Seven7Seven
Had this question 7
Question
Seven7Seven asked on

Backup and Restore cannot back up folders inside custom libraries, saying it cannot find the file specified.

I created a new library 'Tools' which linked to a folder in my personal directory (C:/Users/Seven7Seven/Tools), and tried to backup this folder with the Backup and Restore program included in Windows 7. However, every time I try to perform a backup, the application runs normally for a bit, then finishes with an alert that it had to skip some files. Removing the custom library 'Tools' supresses these messages. Any idea?

Also, the log says:
Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Tools. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))
Gokul T
Found this helpful 0
Gokul T replied on
Microsoft

Hi Seven7Seven,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft answers!

This problem is due to one or more profiles under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList with missing ProfileImagePath.

To check whether you have missing profiles:

1. Click ‘Start’, type regedit.exe and hit Enter. Navigate to the below registry key.
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Expand the list

2. Click on each of the profiles listed. The first 3 profiles should have ProfileImagePath value of

%SystemRoot%\System32\Config\SystemProfile,
%SystemRoot%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService, and
%SystemRoot%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService

respectively.

3. Starting from the 4th profile, the ProfileImagePath should contain path to the user profiles on your machine, such as C:\users\Christine

4. If one or more of the profile has no profile image, then you have missing profiles.

To work around this, delete the profile in question (Caution: The registry contains critical settings that are necessary for your system to function properly. Take extra caution while making changes)

1. First, export the ProfileList key for safekeeping. (Right click on the key, choose “Export”, and save it to the desktop.)
2. Right click on the profile in question, choose delete.
3. Try backuping up again.

Refer the link below for more info on common causes and solutions to Backup errors:

Common causes and solutions to Backup, System Restore, and Complete PC Backup problems - updated!
http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/archive/2008/03/12/common-causes-and-solutions-to-backup-system-restore-and-complete-pc-backup-problems-updated.aspx

Important The above section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Gokul - Microsoft Support
Seven7Seven
Found this helpful 0
Seven7Seven replied on

Hi there! Thanks for the information! Unfortunately, there were no missing profile images. The first three entries contained the images you mentioned, and the next three contained images that pointed to my three computer users' paths, of the form C:/Users/USERNAME. Everything looked to be in order, so I did not delete any keys following the process you described. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help though—it's very much appreciated!

Additionally, I was thinking: the error mentioned not being able to find 'Tools', the library I created, in C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Tools, however, the correct location should be C:\Users\Sever7Seven\Tools. In the image keys that the registries in question pointed to, the first was set to C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile, and the fourth to C:\Users\Sever7Seven. Is it possible it was looking for the files contained by the library in the wrong profile path? How could I lead it to check my user folder rather than the system profile's folder? (Or am I just way off?)
Gokul T
Found this helpful 0
Gokul T replied on
Microsoft

Hi Seven7Seven,

Follow the methods listed below and check if the issue gets fixed:

Method 1:

I’d suggest you to do a System File Checker (SFC) scan on your computer. SFC tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.

2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue

3. At the command prompt, the following line, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

Check the below link for details:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2:

In addition to SFC scan, you may also check your drives for any errors.

You can solve some computer problems by checking a drive or drives for errors. For example, you can check your computer's primary hard disk to fix some performance issues, or you can check an external hard drive if it's not working properly.

Refer the link below for details:

Check a drive for errors
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

After completion of SFC scan and checking the drive for errors, please try to backup and check if that resolves the issue.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Seven7Seven
Found this helpful 0
Seven7Seven replied on

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I ran the file system checker as you mentioned, and it finished without errors. I did not run a drive scan, but right before installing Windows 7 I performed a full disk check, so I assume little has changed in the last month or so. Unfortunately, this did not appear to fix my error. I ran the backup application again, but recieved precisely the same error as before, alas! Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it. Any other ideas?
arthursaw
Found this helpful 0
arthursaw replied on

what i have is the 1st profile like this
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile

2nd
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService

3rd
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService

4th
C:\Users\art248

5th
C:\Users\Guest

the 2nd and 3rd profile looks kinda different that what you stated. would there b any problems?

i have also encountered windows backup not completed successfully

hope someone can enlighten me on this 
DragonsREpic
Found this helpful 0
DragonsREpic replied on

Hi Seven7Seven,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft answers!

This problem is due to one or more profiles under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList with missing ProfileImagePath.

To check whether you have missing profiles:

1. Click ‘Start’, type regedit.exe and hit Enter. Navigate to the below registry key.
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Expand the list

2. Click on each of the profiles listed. The first 3 profiles should have ProfileImagePath value of

%SystemRoot%\System32\Config\SystemProfile,
%SystemRoot%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService, and
%SystemRoot%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService

respectively.

3. Starting from the 4th profile, the ProfileImagePath should contain path to the user profiles on your machine, such as C:\users\Christine

4. If one or more of the profile has no profile image, then you have missing profiles.

To work around this, delete the profile in question (Caution: The registry contains critical settings that are necessary for your system to function properly. Take extra caution while making changes)

1. First, export the ProfileList key for safekeeping. (Right click on the key, choose “Export”, and save it to the desktop.)
2. Right click on the profile in question, choose delete.
3. Try backuping up again.

Refer the link below for more info on common causes and solutions to Backup errors:

Common causes and solutions to Backup, System Restore, and Complete PC Backup problems - updated!
http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/archive/2008/03/12/common-causes-and-solutions-to-backup-system-restore-and-complete-pc-backup-problems-updated.aspx

Important The above section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Hope this helps!

Regards,

1)
Done.

2)
Under 'ProfileList' is the following:
S-1-5-18
"ProfileImagePath   REG_EXPAND_SZ  %systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile"

S-1-5-19
"ProfileImagePath   REG_EXPAND_SZ  C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService"

S-1-5-20
"ProfileImagePath   REG_EXPAND_SZ  C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService"

3)
S-1-5-21-2851299846-3667533745-2440957981-1000
"ProfileImagePath   REG_EXPAND_SZ  C:\Users\Brandon"  (Only user)
Sounds correct.

4)None/not applicable

I have had this problem for quite some time and came over it again to see if I can solve the problem, I tried http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979281 I tried solution scenario 3 saying "The update is not applicable to your computer". I tried solution scenario 2 and tried a back-up, clicked on options, and on every file skipped said "Error:(The system cannot find the path specified. (0x80070003)"
DragonsREpic
Found this helpful 0
DragonsREpic replied on

Hi Seven7Seven,

Follow the methods listed below and check if the issue gets fixed:

Method 1:

I’d suggest you to do a System File Checker (SFC) scan on your computer. SFC tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.

2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue

3. At the command prompt, the following line, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

Check the below link for details:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2:

In addition to SFC scan, you may also check your drives for any errors.

You can solve some computer problems by checking a drive or drives for errors. For example, you can check your computer's primary hard disk to fix some performance issues, or you can check an external hard drive if it's not working properly.

Refer the link below for details:

Check a drive for errors
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

After completion of SFC scan and checking the drive for errors, please try to backup and check if that resolves the issue.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

After running scan:
"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Updated and ran a quick scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Windows Security Essentials
Malwarebytes found "Adware.TryMedia   Registry Key  HKCU\SOFTWARE\Trymedia Systems
Successfully Quarantined and deleted

Also, could I make a new account, log out of my account and run a anti malware/virus and run the back from their. Thx for the help