Chimel
Had this question 6
Question
Chimel asked on

Incorrect low space warning (red usage bar) in Computer

Hi, my disk has over 100GB of free space, but the usage bar in Computer is displayed in red, as if it reached a low space limit. It looks like Windows applies the same 10% or 15% hard disk space value for low space warnings, regardless of if the disk is 50GB in size or 1.5TB, which is not very smart and obsolete for most recent computers.

Is there a Registry key or some place I can change this percentage so the usage bar displays in green, not red?

The hibernation and page files are already reserved (5GB together), so surely the low space warning for a 1.5TB disk should be 5-10GB, not 150GB or more. The way Windows 7 computes the low space limit seems pretty dumb, not much Intellisense there.

This is not a high priority issue, but it makes the Computer applet look pretty stupid and it's irritating every day to see that 100GB of free space is putting my computer in the red.
It would also be nice to be able to edit this low limit percentage in Computer/Manage/Storage/Disk Management or directly in the disk properties ("Tools" tab).
Naman R
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Naman R replied on

Hi Chimel,

This is by architecture; unfortunately there is no option to change the percentage for the low space warnings on the computer.

You may provide the feedback about adding any new feature to the Operating System on the link: http://connect.microsoft.com

Thanks and Regards:
Swathi B - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Chimel
Found this helpful 0
Chimel replied on

Thanks, Swathi. Sorry to hear there is no way to customize this hard-coded single value.
BTW, no new comers can make software suggestions for improvement on Windows 7 or 8, these "connections" are not open for new participants, FAQ says:
"If a program is not listed under the Program section of Connection Directory , it is currently not accepting new customers. "

Currently, users can only report bugs or suggestions for improvement via these social.answers posts, MS Connect is not accessible for this purpose. :(

Please report a bug on this issue, having 100GB of free space showing my system in the red is ridiculous.
I don't really mind if the values are hard-coded, but at least ask MS to compute the low disk limit smartly, according to actual OS requirements and partition capacity, not a dumb unique percentage value that does not work with current and future disk capacities. I assume that when I finally plug in my external RAID x8 enclosure, Windows will emit warnings when I run under 1.3TB of free space...  ^-^

Just doing my bit to make Windows more usable...
all_trades_jack
Found this helpful 0
all_trades_jack replied on

Late to the party, I know...

I really couldn't care less about the red color of the usage bar, but the associated popup warning dialogs that I'm continually having to clear away whenever I have my 1.5TB USB drive with less than 10% space free (but 100GB still open) connected to the system are killing me.

I'm not talking about the little unobtrusive notification area speech bubble warnings (which I never see anyway).  I'm talking about the big low disk space warning dialog that pops up in the center of my primary monitor from time to time -- usually just as I'm trying to do a screen capture video for work, or a LiveMeeting with a client.  >8-(

PLEASE tell me there's a way to at least prevent the popup warnings from appearing on top of my active application dozens of times a day, right?

Chimel
Found this helpful 0
Chimel replied on

I don't have these warnings in Windows 7, but there's plenty of information on the web on how to remove them for Vista, just search for your own words, "low disk space warning," this should work for Windows 7 too.
all_trades_jack
Found this helpful 0
all_trades_jack replied on

After weeks of searching, I finally discovered that warning was being generated by a Dell OpenManage client.  The solution (for *my* problem) was to change a registry key to adjust the "low" threshold from 10% to something more reasonable like 1%.  In the end, I found the solution at:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1092681342

..and the key in question was:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DELL\OpenManage\Client\SysInfo\HDDThresholdValue

...and of course, I found that solution shortly after finally asking here.  Isn't that how it always works?  :-)

Hope this helps the next guy who is annoyed with these messages.  Now if we could only get Microsoft to implement a similar key for your red bar display problem...

Chimel
Found this helpful 0
Chimel replied on

Yeah, I was wondering about that, there was no Windows pop-up on top of applications, I think it was merely a balloon from the notification area bar, your problem did not look Microsoft. Glad you were able to fix it.

