Johan G.
Had this question 50
Question
Johan G. asked on

Can I delete the system reserved partition from 100MB

Is there a possibility to install windows 7 (clean install) without making a extra (hidden) partition "system reserved" from 100mb?
or how can I delete this partition after install ?
Why is it for?
I have the meaning that this slows down my hard drive a little ? 

thanks
Debbie - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 16
Answer
Debbie - Support Engineer replied on

Hi Johan G,

Thanks for posting to Getting Ready for Windows 7 .

The 100MB partition is a system partition and contains boot files. Disk Manager will not allow you to remove this partition because removing this partition could cause the system to not boot.

Thanks for posting your question to Getting Ready for Winodws 7 community group.

Regards,

Debbie
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Debbie Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
Johan G.
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Johan G. replied on

Thanks anyway,

i wil try a install with an different harddisk.

G. Dicky Cheezums III
Found this helpful 1
G. Dicky Cheezums III replied on
I have the meaning that this slows down my hard drive a little ?
Why? How so?

There is always a little space that can't be used when partitioning a drive, but 100 MB seems excessive. What do you mean by 'hidden partition' and 'system reserved'? Is it shown like that under 'Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management->Storage'?
Johan G.
Found this helpful 1
Johan G. replied on

Yes : 'Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management->Storage'

first: System Reserved NTFS.      , system, Actif, primair partition. 100Mb  (no drive letter)

Then: C:           bootdrive, crshdump, swabdrive 280 GB

I have done a clean install, making a new partition of my hole disk. Then i get a message " must make a new partition for system files".
Then he makes a 100mb partition and install windows7 on C (300 GB) 

Am I the only one ?

Grz

Johan G.
Found this helpful 0
Johan G. replied on

I cannot format or delete that partition.
The following files are on it:

Map: Boot
Map: Recycle;bin
Map:System Volume Information

bootmgr
Bootsect.bak

When i delete the files i get the message:   "only trustedInstaller can modify this files"

Grz

G. Dicky Cheezums III
Found this helpful 0
G. Dicky Cheezums III replied on

Sorry, can't help you. I have no such partition, nor have I ever had one like that in all my time of Windows-ing, as far as I can remember.
Johan G.
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Johan G. replied on

Thanks anyway,

i wil try a install with an different harddisk.

Debbie - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 16
Answer
Debbie - Support Engineer replied on

Hi Johan G,

Thanks for posting to Getting Ready for Windows 7 .

The 100MB partition is a system partition and contains boot files. Disk Manager will not allow you to remove this partition because removing this partition could cause the system to not boot.

Thanks for posting your question to Getting Ready for Winodws 7 community group.

Regards,

Debbie
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Debbie Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
DonnieR
Found this helpful 0
DonnieR replied on

I have the same thing. This is the second install of W7, the first one being removed because of boot up problems.
On the first install this did not appear. The difference between the installs is that the second time I did not have my drives partitioned/formatted.
The warning is not to delete it since it is supposed to contain boot up information. There is some other kind of information Windows considers very important because mine is on another disk and when I went to create an image I had the warning that because that info was on the same disk I should use another one for the image.

The space taken, 100MB, is on another disk so I'm not worried about it. If I come across any info that says it's safe to delete it, then I'll think about it.

In the 100MB "System Reserve" on my one drive is the boot manager and all the boot information, so DO NOT delete it.
Grendel_VIII
Found this helpful 0
Grendel_VIII replied on

I know some tosheba laptops need that system partion with xp/vista but i never thought it was big as 100meg, it will need formating but i think the 7 install may sort that, 100meg is nothing, just leave it there. Simples
DonnieR
Found this helpful 0
DonnieR replied on

W7 is not using the whole 100MB, it is just the size that MS has set it to. Mine is using 29.6MB of the 100MB (99.9MB) currently, 70.3 is free (as reported by Properties).
This may very depending on how much free space is available, but that would have to be answered by a MS tech.
In any event, "System Reserved" is needed by W7 so DO NOT delete it.
BurrWalnut
Found this helpful 2
BurrWalnut replied on

Reply In reply to deleted message

Ninety-nine per cent of politicians give the rest a bad name.
Previous Previous Page of 14 Next Next