Can System Reserved be defragmented?

Running Windows 7.  I have a question on defragmentation. First off, no problem in claning and defragging disk C.  Second, I noticed that "System Reserved" is fragmented at 5%.  My system doesn't let me analyze, nor defrag this area.  Why is it that it shows 5%
fragmented?  Should I just leave it alone, or is there a way to defrag this area?

Thank you.
Answer
Answer
Welcome to Microsoft Answers.

Don't worry about the Reserved area.  It is not a problem that you can't defrag it.  It won't degrade your system performance.
Bob Larson Access MVP
-----
Microsoft Access MVP 2008, 2009, 2011
If a post was helpful click the FOUND THIS HELPFUL link

141 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
If you have problem in creating partition or changing partition here are the steps:
1. Go to Control Panel(View by: category) -->System n security option.-->Administrative Tools-->Create and format hard disk partitions(Here you can change partition size which is usually done during installation of the OS,changing harddisk partition now may lead to 
formatting the entire partition(s) so be careful)
2. Disk Management window will open.
3. Here you will see all the partitions in a tabular as well as block diagram format.
4. Right click on System reserve option(any where in table or in the block)
5. You will see a pop up-->select Change Drive letter and paths....
6. Click on add-->Assign the following letter drive-->select letter of ur choice from drop down list.-->OK
7. Check My Computer for newly created partition.
8. Format it as any other drive.(As I said earlier even though the drive is empty, System will show it as partially occupied. Even after formatting it will show as partially occupied.)
9. Now try defragmenting. It may show you 0% fragmented.
10. This system reserved space provides limited rights for any common user so its of no use to us and its better for us to keep it empty and idle.
11.So follow the same steps as above to remove the letter given to the drive.
12.Step 5-->Only instead of add, click on remove.
13. Now in the System Res block will be shade with hash lines(Indicates it is idle).

I too m no professional to recommend you this method. It was just an experiment that I tried which worked out well on my PC. Just consult some knowledgable person before you try this on your system or do it at your own risk.  

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2024 Views 87,311 Applies to: