ejslate82
Had this question 31
Question
ejslate82 asked on

Low Battery Notification does not pop up when battery reaches critical level after upgrading to windows 7

I upgraded to windows 7 recently and the battery notification does not work when the battery reaches it's critical level.  It worked fine with vista.  Before when the battery reached 25% the icon in the notification area there was a visual reminder and when the level reached 5% a pop up would occur.  Now with windows 7 I get nothing to remind me.  I checked in the power options where I can edit my power plans and the battery notification read that it was turned on.

vbennyda
Found this helpful 3
Answer
vbennyda replied on

I was also having this problem of Windows 7 of just going into hibernate on low battery without notification.

I checked out the Microsoft site for Battery faq and how t change low battery notification which didn't tell me something I didn't already know. So I decided to experiment some. I discovered that when I changed my Critical Battery Action to "Shut Down" from "Hibernate", the Low Battery Notification popped up and  could switch to a power source. I changed the Critical Battery Action back to "Hibernate" and the Low Battery Notification still pops up. I guess the system just needed a little push :)

My install is barely a week old so I guess the installation didn't make the correct settings. Having applied some changes to the settings has caused the system to behave correctly in this case.

I hope this will help others with this issue.

Cheers

Meghmala
Found this helpful 2
Answer
Meghmala replied on
Microsoft

Hi ejslate82,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers.

I would suggest you to follow the below mentioned steps and check if this helps -
The icon might be hidden. Here's how to show the battery icon:

1. Right-click an empty area on the taskbar, and then click Properties.
  2. Under Notification area, click Customize.
  3. In Notification Area Icons, click Turn system icons on or off.
  4. On the Turn system icons on or off page, under Behaviors, click On in the drop-down list next to Power, and then click OK.

Refer to the below mentioned links for additional guidance on the issue –

Battery meter FAQ –
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Battery-meter-frequently-asked-questions

How do I change low battery notification -
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-change-the-low-battery-notification

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.
Thanks,
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

BatteryIssue
Found this helpful 16
Most Helpful Reply
BatteryIssue replied on

Hi Meghmala,

I am facing similar issue. What you mentioned is irrelevant for the person who has upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista and has already the notifivation on in his system.

I think you need to read the que carefully, before just providing the generic solution you guys are taught before understanding the actual problem.

And yes, to ans you, IT DOES NOT HELP!! The result is: Nothing changed!! what you suggested was already there!!

Also i checked both the links you provided. Both the links are useless in the problem we guys are facing i.e.:

1). We have upgraded from Vista to Windows 7

2). The notification is "ON" and the ICON is also there

3). THE ISSUE IS THAT WE DO NOT GET THE POP UP REMINDER "NOW" AFTER UPGRADING TO WINDOWS 7, FOR LOW BATTERY AND SYSTEM JUST GETS SWITCHED OFF WHILE WE ARE WORKING.... (In Vista, we use to get a Pop Up reminder that the battery level is low, charge it)

I hope all the people who are facing this issue would agree to it and can now Microsoft team please find a solution for this issue!!???

Meghmala
Found this helpful 2
Answer
Meghmala replied on
Microsoft

Hi ejslate82,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers.

I would suggest you to follow the below mentioned steps and check if this helps -
The icon might be hidden. Here's how to show the battery icon:

1. Right-click an empty area on the taskbar, and then click Properties.
  2. Under Notification area, click Customize.
  3. In Notification Area Icons, click Turn system icons on or off.
  4. On the Turn system icons on or off page, under Behaviors, click On in the drop-down list next to Power, and then click OK.

Refer to the below mentioned links for additional guidance on the issue –

Battery meter FAQ –
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Battery-meter-frequently-asked-questions

How do I change low battery notification -
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-change-the-low-battery-notification

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.
Thanks,
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

KnightWolf647
Found this helpful 5
KnightWolf647 replied on

I have the exact same issue (bug) and its really gotten irritating, countless times I've been in the middle of reading or working and have had it shut down on me without any warning. The funky part is that it will show the notification when it feels like it, but at least 8-9/10 times it will not.

Why can an open source OS like Linux get this "feature" correct yet a muli-million dollar corporation cannot?

As per your you "recommendations" they appear irrelevant to the issue as this has to do with the POP-UP warning not the taskbar icon. And as with the previous poster the notification is set to on.
benchannell
Found this helpful 1
benchannell replied on

I have the same problem notification of low battery is set to on yet does not notify or warn. it is a bug My problem is with a new HP probook 4510s  came with Vista Business but has been upgraded to Windows 7 . not sure if it affected Vista
obiWan
computer44
Found this helpful 1
computer44 replied on

I have the same problem. After upgrade to windows 7 no battery meter icon. I tried going to properties-notification-customize-behaviours. On the drop down list power does not even appear. Other icons do and work properly. I tried showing hidden icons and that didn't work either. I am the administrator and only user although it hasn't asked me for a password.
BatteryIssue
Found this helpful 16
BatteryIssue replied on

Hi Meghmala,

I am facing similar issue. What you mentioned is irrelevant for the person who has upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista and has already the notifivation on in his system.

I think you need to read the que carefully, before just providing the generic solution you guys are taught before understanding the actual problem.

And yes, to ans you, IT DOES NOT HELP!! The result is: Nothing changed!! what you suggested was already there!!

Also i checked both the links you provided. Both the links are useless in the problem we guys are facing i.e.:

1). We have upgraded from Vista to Windows 7

2). The notification is "ON" and the ICON is also there

3). THE ISSUE IS THAT WE DO NOT GET THE POP UP REMINDER "NOW" AFTER UPGRADING TO WINDOWS 7, FOR LOW BATTERY AND SYSTEM JUST GETS SWITCHED OFF WHILE WE ARE WORKING.... (In Vista, we use to get a Pop Up reminder that the battery level is low, charge it)

I hope all the people who are facing this issue would agree to it and can now Microsoft team please find a solution for this issue!!???

faraqsa
Found this helpful 2
faraqsa replied on

same problem !

MeghmalaPLS READ !!!

ur answer doesn't solve the problem !!!

mad_dog1979
Found this helpful 2
mad_dog1979 replied on

Unfortunately the built in tool doesn't seem to be working...

When I came across this thread yesterday I decided maybe I should write a small app myself.

It just sits in the system tray and you can set the battery level you want to trigger a notification (system tray bubble) + the usual charging/charged etc status.

So if anybody wants a copy, email me at live.com

BatteryIssue
Found this helpful 1
BatteryIssue replied on

Hey Buddy (Mad_Dog1979),

I could not figure out your email so replying you here. I would be interested to check a solution for this program. You can email me at:  *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Would look forward to your response.

Rupesh

mad_dog1979
Found this helpful 1
mad_dog1979 replied on

it's just my user name...

mad_dog1979

at live.com

mad_dog1979
Found this helpful 4
mad_dog1979 replied on

Hi All,

I've decided to try and stick the updates in one of those free upload sites... so here you go. Otherwise, just email me at live.com

http://www.mediafire.com/MadDogApps

Previous Previous Page of 6 Next Next