Hemant Kapil
Had this question 4
Question
Hemant Kapil asked on

How to Create another Partition in Windows 7 without losing any data

Hi, i recently bought Toshiba satellite A660 notebook with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit installed. I want to create one more partition on my drive. I used the windows utility Disk Management to extend the simple basic boot partition but when i right click on the C drive the Extend option is grayed. Can anyone help me please. Disk Management shows three partitions

( 1.46GB Healthy Active Recovery Partition )

( C: Toshiba 453.89 Healthy Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary )

( 10.40GB Healthy Primary Partition ).

There is no unallocated free partition & i want to create another partition from the C: Drive without losinf any date. Is there any software or if anyone can provide me step by step guide to create. Help will really be appreciated. Thanking in anticipation.

TrekDozer
Found this helpful 1
Answer
TrekDozer replied on

Resizing Or Creating New Partition in Windows 7

Using Windows 7 Disk Management (doesn't always allow making changes):

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

If you are unable to make changes to partitions using Disk Management below are partitioning programs you can use.

Paragon Partition Manager (free):

A good program for making general changes to hard drive partitions while Windows is running. Create, delete, format, and resize partitions with this program. It can also defragment, check file system integrity, and more. Be careful, re-sizing partitions is usually safe but errors can happen, and always backup anything important before modifying partitions on your hard drive.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/download.html

EASEUS Partition Master (free):

Includes Partition Manager, Disk & Partition Copy Wizard and Partition Recovery Wizard for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit). It allows users to Resize/Move Partition, Extend System Drive, Copy Disk & Partition, Merge Partition, Split Partition, Redistribute Free Space, Convert Dynamic Disk, Partition Recovery and more. Be careful, re-sizing partitions is usually safe but errors can happen, and always backup anything important before modifying partitions on your hard drive.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.
CHARLESWILSON
Found this helpful 1
Answer
CHARLESWILSON replied on
Hi,

As is known to us all basic disk is limited to 4 primary partitions or 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition which can contain multiple logical drives.

Now you have three primary partition already. You can use snap-in Disk Management to shrink large C drive and create some unallocated space. Then right click on unallocated and select "New Simple Volume" to follow the wizard. The new partition will automatically be made as logical drive.

In such case, you cannot shrink any primary partition to create new partition anymore. If you do that, you will get error message: "you cannot create a new volume in this unallocated space because the disk already contains maximum number of partitions"

At the same time, you cannot decrease the allocated space beyond the point where the unmovable files are located.

Learn more detailed information, please visit :

<Link removed by moderators>
TrekDozer
Found this helpful 1
Answer
TrekDozer replied on

Resizing Or Creating New Partition in Windows 7

Using Windows 7 Disk Management (doesn't always allow making changes):

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

If you are unable to make changes to partitions using Disk Management below are partitioning programs you can use.

Paragon Partition Manager (free):

A good program for making general changes to hard drive partitions while Windows is running. Create, delete, format, and resize partitions with this program. It can also defragment, check file system integrity, and more. Be careful, re-sizing partitions is usually safe but errors can happen, and always backup anything important before modifying partitions on your hard drive.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/download.html

EASEUS Partition Master (free):

Includes Partition Manager, Disk & Partition Copy Wizard and Partition Recovery Wizard for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit). It allows users to Resize/Move Partition, Extend System Drive, Copy Disk & Partition, Merge Partition, Split Partition, Redistribute Free Space, Convert Dynamic Disk, Partition Recovery and more. Be careful, re-sizing partitions is usually safe but errors can happen, and always backup anything important before modifying partitions on your hard drive.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Hemant Kapil
Found this helpful 0
Hemant Kapil replied on

You need to look at the sites you provide mate. None of them are useful. Tell me some other options of doing it, if not then even you need to look for some better choices. Anyhow thanks.

TrekDozer
Found this helpful 0
TrekDozer replied on

There is no unallocated free partition & i want to create another partition

Both EASEUS and Paragon partitioning programs allow you to resize and create partitions.

If there is no unallocated free space you must first shrink one partition before you can create another partition. If your hard drive is too small and you need more space you must buy a larger hard drive.

Also, you should not change the boot or recovery partitions.
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

CHARLESWILSON
Found this helpful 1
Answer
CHARLESWILSON replied on
Hi,

As is known to us all basic disk is limited to 4 primary partitions or 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition which can contain multiple logical drives.

Now you have three primary partition already. You can use snap-in Disk Management to shrink large C drive and create some unallocated space. Then right click on unallocated and select "New Simple Volume" to follow the wizard. The new partition will automatically be made as logical drive.

In such case, you cannot shrink any primary partition to create new partition anymore. If you do that, you will get error message: "you cannot create a new volume in this unallocated space because the disk already contains maximum number of partitions"

At the same time, you cannot decrease the allocated space beyond the point where the unmovable files are located.

Learn more detailed information, please visit :

<Link removed by moderators>
Sharif Ahmed
Found this helpful 0
Sharif Ahmed replied on
Use the Windows Disk Management  to split partition. It's free and safe and it won't make any damage to your hard disk drive in future.
If you just want to create a new partition without losing data follow the link below where step-by-step process is described with screenshots.

I am sure, it will help you.
Thanks!