Lol, I have 2 3TB drives now, they'll see red when I have "only" 300GB free. This is pretty bad for archive disks that are rather static and tend to be filled to the trim so appear red all the time when it's by design. Oh well.

And why is this thread corrupted and appears all in bold, or is it just me?
Why also many RSS notifications like for this thread are flagged as dangerous by Microsoft Hotmail???
Please MS support people, forward to the relevant persons, I already escalated it to no avail.

Docchris1980
Found this helpful 2
Docchris1980 replied on

I've got a 30TB RAID-6 array.

It's highlighted in red as being low on disk space when i get less than 3TB free on it!!!

i've currently got 2,580 gb of free space - and it's warning me that isn't enough!
Petru Maxian
Found this helpful 4
Petru Maxian replied on
Hey there,

As far as I can see, you (like me) have more like a visual problem with those nasty red bars than a functional one. Hence, I could suggest you to look at the problem from a new perspective in order to solve the problem.

OK, you can't change the percentage because it's hardcoded...well, just get rid of those bars and voila - problem solved.

1. Run REGEDIT as administrator
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive
3. Change the values for both TileInfo and PreviewDetails keys (double click on the keys) by removing the phrase "System.PercentFull;", without the quotes.

The
TileInfo key:
Before: prop:*System.PercentFull;System.Computer.DecoratedFreeSpace;System.Volume.FileSystem
After: prop:*System.Computer.DecoratedFreeSpace;System.Volume.FileSystem

The
PreviewDetails key:
Before: prop:*System.PercentFull;System.FreeSpace;System.Capacity;System.Volume.FileSystem;*System.Volume.BitLockerProtection
After:prop:*System.FreeSpace;System.Capacity;System.Volume.FileSystem;*System.Volume.BitLockerProtection

Open My Computer, you should be able to see the absence of the color bars. If you still see them, just restart windows explorer, or, if you don't know how to do this, just restart Windows.
5. Enjoy !!!

Hope it helps someone, it surely helped me get less unnecessary "red color" on my screen :))

Regards,
CharlesWood.HT
Found this helpful 0
CharlesWood.HT replied on

Hey there,

As far as I can see, you (like me) have more like a visual problem with those nasty red bars than a functional one. Hence, I could suggest you to look at the problem from a new perspective in order to solve the problem.

OK, you can't change the percentage because it's hardcoded...well, just get rid of those bars and voila - problem solved.

1. Run REGEDIT as administrator
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive
3. Change the values for both TileInfo and PreviewDetails keys (double click on the keys) by removing the phrase "System.PercentFull;", without the quotes.

The
TileInfo key:
Before: prop:*System.PercentFull;System.Computer.DecoratedFreeSpace;System.Volume.FileSystem
After: prop:*System.Computer.DecoratedFreeSpace;System.Volume.FileSystem

The
PreviewDetailskey:
Before: prop:*System.PercentFull;System.FreeSpace;System.Capacity;System.Volume.FileSystem;*System.Volume.BitLockerProtection
After:prop:*System.FreeSpace;System.Capacity;System.Volume.FileSystem;*System.Volume.BitLockerProtection

Open My Computer, you should be able to see the absence of the color bars. If you still see them, just restart windows explorer, or, if you don't know how to do this, just restart Windows.
5. Enjoy !!!

Hope it helps someone, it surely helped me get less unnecessary "red color" on my screen :))

Regards,

Assumptions:

This would work the same for mapped network drives

It applies to the client and not the server hosting the shares

Are my assumptions correct?

Petru Maxian
Found this helpful 0
Petru Maxian replied on

Hi, 

this should work for any drives displayed on the workstation where the fix was applied.

It is Windows based, so if you apply it on specific PC, all drives on that particular PC will not have an annoying red bar.

Hope that helped.

Regards,

hyperionus