Ripiz
Had this question 12
Question
Ripiz asked on

IRQ conflict - Onboard LAN and Sound card, how to change IRQ?

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, using ASUS P5B-VM motherboard, with BIOS 901, default setting except Memory Remapping is enabled. Intel E400 CPU, Creative Audigy SE sound card.

Problem is, that my onboard LAN card and Sound Card are using same IRQ, and whenever I use my internet connection, sound buffer doesn't get updated, making same sound repeat several times.

How to change IRQ of either of them?
Azeez N
Found this helpful 0
Azeez N replied on
Microsoft
Hi Ripiz,

I don' think there is any easy way of manually assigning interrupts in Windows 7, short of editing the registry, which without guidance from the manufacturer would be very dangerous. If there are true device conflicts, Windows 7 will let you change resources like IRQs in the Device Manager. But you only have legitimate sharing, not conflicts.

Your only hope is to uninstall the drivers for all the onboard devices that you can, shut down, reboot and then disable the same onboard devices that use IRQs in the BIOS. Reboot and re-enable them in the BIOS one by one to see if the IRQs change. Obviously you can't disable any devices needed for booting, but floppy disk controller, audio, USB (assuming your mouse and keyboard aren't USB) and Firewire controllers are good examples ones that can be disabled.

Steps to update sound drivers manually from the Device manager.

1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.‌

2.      In the list of hardware categories, find the device that you want to update, and then double-click the device name.

3.      Click the Driver tab, click Update Driver, and then follow the instructions. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

For further information, visit the below mentioned link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

The only other possibilities are to try changing the "Plug and Play OS" option in the BIOS or to see if it has a BIOS upgrade.

Is it possible that your sound problems are not related to the IRQ sharing? One way to test it is to disable onboard sound and buy (or borrow) a sound card.

BIOS DISCLAIMER:

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Regards,
Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support
Ripiz
Found this helpful 0
Ripiz replied on

I uninstalled Driver, rebooted and disabled LAN card in BIOS, started windows, then rebooted again, enabled LAN card, booted windows, installed driver, and it again uses same IRQ.
Sound Card drivers are up to date
Plug and Play OS option in BIOS made to change.

It's surely conflict, because when I disable internet connection through windows, or unplug cable, all problems go away. Also there are no problems if I don't use internet connection

Edit:
At first I tried searching registry, to change IRQ, however I haven't found any way. May I know how to do that?
AndyCalling
Found this helpful 0
AndyCalling replied on

I assume your LAN controller is onboard and your Audigy is a PCI card? If so, move your Audigy card to a different slot. There should be one PCI slot which does not share with anything. Your motherboard manual should tell you which slot this is (on my ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe it is the bottom most PCI slot). It is generally advised that this slot is used for your sound card (unless you have something else very exotic that needs it). Put the Audigy in this independent PCI slot and your problems should evaporate.
Ripiz
Found this helpful 0
Ripiz replied on

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/9958/capturedm.png

They all seem to be shared
AndyCalling
Found this helpful 0
AndyCalling replied on

Hmm. I hate those tables. No real use though, since you only seem to have two PCI slots so you can only switch it from the one you're using to the other one. The only problem there is that that one shares with almost everything else! Still, worth a try.
ayawrick
Found this helpful 0
ayawrick replied on
Your problem isn't IRQ conflict / sharing. IRQ sharing is part of the PCI specification / standard - standard that all PCI devices must follow.

You needed to worry about IRQs with ISA and VESA buses ... well, and with non ACPI complaint systems, but that's all in the past.
No matter what, you can't control PCI IRQs.

It seems the problem you see is most likely with Creative drivers (they've been really bad for the last decade). You might want to try ditching Audigy for onboard sound.
Ripiz
Found this helpful 0
Ripiz replied on

There are no free slots, so I can't move it. But as I mentioned before, on Vista it was alright, so there is chance of Windows issue
AndyCalling
Found this helpful 0
AndyCalling replied on

Well, you'll find that Creative cards lower than an Audigy 2 are often IRQ sensative. Yes, I know if they followed spec properly they oughtn't be, but they are. Lots of other cheap sound cards were like this too.

My Audigy 2 works fine in Win 7 on my ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe with Win7. The A2 was a significant leap from the old style cards. It's waht the A1 should have been.

Get a new sound card. Those X-Fi cards are not too expensive so I expect they'll be even better than my A2.
Ripiz
Found this helpful 0
Ripiz replied on

Awww this is sad =[
But why there weren't any problems back on Vista? IRQ Conflict still been there...

Is there any way to give Sound Card higher priority, or LAN Card lower priority?
DeltaTech
Found this helpful 0
DeltaTech replied on

I'm having a similar problem with my laptop.  DPS Latency and sound stuttering due to the ethernet controller card sharing IRQ's. 

To assign IRQ priority, follow the instructions here:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-vista-tips/manage-irq-settings-windows-vista-7/

I haven't followed this yet, so if you decide to try, let me know how it turns out. ;-)
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next