convert primary partition to extended partition

Hi,
I've created a partition on my windows 7 pc (d:) for storing data but I've discovered that it is set as a primary partition rather than an extended partition. This gives problems with acronis backup.
How can I convert it to an extended partition?

What I was thinking of doing....
1. copy the files from d: to somewhere else temporarily (no programs, just data)
2. delete the partition.
3. increase the size of  the c: partition to cover the whole disk again (using the windows 7 partition tool)
4. create the d: partition again being careful to specify "extended" this time round (using the windows 7 partition tool)

Does that make sense?
Is there an easier way?
Tom
Answer
Answer
Windows partition tool (diskmgmt.msc) doesn't come with all easy tools to mange your disks but I believe steps below should be the way around to work your needs: Also the steps below is more of: 'How to Create D (logical partition) drive in Windows 7.'
You need to be log in with Admin account ot must run below programs as Admin.

1. Backup your data for your hard drive if you need to.
2. Type diskmgmt.msc in start->run. And hit return to open the windows disk mgmt tool.
3. Right Click on 'C:' drive and select Shrink Volume', wait for the application to calculated the new sizes and hit 'Shrink'. You now have extra 'Unallocated Space' after C: that you can use. (tips de-fragment your disk first to get more extra free space).
4. Now if you create New Volume (or Partition) with the all unallocated space and if it is not the 4th Partition then by default it will be 'Primary Partition'. So to work around with that is to
keep creating small size (I would do 1 GB) Partitions until you are making the 4th one. The 4th one will be by default the 'Extended Partition (or you can say Logical Partition)'. Remember to allocate all the remaining space to this 4th one.
5. Delete those 1 GB partitions you created earlier and you can extend 'C:' or the 'D:' drive to use the free space created by deleting those 1 GB Partitions.
6. So in result you should have 2 Partition:
C: Primary Partition.
D: Extended Logical Partition.

Hope this helps.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 29, 2024 Views 423 Applies to: