rebeccafrancis
Had this question 1
Question
rebeccafrancis asked on

Dell studio 1737 Kernel-power event 41 - 25 events in 7 days

Dell studio 1737 - running windows 7

Kernal-power event 41 - 25 events in 7 days (blue screen of death - numerous reasons (quota's, IRQL etc etc))

problem commenced when trying to add playstation to home network

ra media server useless on wmp and vuze disrupted media player from interacting as media server.

performed-

*turned media server off on vuze still no luck wmp interacting with playstation, bluray player etc

*playstation, bluray player etc showing as unknown device not connecting - hp laptop computer in house connecting as ra ms with no problems.

*sys file scan - no integrity violations

*mem diagnostic - all clear

*sys diagnostic - all clear

*driver update checks - all updated

*bios update (dell) - not sure if it installed but says updated in device manager

*unistalled circlass for consumer ir device not working - after unistall computer excessively slow, windows did not re-install upon re-boot as it was supposed to.

*uninstalled bluetooth mini-card(370) driver as it was not working - no result

*physically removed and re-attached hard disk and bluetooth card - no result

*blutooth Peripheral device shows as error 31- apparently not compatible with win 7 (win 7 driver installed for it)

*full virus scan - no virus

*attempted format of disk - disk will not format - did not partitioned disk first though - i read forum saying this didn't help anyway.

worked fine on network before connecting playstation to network

no blue screen shut downs in safe mode or safe mode with network

Performed all computer hardware diagnostics known to me - all clear it must be software most likely windows 7 (been working fine for a long time though) ever since trying to share files on the home network it has collapsed.

Please help i am losing my mind

Marilyn O
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Marilyn O replied on
Microsoft

You might try a Inplace Upgrade (Repair) before doing a reformat of your system.

The In-place Upgrade is a tool to repair the system. Through the special upgrade process, we will be able to repair the system. The In-place Upgrade will not affect settings like photos, movies, documents, etc. that are saved on the computer. Though this operation will not remove or modify the installed programs and files, I still suggest you backup the important files before doing this. In addition, you may have to reinstall the device drivers after this operation.

The detail steps are included as below:

In-place upgrade
====================
1. Log on the system first.
2. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
3. Click Start and choose Computer.
4. Find the "setup.exe" file in the DVD-ROM and double click it.

5. Click Install now.

6. When you are prompted to input the product key, please click Next directly without inputting any key. The setup wizard will prompt and asking if you confirm to install Windows 7 without the key and please choose to confirm.

7. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the system files of Windows 7.

Note: While performing the in-place upgrade, the system will restart automatically (Several times) to merge the files and programs, please leave the computer alone and do not configure it until the "in-place upgrade" completed. The system will start Windows 7 once it is upgraded. Once the computer is performing "in-place upgrade", you can go away and leave the computer and it will complete automatically.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Nithyananda J
Found this helpful 0
Nithyananda J replied on
Microsoft

Hi,

1.      Have you made any changes to your computer?

2.      Are you able to boot to computer in normal mode?

I would suggest you to follow the link and check.

Resolving stop (blue screen) errors in Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

Windows Kernel event ID 41 error in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2: “The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

rebeccafrancis
Found this helpful 0
rebeccafrancis replied on

i have made many changes to the computer in the form of: 
- downloading playstation media server but have un-installed it 
- changed network sharing options in windows and media player to enable better flow of data.

computer has gone back to normal speed now after initially slowing down after the consumer ir device deletion.

I have sourced a new bluetooth card driver for win 7 which is supposed to resolve issues but am still getting bluetooth enumerator yellow warning in device manager.

can boot into normal mode and have not noticed any blue screen events today the laptop has been running solidly for hours now, however playstation has not been on, it is now so i will see it has blue screen issues while the console is turned on. 

i did a silly thing i changed the registry to try and add playstation as a safe device to windows, this did not work and changed it back - but am slightly concerned this may have caused an issue, i can't remember if the the critical shut downs were happening before this or not as it has been happening for about 2 weeks now.

I have scoured online forums and this website and have not yet found an answer i have tried all of the above (my original msg) and can't determine the root cause.

forums show other people have had similar issues - commonalities are the same bluetooth card, problems started when adding to network (mine was fine on network before playstation though), ir device issues, similar blue screen warnings ( i seem to be getting a wide variety of causes for the blue screen events).

I backed up all my files 2 weeks ago after i first got the blue screen errors to an external hard drive and i got an error msg at the end saying the only file it was unable to back up was the ra media server (can't remember why now).

i will keep looking but not sure how much more trouble shooting i can do, i feel like i have exhausted all possibilities with what i have done already. only full format to go.

will give the computer some time and see if i get any more critical errors i am sure i will it is just a matter of time.

I am pretty savy with computers but am thinking i might have to pay someone to fix this if it keeps on.
Matthew_Omega
Found this helpful 0
Matthew_Omega replied on
Microsoft

Hello Rebecca,

I was going over this thread and wanted to touch base.

Did you have further issues after your last post?

Let us know.

Best regards,

Matthew_Ha

Marilyn O
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Marilyn O replied on
Microsoft

You might try a Inplace Upgrade (Repair) before doing a reformat of your system.

The In-place Upgrade is a tool to repair the system. Through the special upgrade process, we will be able to repair the system. The In-place Upgrade will not affect settings like photos, movies, documents, etc. that are saved on the computer. Though this operation will not remove or modify the installed programs and files, I still suggest you backup the important files before doing this. In addition, you may have to reinstall the device drivers after this operation.

The detail steps are included as below:

In-place upgrade
====================
1. Log on the system first.
2. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
3. Click Start and choose Computer.
4. Find the "setup.exe" file in the DVD-ROM and double click it.

5. Click Install now.

6. When you are prompted to input the product key, please click Next directly without inputting any key. The setup wizard will prompt and asking if you confirm to install Windows 7 without the key and please choose to confirm.

7. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the system files of Windows 7.

Note: While performing the in-place upgrade, the system will restart automatically (Several times) to merge the files and programs, please leave the computer alone and do not configure it until the "in-place upgrade" completed. The system will start Windows 7 once it is upgraded. Once the computer is performing "in-place upgrade", you can go away and leave the computer and it will complete automatically.

Let us know if you have any questions.