance to the above system to attempt to run ReadyBoost off a USB, seeing as OS (SSD) drive speeds are far faster? 
  • Is it possible (via registry setting change) to run ReadyBoost off an (internal) SSD drive instead of a removable media device? Would doing so be helpful?
    (let's say there is an extra 16gb SSD laying around that could be purposed for this if helpful)
NOTES
I appreciate your consideration in helping to clear up my lack of understanding. As a scientist, I can ask some pretty painfully complex and detailed questions. if I have asked something unknowable, any analysis you can provide will be welcome. Thank you.
Jack Tripper
Found this helpful 0
Jack Tripper replied on

i know that ReadyBoost was not designed to take advantage of an installed SSD drive.

ReadyBoost is designed to store frequently needed data on a flash-based USB device. The cache in encrypted with a key that changes with each boot of Windows. Because the cache is encrypted with a session-based key: the cached data cannot be used between reboots; nor can it be used to speed up booting, or aid SuperFetch as the user is logging on. (The cache is encrypted because USB sticks can be easily removed, while internal hard drives cannot be easily removed).

i know i can manually place a paging file on the SSD drive. i know i could manually page Photoshop's scratch files on the SSD drive. But Windows knows what data i frequently access (SuperFetch, ReadyBoot), and can place that cache on a Solid State Drive.

Does Windows 7 have any capabilities to take advantage of an SSD drive (an internal drive, without the concern of being easily or commonly removed) so that the user can have a better experience from boot to usable session?

Does Windows 7 have the ability to use use the benefits of SuperFetch, ReadyBoost, and ReadyBoost to take advantage of an SSD drive as a cache location, using it similar to ReadyDrive - but as a separate device?

tl;dr: Will ReadyBoost not encrypt itself on an internal drive?

tl;dr: How can i make SuperFetch use SSD for additional cache?

quietobserver
Found this helpful 0
quietobserver replied on

I read here that "hardware manufacturers" can disable encryption on "internal, non-removable ReadyBoost devices": http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff356869.aspx

I also find the particular setting here, for unattended setup:
It specifies an "EnableEncryption" key which defines whether ReadyBoost on internal non-removable devices are encrypted.  Unfortunately it defaults to "true".

However, I haven't been able to find out where I might be able to change the same setting on an already-installed system.  It doesn't appear to be in Local Group Policy, and I haven't been able to find something like it in the registry either.  If someone can point to where this setting might be changed, it would be really helpful.
Gordon B-P
Found this helpful 0
Gordon B-P replied on
I can't imagine that as you have 8GB of RAM that using readyboost will make one iota of difference to performance...
http://gbpwindowsresources.wordpress.com/

MS Community Contributor Award 2011
CoolViper777
Found this helpful 0
CoolViper777 replied on

I think that people are missing the point.  He's asking the question, "How best to use my 2nd drive, which is a 16GB SSD." 

While its true that you don't need ReadyBoost if your OS/Applications drive is an SSD, ReadyBoost CAN be useful to speed up your slow OS/Applications HDD (spinning drive). 

In fact, I just started a job, where my work PC has fast CPU, 8GB memory, but a fairly slow HD.  Upgrading the HD is not really an option at this point.   

To speed it up, I bought a 120GB Samsung 830 SSD, and hooked it up using eSATA to my work PC.  When I plugged it in, it prompted me if I wanted to use ReadyBoost on my external eSATA SSD.  I said yes, and allocated 32GB initially, which I've dropped to 20GB. 

ReadyBoost on the eSATA SSD has helped the slow main HDD a lot.  Visual Studio 2010 now launches in 1 second, versus 4 or 5 seconds before. 

I'm exploring whether I should move my pagefile.sys to the SSD also.  Haven't done it yet.  But, bottom line, don't be afraid to hook up an extra SSD to your system as a 2nd drive, and enable ReadyBoost. 

Palcouk
Found this helpful 0
Palcouk replied on

Have you updated the ssd firmare? the latest provides a boost

There are other ssd's that provide significantly better performance in large file read/writes

Are you actually seeing any real world performance increase when working with data, or is this simply a lab test exercise?

16gb readyboost is not going to make one iota of difference

tyrred
Found this helpful 0
tyrred replied on
if you want fast ,raid o two same sise ssd`s . or use a ram drive .