Memory leak with Explorer.exe in Videos folder.

Memory leak with Explorer.exe in Videos folder with thumbnails enabled. Using Resource Monitor, I can see that explorer.exe is reading the video files, while memory increases steadily until it is 99%. No such memory leak problems when i set the layout as "list" (i.e. no thumbnails). Disabling thumbnails also eliminates the memory leak problem, but that is not what I want.  Videos folder consists of mainly .MKV files, with the video codec within the MKV container being H.264 high profile. I have tried to disassociate all media files with Media Player Classic Home Theater (which i use to watch mkv videos).

Most importantly, this problem only seems to have appeared after i installed SP1.

Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1, C2D E8500, 8GB RAM, Western Digital 2TB Green Caviar.

More info: I realized that this only happens with video files that have no thumbnail generated. It's as though Windows Explorer is reading through the entire video file to generate a thumbnail, but even after a long time it still doesn't generate a thumbnail.

How to fix? HELP!!!! THANKS!
Answer
Answer
OMG I FOUND OUT WHY. IT WAS DIVX THAT WAS CAUSING IT. THE MOMENT I UNINSTALLED IT NO MORE PROBLEMS!!! SCREW DIVX!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2024 Views 1,813 Applies to: