Following event 7036 Shadow Copy messages we are getting daily recurring Error event ID 55, task category: (2).

In event viewer we are getting daily approximately 7288 instances of Event ID 55, Task Category: (2) Keywords: Classic. The message is: "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume OS." The error messages occur each night between 12:00:00 and about 12:02:43. Checkdisk reports no problems.

We have noticed that these errors are always preceeded by event 7036 "The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the running state." and event 7036 "The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service entered the running state." The errors are always followed by event 7036 "The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the stopped state." and event 7036 "The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service entered the stopped state."

The errror messages began following upgrade to a larger hard drive and the copying of the system partition. No other problems or errors have been experienced. Manual system restore points seem to work without problem.

Looks like a timed event causing the errors, possibly looking for a disk that is no longer there but how do I find and fix it?

Julian McIntosh

Do what the log tells you:

Run chkdsk from the command prompt to check your HDD.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Chkdsk found no problems. Just repeated this and no change. I really don't think the disk is the problem. Julian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've only gotten EID 55 once, but I'm seeing multiple instances a day of EID 7035 and 7036 w.r.t. Shadow Copy Provider service starting and stopping.  This is on a Win2k3 server with a RAID 5 array.  Client computers logging in this AM had a variety of connection problems which appear to be related.

Kurt

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could this be happening because of a corrupt MFT?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update - may have solved this problem by turning off protection on the drive causing the error 55, rebooting, then turning protection on again.  Will post here again in a few days to verify.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just posting to verify that we have not seen another EID 55 since resetting shadow copy as described above.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same thing happened to me. Resetting shadow copy seemed to fix the problem. In my case, chkdsk did find problems like:

Cleaning up 10 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 10 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 10 unused security descriptors.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 16,097 Applies to: